Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I am surprised Ross didn't win beam. Was she deducted for her beam choreography.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Mustafina is my favorite female gymnast of the current crop. She perfectly exemplifies all the traits a female gymnast should have to be successful. She is what tough determination and artistic elegance is all about. YAY ALIYA!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Mustafina hit her routine and she really does have all the qualities that make someone beautiful to watch on beam. Ross has way too many pauses in her routine and nothing about it stands out. Mustafina had original and difficult skills. Ross did the usual skills and nothing very exciting.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Oh my....

Italian gymnast, federation spokesman apologize for racial remarks

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5112018.story

In a video interview after Friday’s all-around final at the World Championships in Antwerp, gymnast Carlotta Ferlito said the Italians needed to have black skin to beat rivals like Simone Biles, the black U.S. gymnast who won the all-around title.
    The Italian federation's comments were even worse....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    Oh my....

Wow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    Oh my....

An American athlete would have been severely punished (a lengthy suspension and fine) for making such thoughtless comments. Carlotta is 18 years old, a kid really, who needs to take some world history classes. And the federation was just stupid for trying to defend such ignorant remarks. This is really a shame because Carlotta' s high popularity in Italy could've been put to better use.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    “Why aren’t there blacks in swimming?” Ciaralli wrote. “Because the sport doesn’t suit their physical characteristics. Is gymnastics becoming the same thing, to the point of wanting to be colored?”

I'm not sure I've ever seen a spokesperson say something quite this outrageous before. That's a talent, I guess.

vCash
    It doesn't really dignify a response; Go eat a big helping of mozarella cheese to go with your wine, learn how to properly apply your eye shadow, and wobble on your poor man's Vanessa Atler beam series much less.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    “Why aren’t there blacks in swimming?” Ciaralli wrote. “Because the sport doesn’t suit their physical characteristics. Is gymnastics becoming the same thing, to the point of wanting to be colored?”
    OMG, what an awful, bigoted thing to say. Disgusting!

vCash
    Hmmm...someone should tell Cullen Jones, Lia Neal, and Anthony Ervin they can't swim, even though they went to the Olympics in London and Jones won a gold medal and two silvers.

vCash
    Last edited by Dr.Siouxs; 10-11-2013 at 06:32 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    Hmmm...someone should tell Cullen Jones, Lia Neal, and Anthony Ervin they can't swim, even though they went to the Olympics in London and Jones won a gold medal and two silvers.
    Ridiculous. There are after all far more white AA champions than there are African American ones in gymnastics. I don't even know why Italians had to bring race into it. I don't think it had to do with it in this case.. Now I definetly think the Italians have a case that the beam judging was unfair, but the argument is more because of leotard than anything else.

vCash
    It made CNN TV coverage today - I didn't get to see the segment, but I heard a teaser.

Just wow (in the worse sense of the word) is all I can say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I don't even know why Italians had to bring race into it.
    It's very difficult to say something about this without sounding prejudiced in return. Let's just say racism is an interesting topic as far as Italy is concerned. Racism has always been a problem in football/soccer; racist abuse during matches is more or less prevalent in every European country. But lately Italy seems to be a special case. While Ferlito's comments shock me, they don't really surprise me. And her apology is worth nothing.

Let It Snow
    vCash
    Interviewed right after AA final (friday), Carlotta Ferlito said to the press:

Next time, Vanessa and I will paint our skin black, then we'll win too.
    That was Ferlito's way of being pleased: she said herself she was pleased with her perfomance and her placement.

When the case exploded in the gymnastics community on the internet, Ferlito tweeted that she wanted to apologize, that she made a mistake, that she's only human.

Two days after AA final came beam final (sunday). After beam final Carlotta Ferlito made this interview:

Two inquiries from the US girls and they both end up on podium. What happened?

They did two crappy performances, well, not Ross, she didn't, ok, then Ross I understand, but Biles did the worse I've seen her do on beam and ended up medaling anyway. So Vanessa and I are 4th and 5th, less than a tenth of a point from podium, Vanessa's score is higher than mine by - wondering face - 0.010, and we're both off podium because americans always make inquiries, and judges favour americans. Alberto was 4th yesterday (she means Pommel Horse final), Vanessa is 4th today, I'm 5th by half a tenth of a point, after a while you get upset, right?

How did you do your routine? How about the Start Value?

I did fine. Start Value went that way because I was second on the line up, had I been last intead of the russian girl they would have kept my score high. But it didn't go like that, we are regular losers.

Did you hear Vanessa complaining too?

Yes because she lost a medal for less than a tenth of a point. But at least now she can go redeem herlsef on floor, beam was my only chance. I'm happy I made the final in 7th place and now I'm 5th in the world, less than a tenth of a point from third place (yes, she did say "less than a tenth of a point" that many times), but it's bothering to know I missed a medal by this small of a gap. I'm happy I did my job, but they gotta stop underscoring Italians.

All those 4th places are bothering?

Alberto has been 4th three times, Vanessa was 4th at Europeans, 4th at the Olympics, 4th again today, I'm an inch from Vanessa, I'm fed up, it makes you loose drive.

Mounting beam second after Mustafina was diffcult?

Yes. Being second in the line up is never good. Everyone thinks they are going to be strict with the first one, but they actually pump the first score, and then start dropping the scores from the second one in the line up. Mustafina in - either she means to say warm-ups or practices here - kept falling down from every difficulty, as usual, then she makes the performance of her life in competition. They say luck spins around, but Mustafina's always in luck.

You had a couple of balance checks, did those affect the outcome?

Everyone had balance checks, the american that won bronze was about to smash her head on the beam.

Do you think the weight of the country carries?

It's because she's world champion, because she does a full in to dismount, tomato tomahto. But if we look at it that way, they always win.

What's your next goal?

I have none.

Was you competition good?

Yes, my first event final and I came in 5th, 11th in the AA final.

Nine performances without mistakes?

Yes, just a tenth of a point was missing for me to medal.

So we have to hope Vanessa medals on floor?

Yes. I'll use my anger to cheer.

Let It Snow
    vCash
    After the case went viral and non Italian fans were stunned, Ciaralli, spokesman of the Italian Federation of Gymnastics, tried to explain Ferlito's statement. He posted twice on the Italian Federation Facebook page, under the name of thee Italian Federation.
    Infact, it was only two days after he posted that everyone got to know it was him.

He said he was only speaking for himself, although he did post on behalf of the Federation.

First Ciaralli, spokesman of the Italian Federation of Gymnastics, posted:

Carlotta was talking about what she thinks is the current gymnastics trend: the CoP is opening chances for coloured people (known to be more powerful) and penalizing the typical Eastern Europen elegance, which, when gymnastics was more artistic and less acrobatic, allowed Russia and Rumenia to dominate the field.
    The same comparison could be made between Biles and Ross, both from the US, a multi-racial country that is able to adapt to the constant changes in CoP.
    Why are there no black swimmers? Because their physical features don't suit the sport.
    Is gymnastics suiting coloured features more and more, to the point athlets wish they were black?
    Please, don't trash the topic, so no one will be banned. We are curious to know your opinion on the matter.

Then Ciaralli posted again:

Was it Nino Ferrer racist when he sang
    Hey tell me Wilson Pickett,
    Hey tell me James Brown
    Where do you find those voices (of yours)?
    Mr. King, Mr. Charles, Mr. Brown
    I do everything to sing like you do
    But nothing works, I'll never be able to
    And I think it's my colour that's wrong
    That's why I'd like, I'd like to have black skin
    I'd like to have black skin!

Nino Ferrer's song (Black Skin), which Ciaralli used to prove his points, is from 1967, and the second verse goes like this:

He He Hey tell me Mr. Faust
    Tell me how I can
    Grill a little nigger once in a while
    With utmost peace
    I say (to myself) Nino you shouldn't think like that
    But there's nothing I can do to forget
    This damn skin colour that rankles
    This is why I'd like
    I'd like to have black skin!

A day or two after Ciaralli's posts, Mr. Agabio, President of the Italian Federation of Gymnstics, released an offcial statement:

The Italian Federation of Gymnastics acknowledged Ferlito's apology tweet, with regards to the statements she made after the AA competition, at the 44th Artistic Gymnastics World Championships.
    Those statements must have been misunderstood, given the high moral values of the athlet in question.
    However, Mr. President Riccardo Agabio takes the opportunity to firmly condemn any form of racism or discrimination, for they don't belong to the Italian Gymnastics culture.
    Unfortunately, the misinterpretation originated from the Federation's PRs: a comment on our Facebook page, meant to explain Ferlito's statements (that should only have been censored), created more confusion, and hurt the feelings of the readers, many of which from the US.
    This misconstruction certainly won't be able to spoil the good understanding between the Italian Federation and the US Federation, which have often been collaborating. Evidences of this collaboration are the visit an Italian delegation payed at Texasdreams in Dallas this past August, or the Jesolo Trophy, that's been expecially proud to host Marta Caroly's team for the past four seasons, and that's working for a reapeat in 2014.
    This year, at the Jesolo Trophy, Italy was honored to have Simone Biles, future World Champion, in one of her first international competitions, to the point we feel she's almost a daughter to us.
    To celebrate Simone Biles' success, we invite her the Grand Prix that we'll host on November 9th; we are confident that if she'll come she'll delight Modena's audience as she did with the Antwerp's.
    The US gymnastics is infact a reference model for all gymnastics environments, and has many fans in Italy too.

Let It Snow
    vCash
    Italian gymnastics fans didn't post their opinions of international boards.

In private, the said Ferlito was just making a joke.
    They said they regretted the news came out, because they thought it was riculous to think she said anything racist.
    They said Ferlito probably meant that if she and Ferrari would paint their skin black they could pass for Biles and win gold.
    They said that if the winner was blond, Ferlito would probably have said: "Next time I'll dye my hair blond", and no one would have made such a fuss.
    They said Ferlito shouldn't have apologized, because apologizing means ackoledging fault, and Ferlito did nothing wrong.

Let It Snow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    An American athlete would have been severely punished (a lengthy suspension and fine) for making such thoughtless comments. Carlotta is 18 years old, a kid really, who needs to take some world history classes. And the federation was just stupid for trying to defend such ignorant remarks. This is really a shame because Carlotta' s high popularity in Italy could've been put to better use.
    Carlotta Ferlito is a member of the Italian Army, not just a kid.

No one involved in this story will face any consequences in Italy.

Carlotta is as popular as ever (her popularity started boosting three years ago, when she was the main focus of the Reality Show Ginnaste), and her book is now for sale.

vCash
    She should spend less time on TV and more time understanding how to properly do a layout, and that it doesn't take two back handsprings to set up for..................................... a back pike. I think Simone Biles can do one from a stand still. She's lucky that being black makes her more powerful and agile... Like a gymnast.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast