Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    I always love your condescending chime in's danafan! +1 for technique, I anxiously await the next time you put me in my place.

Obviously it wasnt her counting acro series before, she had the Kotchetkova-pause-ff-layout, that was a mild snark alluding to the fact that our current world BB champ only has a front Ariel-ff as her acro series in her world championship winning beam routine. Obviously Anna is capable of more than that. But thank you as always.
    The rule was made before current word BB champ did the Ariel-ff as acro series, the rule wasn't changed for her, she used it for her advantage. The gold medal in beam is not given for the most difficult acro series, you are complaining since you had to snark at Mustafina so you are going on about it. As for Anna is more than capable of doing a difficult acro series, so is Mustafina, are you suggesting this is the only acro series Mustafina has done so far in career? and secondly is Anna capable of doing a difficulty routine with ease and score well at this age… I strongly think she can't add difficulty and continue to execute the routine.

For your record : Mustafina's latest beam routine from Stuggart world cup : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wUiksST5EE

vCash
    The two front ariel's in combination and the FF-back tuck she used to do are groundbreaking. I like Mustafina's overall routine but having a great acro series, that's always been the obvious weakness in her routine IMO. Other than that I think she's beautiful and very clean and poised. I'd prefer her routine to say Gogean 97. (I also feel this way about Fan Ye 2003, though clean and beautiful)

I was trying to point out she's done plenty of skills in the past and in her repitoire to probably put a way more competitive routine together. She knew she never really had a chance to begin with (she had to have), why push herself? I'm shocked she's still at it and made the change TBH, she must really want to go to Worlds again. I hope she does well regardless and enjoys it. I could see the Kochetkova (of 3/4 flic as gymnastics hall-monitors like to call it) maybe going before the Omelianchik or FF-LO, then the switch ring BigB mentioned.. Ponor put a routine together with a similar array of skills and was in contention to win 2 Olympics later, it's not impossible (though Ponor had just a bit more in her repitoire, Anna still has plenty). I'd love to see her back in the mix one more time, I feel she never really got her due and Beijing esp must have been just awful for her (3 event finals! TF meltdown, hits in AA where she was never going to medal in that field ).

vCash
    Why is everyone presuming that Pavlova aims to be competing for medals?
    I suspect that competing for Azerbidjan is a way of earning a living doing what she loves, nothing more, nothing less.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    There's a perception floating around that Pavlova was prematurely dismissed from the Russian team, that she was overlooked for major teams last quad, and that by competing for Azerbaijan she's going to out perform her former Russian team members and embarrass the Russian federation.

I don't share this view. If Pavlova were currently capable of challenging for wod and Olympic medals, she wouldn't have been dismissed from the Russian team. Her level has declined every year.

I laughed when I read an article on the gymnastics examiner that Pavlova was currently one of the best vaulters and beam workers in the world. Um no, if that were the case Russia would continue to send her to international meets.

Her fans should simply be happy they can watch her compete in major competitions again without placing unrealistic expectations on her.

All my opinion, I have no idea what her personal goals are at this stage.

vCash
    There was a legit reason Pavlova was no longer a mainstay on the Russian team but she was also harshly treated at times. One year she was 2nd at Nationals in the AA and still wasnt even named to the Senior A team, and last year they could have sent her to Worlds rather than just sending 3 women due to all the injuries which was a huge waste.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millyskate View Post
    Why is everyone presuming that Pavlova aims to be competing for medals?
    I suspect that competing for Azerbidjan is a way of earning a living doing what she loves, nothing more, nothing less.
    All of the athletes competing for Azeri's, Konstantin Pluzhnikov has the best chance of winning a medal. A very smart decision from his side, now he can concentrate more on Rings… I think he will score well enough of parallel bar (possibly pommel horse as well) to qualify for the next olympics.

vCash
    Pavlova was robbed of the beam silver or gold at both the 2008 and 2004 Olympics. She was also robbed of the AA silver or gold at the 2004 Olympics. Good to see her back to win alot more gold and silver medals for her new country.

vCash
    o.o Pavlova may have a case for AA bronze or even silver in 2004 and a bronze on beam in 2008. But I think the three beam medalists in 2004 were well above Pavlova.

vCash
    The bronze medal girl in 2004 on beam did a good routine but took a huge step on her dismount which was a bigger mistake than Anna's one small wobble. I also thought Anna had the hardest routine of the whole final.

In 2008 she had a more difficult routine than Nastia and a better executed one than Cheng Fei.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Nastia won the silver based on her execution, for sure, not her difficulty. Cheng Fei was gifted the bronze, IMO. She was a sentimental favorite who really was not having a good meet and had lost her gold on vault, which was thought to be a lock (seems to be a pattern, eh?). Her FX during the meet was also lackluster and it appeared clear she wasn't going to win that, either.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Floor had already happened at the time of beam finals which was the last womens final, and Fei had already fallen and not medalled there. I disagree her floor was lackluster through the Games though, and that it was clear she wasnt going to win there. She had the highest score of anyone in qualifications, and the 2nd highest in team finals barely behind Izbasa. She had the highest floor score of the Games at 15.75.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Floor had already happened at the time of beam finals which was the last womens final, and Fei had already fallen and not medalled there. I disagree her floor was lackluster through the Games though, and that it was clear she wasnt going to win there. She had the highest score of anyone in qualifications, and the 2nd highest in team finals barely behind Izbasa. She had the highest floor score of the Games at 15.75.
    Thanks, my memory is not what it used to be. lol
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Tranquillo
    vCash
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash

vCash
    I noticed yesterday that the FIG has a new website but I can't understand from their announcement if this is the final layout or not... I hope not because they have ridded of the gymnasts profiles and the events calendar is also a bit pedestrian. Does anyone have any inside info on this? I'll be covering more gymnastics this year and whatever they plan to do influences the direction that I give my own site, I don't like to repeat content mindlessly... TY.

vCash
    Here are some newish vids of Sarah Finnegan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3adGD2_27E
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9iRw2xd-gw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdMETMCqjlE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie52-IZHqeE

I'm excited to have a team worlds with 6 gymnasts this year, I really hope it's a great season. I feel rather dismal about this years prospects outside of the US. Really hoping for a huge return from Komova, I would love to see her finally win the World AA title. She needs to maximize UB/BB to compete with Simone if she doesn't get the Amanar back. Also feeling rather optimistic about Iordache and Bulimar this year, I think if they ever do have a breakout year this will be it.

vCash

I'm excited to have a team worlds with 6 gymnasts this year, I really hope it's a great season. I feel rather dismal about this years prospects outside of the US. Really hoping for a huge return from Komova, I would love to see her finally win the World AA title. She needs to maximize UB/BB to compete with Simone if she doesn't get the Amanar back. Also feeling rather optimistic about Iordache and Bulimar this year, I think if they ever do have a breakout year this will be it.
    That is the problem with a sport where just one country starts to dominate - it becomes boring and goes into decline. I can see the United States dominating for a long time to come. The problem is that Romania simply have no money to invest in the sport and they are likely in the not too distant future to fall behind Great Britain in the European rankings. As for Russia, they are finally starting to invest after 2 decades of decline, but it will take them years to get back to where they once were. Moreover, until they get rid of the Rodionenko's, they are not going to move forward (as Alexandrov points out in this article and this article). At present, there is very little new talent coming through. The only thing that is going to change things anytime soon is if Russia wins the right to host the 2024 Olympics (Saint Petersburg or Kazan are likely to bid). If that happens, then I can see something similar happening to what has happened in figure skating - huge investment and a lot of new talent coming through. The Rodionenko's would also finally be removed in all likelihood.

The other problem with gymnastics is the Code, which has removed most of the artistry from the sport. It has produced boring gymnastics that people simply do not want to watch. Hence the decline in TV interest and attendances (in Europe, less so in the United States due to its dominance). There have also been a number of questions raised about the judging. The Code and the judging require an overhaul. The sport needs to get its act together.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 01-21-2014 at 12:02 PM.

vCash

I hadn't heard anything about komova! I thought she retired last year.

I am hoping mustafina can get better. Doesn't seem like she's stopping.

vCash
    Apparently Komova recently broke a small bone in her foot. Nothing major but I feel like it's going to be all these small things that add up to her never achieving much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    The other problem with gymnastics is the Code, which has removed most of the artistry from the sport. It has produced boring gymnastics that people simply do not want to watch. Hence the decline in TV interest and attendances (in Europe, less so in the United States due to its dominance). There have also been a number of questions raised about the judging. The Code and the judging require an overhaul. The sport needs to get its act together.
    I can guarantee that they'd get fans back and gain some more if they brought back 10.0 (with some revisions). But we all know that's not going to happen. They also need to go back to a 6-5-4 team format and get more emphasis on the well-balanced gymnasts who are solid in all areas of the gym. Ahhhh, the glory days of gymnastics. I miss them.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast