Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Well that fact that Phillip Boy kissed her on the cheek when presenting the award today should make it easy for Kyla to turn down the check

I know I wouldn't care about money when being kissed by him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by london_calling View Post
    Thrilled for Simone and Kyla. They did amazing under the pressure.

Amazing to think that last year Simone was just the junior national aa bronze medalist. She's come so far in such a short amount of time.
    I'm not a fan of Simone's gymnastics, but I agree 100% about how well she withstood pressure and how far she has come since last year. It's also impressive the way she put the disaster at US Classic behind her.

And sorry to be super Canadian-obsessed, but I believe that Victoria Moors' 10th place finish is a best ever for Canada in the AA. IIRC, the previous best ever was Kylie Stone's 14th in 2003, so great job by Victoria. Ellie Black's performance wasn't as good as qualifications but 13th is still a decent finish and she also has EF to come. I can't even remember the last time Canada qualified more than one gymnast to the AA finals (I think it's 2004 Olympics?) and to have both girls qualify and beat the previous best ever finish is pretty exciting.

vCash
    Wow, I barely knew who Simone Biles was and she's the World AA champ?! She reminds me of Shawn Johnson, in that I am not a fan of her style, but her tumbling is fabulous and she's charming, so I can't dislike her. Really liked that double layout-half twist on floor.

Vacant
    vCash
    Wow Maroney beat Biles for the vault title with a deduction for direction on her 2.5. Great vaulting from both girls and congrats to Kyla for her bars silver. Shame Musty couldn't connect straight into the shaposh half like last night but still, it's another medal for her which, considering she is clearly NOT in the best shape, is a great result.

In MAG Dan Purvis did soooooo well on FX but just missed out by a tenth. No one was beating Shirai as long as he didn't splat 3 out of 4 tumbling runs so Dalton's silver is an excellent result. USA are killing it at these worlds. And YAY for Max Whitlock, silver on PH

vCash
    Ross should have won the bars gold. Her E score being only 0.066 higher than the 11 year old Chinese with numerous form breaks does not reflect reality at all.

Vacant
    vCash
    Ross had quite a few form breaks of her own today that were not there last night. BBC commentators noticed it too. I love her but she needs to upgrade asap.

vCash
    Just catchnig up - watched the Womens AA on BBc iplayer, and I must say I enjoyed more than I was expecting. Biles is more watchable than I remembered - her FX is actually quite enjoyable, and that tumbling is Kyla Ross,along with Gabby, is my favourite American in ages, and I was glad to see Aliya pull up from quals - her FX was

vCash
    I am just thrilled for Daniel Corral, he took the silver shared with Max Whitlock of Britain in the Pommel Horse

This is Mexico's first ever medal of any kind at a World Championships

vCash
    Congrats, Mexico!

vCash
    Wasn't thrilled by any of the UB EF medallists, but I'm glad that Huang won just to sock it to Marta. Hah!

vCash
    Simone Bile.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    Wasn't thrilled by any of the UB EF medallists, but I'm glad that Huang won just to sock it to Marta. Hah!
    Nobody is calling the quality of their gymnastics into question. Regardless of whether or not it was appropriate for Marta to make those comments (and I do not think it was), it is totally valid to call into question the legitimacy of their ages, especially after the Sydney fiasco. My doubts more surround Shang though, than Huang. I hope Iordache cleans her clock on beam tomorrow.

vCash
    This is one hell of a womens vault podium. It's actually I think the best womens vault podium of all time - at any World Championships or Olympic Games.

To go from London to this podium in one year is quite astonishing. However, beyond the top 4 the vaulting was utter sh!t. This is an all-or-nothing type of event now. The difficulty is so high that we will see more McKayla's Simone's etc now, but we will also see that many more Pena's and 0's because gymnasts are going for difficulty that they can't even do in practice. Has there ever been a time that Pena HAS landed that double front - even in practice?

Are individual judges scores anywhere? I really think the judges were ready to give McKayla a 10 for a perfectly stuck vault based on that E-score. That E-score proves all that much more that she should've gotten at least a 9.9 in London for her final score.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    A sore loser, yes, but a racist? I have to respectfully disagree. Martha shouldn't be saying things like that in her position, but those are not racist comments, sorry.
    I could not hear anything she was saying in the recording and wonder if 71 year old Marta knew she was being recorded or was this a private conversation with someone? Sounds like she was not being interviewed but that someone taped her and put it on youtube for others to be aware of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyskate View Post
    I could not hear anything she was saying in the recording and wonder if 71 year old Marta knew she was being recorded or was this a private conversation with someone? Sounds like she was not being interviewed but that someone taped her and put it on youtube for others to be aware of.
    I know who filmed that particular video, and I don't think that was the case. He's more interested in the gymnastics than drama and this was probably more a case of being in the right place at the right time.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Words cannot express how stoked I am to see that Jake Dalton won the silver on FX and Brandon Wynn won the bronze on SR!! They are two of my favorite guys and I'm totally over the moon that they won Worlds medals this year! Congrats guys!! :cheer2

Congrats to Simone, Kyla, and McKayla on their medals too!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Congrats to all the medalists from yesterday

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by asdf334 View Post
    Nobody is calling the quality of their gymnastics into question. Regardless of whether or not it was appropriate for Marta to make those comments (and I do not think it was), it is totally valid to call into question the legitimacy of their ages, especially after the Sydney fiasco. My doubts more surround Shang though, than Huang. I hope Iordache cleans her clock on beam tomorrow.
    I agree, there's just no way on earth that Shang is 17. I mean if they're going to lie then why say 17? At least try and make it a bit more realistic and claim that she's 15 and about to turn 16 so eligible for senior. I still wouldn't believe that though. That girl is 11/12 tops.

And there's really nothing in that Marta Karolyi soundbite that she hasn't said directly to the press before. I'm no fan of hers or her methods, but I can understand her frustration. Who knows how many more medals the US has lost out on due to the seemingly ongoing age falsification practices, Sydney 2000 aside.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    I agree, there's just no way on earth that Shang is 17. I mean if they're going to lie then why say 17? At least try and make it a bit more realistic and claim that she's 15 and about to turn 16 so eligible for senior. I still wouldn't believe that though. That girl is 11/12 tops.

And there's really nothing in that Marta Karolyi soundbite that she hasn't said directly to the press before. I'm no fan of hers or her methods, but I can understand her frustration. Who knows how many more medals the US has lost out on due to the seemingly ongoing age falsification practices, Sydney 2000 aside.
    Marta Karolyi and her husband was master of changing the DOB of romanian athletes, and they are now complaining of the practice they perfected. Secondly, Huang won the junior title in 2004. I have already posted the video of her beam in 2009, by now means does she look like a 7 year old in that video. She looks like a 12-13 year old from developing world. So unless they can prove Huang is underaged she is the legitimate winner. Well done Huang

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Marta Karolyi and her husband was master of changing the DOB of romanian athletes, and they are now complaining of the practice they perfected. Secondly, Huang won the junior title in 2004. I have already posted the video of her beam in 2009, by now means does she look like a 7 year old in that video. She looks like a 12-13 year old from developing world. So unless they can prove Huang is underaged she is the legitimate winner. Well done Huang
    Did I mention Huang? Why mention her? Shang is the one people are questioning. Or was Marta talking about Huang in that video? If so I think that's not the case as Huang does look more mature. And yes I know what happened in Romania both before and after the Karolyi's left. Sure it's hypocritical but that doesn't stop her from being right about China using underage gymnasts at this Worlds does it? The Karolyi's certainly weren't the only ones up to shenanigans back in the 1970's. The sport was completely corrupt back then.

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast