Thread: Katie Ledecky

vCash

Katie Ledecky

Sorry for starting a whole new thread; I couldn't find a general swimming thread

Bethesda's Katie breaks a second world record at swim meet in Texas

Katie Ledecky returns to her summer swim league to sign autograms -- and set records

My niece swims for this club, so they're especially interested in following Katie's progress.

vCash
    Ledecky's absolutely amazing. It's awesome that her results are getting her the attention she deserves because she's somewhat reserved and I could see NBC passing right over her in the pre Rio hype machine in favor of Missy Franklin. But the way she's swimming they won't be able to. That's not to take anyhing away from Franklin who seems amazing both in and out of the water and deserves the hype that's surrounded her since 2011.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    She is totally amazing, Janet Evans amazing. Usually, no matter how dominant a swimmer is, the distance folks don't get as much hype as the others, especially someone with a versatile event lineup. However, from what I've seen this season, Katie is looking like she might be a force in Rio all the way down to the 200free, if she can be the one in the 200, 400, and 800 (and maybe even manage to make the 4x100 if she can manage top 6 in the 100 although that's probably too much of an ask, I think NBC will be happy to play her up!

There really should be a women's 1500m free at the Olympics!
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    I think the U.S would rather hype up Missy just because she is such an attractive girl and very personable and bubbly. Kate is a very nice girl but she isn't really that pretty, and is more shy and reserved. I hope both get the attention they deserve though as both are such amazing swimmers, and Kate looks like she might end up even better than Missy which is amazing.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    What a great article. It's wonderful to see both her and Missy, who are so successful at the elite level, still seem to enjoy the team aspect of the sport. They both seem like great role models for young swimmers.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    ledecky's progress is amazing.. when she won the 800 freestyle at london she was just a kid excited to swim in the pool.. a little bit eratic.. but now you can see how her technique has improved tremendously.. her stroke, her underwater swim.. the way she controls her swim.. she's like the female sun yang in the long distance event.. heck even their strokes are quiet similar.. her 200 freestyle is getting better and we're 2 years away for rio.. i think the battle between her and missy in the 200 freestyle will be the highlight at rio..