vCash

Was Yukari Underrated During Her Career?

I was going through videos of skaters from the previous quads, and I came across this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQn_JZ-BXlc... Of course, most people will remember her 2008 Worlds LP performance, but when I became a fan of Yukari when I saw this program.

I was always so saddened by her, I guess, lack of accomplishment. Sure, she landed the triple axel a countless number of times, went to Worlds multiple times (and had many top 5 finishes), won medals on the GP and won medals (or maybe it was just once?) at the GPF, but she never got a World medal and never got a chance to go to the Olympics.

What held her back? I know everyone is going to say leg wrap, but honestly, Midori was fine with a leg wrap.

vCash
    Her jumps held her back. She got everything but.

Ito's case is different because she had so much power and could generate so much height that the slightly delayed rotations didn't hurt her in fully rotating those jumps. In Nakano's case, it seriously hurt her, score wise. And the 2007 - 2010 quad was probably the harshest in terms of UR penalty.

And the deep field in Japan didn't help either. I felt so bad she didn't even get to go to Worlds after 2008 and the Olympics.

vCash
    Yes.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I think she was under appreciated. I really admired her classiness--what a beautiful lady!

vCash
    Yes!

vCash
    Yes and No. I think it is a shame such a talented skater never competed at an Olympics or won a World medal. She CLEARLY should have gone to the 2006 Olympics instead of Miki Ando and it was the JSF who looked like idiots when Ando (who was having a very poor season) predictably fared horribly at the Games. I was really rooting for her to make the 2010 Olympics. It is a shame she lost to Suzuki by such a tiny margin, without stepping out of one jump she would have made it. Ando's bye to the Games I did not agree with either, and had it not been for that she would have missed out with her 4th place at Nationals.

I think she should have been on the podium at the 2008 Worlds, and at worst bronze behind Kim and Asada even with the heavy penalty for URs. Kostner belonged nowhere near that podium with her peformance that night and it was a sham result. Had it been under 6.0 she would have won the gold easily there and deservedly so.

On the other hand she was never going to be some huge star who won alot of medals. She did not develop into a complete skater for many years. For a long time her later presumed weakness- jumps, were in fact considered her greatest strength, which really speaks to how long it took her to develop the rest of her skating. Her spins were very good but they werent that rewarded at that point. Her jumps had major technical issues which became magnified under COP.

vCash
    Yukari was a lovely skater, one of my favorites. I saw her skate live at the 2006 worlds in Calgary. Although she had a serious problem with a leg wrap on her jumps, it stopped bothering me after sometime because her skating was so beautiful. She was definitely underappreciated by her own fed and that translated into the international judges holding her down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Yukari was a lovely skater, one of my favorites. I saw her skate live at the 2006 worlds in Calgary. Although she had a serious problem with a leg wrap on her jumps, it stopped bothering me after sometime because her skating was so beautiful. She was definitely underappreciated by her own fed and that translated into the international judges holding her down.
    Yeah the Japanese skating federation absolutely loves Suguri, Asada, Ando, and Suzuki over the years especialy. They didnt neccessarily over the top love but still fairly appreciated Arakawa, Murakami, and Onda more than her as well.

vCash
    To answer the question posed in the title of this thread, "yes" (especially by her own federation).

vCash
    What killed Nakano was bombing her own Nationals in 2009. She was leading after the short and then with old Suguri winning the FS it shows Nakano would have easily won her first Japanese title had she done just a decent free. Instead she skated so awful she dropped off the team. Had she made it Ando would have been the one bumped, and Ando's resurgence in the sport from 2009-2011 was only due to her surprise World bronze in 2009. Without this I am pretty sure Ando or Suzuki would have been bumped off the 2010 Olympic podium for Nakano.

vCash
    I think she was short-changed at 2008 worlds big time, and overall underappreciated. Her Giselle LP is still one of my favourites.

vCash
    Had she skated well and won Nationals in 2009 she would have had a decent shot to medal at Worlds that year with her beautiful Giselle program. Then if she did that she would have made the 2010 Olympics for sure.

vCash
    ^ Yes, I remember Nationals that year. I was so sad for her when she finished off the podium and off the world team.

vCash
    She should have made the 2010 Olympic team over Suzuki. Nakano skated cleanly at Nationals and still lost to Suzuki who fell during her free skate. What a joke that was.