Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Spots

vCash
    Melissa Bulanhagi just tweeted: "Good choice, Philippines"
    I guess it's safe to say she's done competing for them?? Even though Perticheto fell apart in the FS yesterday, would Melissa have done any better? Anything in her recent performances to show that she perhaps could've made it? That is unfortunate though.. The only girl that was weak yesterday whom made it was isadora Williams; the other 5 performed very well.. So who knows if Melissa could've edged isadora out of the spot..

vCash
    I understand and sympathize with her frustration but tweeting snarky comments at the federation and Pertichetto is not going to take her anywhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    I understand and sympathize with her frustration but tweeting snarky comments at the federation and Pertichetto is not going to take her anywhere.
    Totally agree with you; it's in poor taste.

vCash
    She should have taken the Kiira Korpi high road. Leaving aside her issues with the federation, it's not very classy to knock down Pertichetto like that.

Unless she means it was a good choice to send Michael Christian Martinez In which case, I agree!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    She should have taken the Kiira Korpi high road. Leaving aside her issues with the federation, it's not very classy to knock down Pertichetto like that.

Unless she means it was a good choice to send Michael Christian Martinez In which case, I agree!
    Exactly; MCM did well! I hope that's what she meant although who knows..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Had Juulia qualified, she should have been the one to go, even if Kiira had been fit. I think it would have been a great injustice if Juulia had skated her lights out, got the spot, and then been forced to hand it to Kiira.

!
    Under that logic Kovtun should go for RUS and lets forget about Plushenko and the other russians already. After all Maxim was the one who "earned" the spot. Same for Han Yan even if he beats Nan Song all season long. FS competitive structure for better or worse is based around federatiosn and not particular skaters so the spots are obtained for the countries and not locked to individuals.

vCash
    I think Melissa Bulanhagui really wanted the chance to skate head-to-head against Perticheto for the first time to decide who would go to Nebelhorn. Bulanhagui won the bronze medal at the Asian Open in Bangkok in August (she landed 3Lz+2T in both programs and skated much better overall than last season), but it was too little too late by then because the Philippine federation had apparently made its decision in June about which man and lady to send to Nebelhorn. I admire that Christopher Caluza has let his skating do the talking for him, and I hope the PHI federation will let their Nationals results decide who gets to go to the Sochi Olympics.

Here's what Kiira Korpi tweeted yesterday: https://twitter.com/kiirakorpi_fi/st...01992453177344
    Finland didn't get a spot for the olympics Thank you Juulia Turkkila for the brave effort! I'm sad, but it's life. Tomorrow is a new day.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-28-2013 at 06:55 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodance2001 View Post
    And dance: CHN, TUR, AUS, JPN and ESP! Well done! Or did china already have a spot from their worlds finish??
    No, China had to qualify here so those are the 5 countries that won Olympic spots today!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    [QUOTE=Sylvia;4005241]
    Here's what Kiira Korpi tweeted yesterday: "Finland didn't get a spot for the olympics Thank you Juulia Turkkila for the brave effort! I'm sad, but it's life. Tomorrow is a new day."

And that's how you stay classy.

Melissa could take lessons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I'm happy for Elene. Whatever holding up may have occurred, I don't think she was given 16+ points more than she earned, and that was the distance between her and the skater from Lithuania.

Sochi is so close to Georgia, it will be very special for her to skate there. Lots of fans and family who might not be able to see her in person, let alone at the Olympics, might have the chance to go.

Beautiful eloquent words, Coco, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

Here's what Kiira Korpi tweeted yesterday: https://twitter.com/kiirakorpi_fi/st...01992453177344

Not only is she beautiful on the outside, but the inside as well. *insert rose & heart*

vCash
    I think Melissa Bulanhagui really wanted the chance to skate head-to-head against Perticheto for the first time to decide who would go to Nebelhorn. Bulanhagui won the bronze medal at the Asian Open in Bangkok in August but it was too little too late by then because the Philippine federation had apparently made its decision in June about which man and lady to send to Nebelhorn.
    well she had the same splatfest last year and failed to even make it to worlds so I don't know why she is whining about it now.

I admire that Christopher Caluza has let his skating do the talking for him, and I hope the PHI federation will let their Nationals results decide who gets to go to the Sochi Olympics.
    https://twitter.com/kiirakorpi_fi/st...01992453177344
    Disagree entirely, the Philippines has nothing to gain by sending Caluza, let's be realistic here he will only be fighting to skate till the free (probably the same as Martinez) but sending a promising 16 year old makes much more sense.... not to mention he's the only local skater the Philippines has competing internationally. Him winning a spot then giving it away to a foreign skater will not look good for PSU or to the moral of local skaters

vCash

Now tha'ts a good attitude towards the blows of life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by twicken View Post
    Disagree entirely, the Philippines has nothing to gain by sending Caluza, let's be realistic here he will only be fighting to skate till the free (probably the same as Martinez) but sending a promising 16 year old makes much more sense.... not to mention he's the only local skater the Philippines has competing internationally. Him winning a spot then giving it away to a foreign skater will not look good for PSU or to the moral of local skaters
    Interesting words, twicken (btw welcome to the board!).

I have to say this is why I have always loved & appreciated Evgeni Plushenko so much. He was and is a true patriot. Despite the temptations of the West, he never left Russia. Through thick & thin he stayed. Imho this is why he is so beloved by his fellow Russians. They understand, they know. Jmho.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh78 View Post
    Also REALLY heartbroken for Finland that Juulia Turkkila just buried herself too far down after the SP to make a rally that would qualify a spot for Finland in ladies in the FS..but gosh she ALMOST did it...I can't imagine how Kiira must feel if she saw the competition though
    I'm sure she is devastated she didn't manage to qualify the spot: but how bittersweet it must be to qualify it, knowing that it would be given to someone else. (I absolutely do not think her motivation was to not get it: but even getting it wouldn't be as joyous for her as others.)

vCash
    It's not entirely fair to compare Kiira's sentiment with what Melissa's attitude "should" be. It's one thing to be replaced because you voluntarily withdrew due to injury and quite another to be overlooked or discarded.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    If Bulanhagui had a better outing at 4 Continents, I think the decision would have been more clearer in her favour, but Perticheto had fairly consistent results at Junior Worlds, Gardena Trophy and Bavarian Open. IIRC, I believe some other federations did have a summer skate off for the single Nebelhorn spot.

vCash
    I'm not sure what happened at 4CC, but if she could replicate this result http://www.fsatresults.com/AOFST2013...s/CAT008RS.HTM (where she defeated Isadora, among others), she would have qualified

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    Under that logic Kovtun should go for RUS and lets forget about Plushenko and the other russians already. After all Maxim was the one who "earned" the spot. Same for Han Yan even if he beats Nan Song all season long. FS competitive structure for better or worse is based around federatiosn and not particular skaters so the spots are obtained for the countries and not locked to individuals.
    No. There's a difference between the Worlds system of qualifying, which everyone knows and is almost an entire year before the event, and the Nebelhorn qualifying. Nebelhorn qualifiers are usually the ones to go to the Olympics, while Worlds teams change year to year. Plus, the attitude towards skaters qualifying spots at Worlds is not as callous as this one was. Juulia may as well not have had a personal identity of her own or dreams of her own; as far as many fans were concerned, who cares about her skating, just get Kiira the spot. That's an awful attitude.

Reminds me a little of the whole Ian Thorpe thing back in 2004...

vCash
    Some really interesting points made here. Coco, I very much agree with your point about there being a difference between being injured and not being chosen. I also think Kiira's tweet was very well worded. I couldn't even begin to imagine her disappointment. I also couldn't even to begin to imagine Melissa's. She's already indicated that if she continues in the sport, it may well be skating pairs with Taylor Toth (presumably for the U.S.??). I can't see her continuing with the Philippine Skating Union. And I get where Melissa's coming from, even if she hasn't been as 'diplomatic' or 'PR friendly' as Korpi and many others who missed out on their Olympic dream. Overall, she's got a ton more experience than someone like Perticheto. Plushenko obviously has a lot more experience than Kovtun. Alena Leonova, for instance, has a lot more experience overall than either Elizaveta or Adelina. Amelie Lacoste... Jeremy Abbott... there are a lot of skaters in the hunt for a trip to Sochi whose overall careers have shown more overall success than the skaters who have excelled in say, the last year. Figure skating tends to be very dismissive of skaters based on one bad season, and as the sport has proven time and time again, there's something to be said for longevity and not giving up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    No. There's a difference between the Worlds system of qualifying, which everyone knows and is almost an entire year before the event, and the Nebelhorn qualifying. Nebelhorn qualifiers are usually the ones to go to the Olympics, while Worlds teams change year to year. Plus, the attitude towards skaters qualifying spots at Worlds is not as callous as this one was. Juulia may as well not have had a personal identity of her own or dreams of her own; as far as many fans were concerned, who cares about her skating, just get Kiira the spot. That's an awful attitude.

Reminds me a little of the whole Ian Thorpe thing back in 2004...
    Every skater going to Nebelhorn also knows the rules and Nebelhorn is a whole six months before the olympics so the date excuse is just as arbitrary as chosing Worlds as a qualifier. The attitude of some fans (i hardly say they are the majority) doesnt change the fact that is perfectly according to the rules tu use the spot at the discretion of the federation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast