Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Spots

vCash

Olympic Spots

So so far we have GBR, UKR, EST and ISR in pairs and AUS, GEO, NOR, CZE, AUT, and BRA in ladies.

Is that correct?

vCash
    Yes, to my knowledge. Great to see Kemp and King earn a spot for Great Britain... also wonderful to see Australia and Brazil in ladies. I think it's fantastic as well that Elene Gedevanishvili earned a berth for Georgia as well. It's been a very up and down few years for her and she really pulled it off when it counted.

vCash
    The girl from Norway did surprisingly well too. Any info on her? Brooklee did awesome as well! Isadora barely hung on but it was enough.

vCash
    The real shocker of the ladies event to me was Sonia Lafuente. That's really unfortunate.

vCash
    Oops I just now posted on the wrong thread; wanted to add here as well my salutations:

Cheers to all the countries that just made the cut off!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    I think it's fantastic as well that Elene Gedevanishvili earned a berth for Georgia as well. It's been a very up and down few years for her and she really pulled it off when it counted.
    I don't know -- thought Gedevanishvili was disappointing and held up a bit due to skating in the final group.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodance2001 View Post
    The girl from Norway did surprisingly well too. Any info on her?
    All of the performances are available to watch on ISU's official YouTube channel.

vCash
    I'm Happy for the EST pair and happier for Brooklee and Anne-Line, personal faves of mine.

Im not impressed about the UKR pair and I can0t believe the guy (Talan) is gonna be a two time olympian.

Im crossing all my fingers tomorrow for Hurtado & Diaz to pull up.

vCash
    The Estonian pair might lack citizenship (him).

What's your issue with Usmantseva/Talan?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    The real shocker of the ladies event to me was Sonia Lafuente. That's really unfortunate.
    Yeah, I thought she would qualify without really any question. Didn't she skate in Vancouver, or am I wrong?

vCash
    Well done Brooklee Han. She had just missed out qualifying for a spot directly from 2013 Worlds. Too bad about Finland. I had a freak moment when I saw Glebova's results, and then I remembered she qualified directly from Worlds .

vCash
    Great to see some countries get spots that you don't normally see (Australia, Brazil)..HEARTBROKEN for Takahashi and Kihara of Japan being the first team out (but their might be citizenship issues for one or two of the pairs, so it might not be over just yet)...Also REALLY heartbroken for Finland that Juulia Turkkila just buried herself too far down after the SP to make a rally that would qualify a spot for Finland in ladies in the FS..but gosh she ALMOST did it...I can't imagine how Kiira must feel if she saw the competition though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh78 View Post
    Also REALLY heartbroken for Finland that Juulia Turkkila just buried herself too far down after the SP to make a rally that would qualify a spot for Finland in ladies in the FS..but gosh she ALMOST did it...I can't imagine how Kiira must feel if she saw the competition though
    Well it's not over yet, no? Some of those countries might still decide to not use their spots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well it's not over yet, no? Some of those countries might still decide to not use their spots.
    Well, Lithuania is the first substitute in line and then Finland.. There is some hope I guess..

vCash
    Great to see some countries get spots that you don't normally see (Australia, Brazil)..HEARTBROKEN for Takahashi and Kihara of Japan being the first team out (but their might be citizenship issues for one or two of the pairs, so it might not be over just yet)...Also REALLY heartbroken for Finland that Juulia Turkkila just buried herself too far down after the SP to make a rally that would qualify a spot for Finland in ladies in the FS..but gosh she ALMOST did it...I can't imagine how Kiira must feel if she saw the competition though
    As amazing a stat as it may seem, Australia has qualified and competed in Ladies every Games since 1998. That's five in a row now including Sochi. The ground-breaker will be if O'Brien and Merriman qualify. They would be the first ice dance team since 1988 and only the second ever.

vCash
    Also REALLY heartbroken for Finland that Juulia Turkkila just buried herself too far down after the SP to make a rally that would qualify a spot for Finland in ladies in the FS..but gosh she ALMOST did it...I can't imagine how Kiira must feel if she saw the competition though
    Had Juulia qualified, she should have been the one to go, even if Kiira had been fit. I think it would have been a great injustice if Juulia had skated her lights out, got the spot, and then been forced to hand it to Kiira.

Quote Originally Posted by Rae35 View Post
    As amazing a stat as it may seem, Australia has qualified and competed in Ladies every Games since 1998. That's five in a row now including Sochi. The ground-breaker will be if O'Brien and Merriman qualify. They would be the first ice dance team since 1988 and only the second ever.
    It could be our first man in 11 years, too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The Estonian pair might lack citizenship (him).

What's your issue with Usmantseva/Talan?
    Not a real issue I just dont think he deserves to be a 2-time olympian while some others more deserving never will go once. But thats the way sports is. At least this time he actually earned his spot instead of Vancouver where he went thanks to Volosozhar&Morozov only.

vCash
    I'm happy for Elene. Whatever holding up may have occurred, I don't think she was given 16+ points more than she earned, and that was the distance between her and the skater from Lithuania.

Sochi is so close to Georgia, it will be very special for her to skate there. Lots of fans and family who might not be able to see her in person, let alone at the Olympics, might have the chance to go.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    And the men:
    ISR, ROU, PHL, AUS, UKR, ITA..

vCash
    And dance: CHN, TUR, AUS, JPN and ESP! Well done! Or did china already have a spot from their worlds finish??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast