Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I am rooting for Jenna McCorkell to make it to the free skate. She almost made it in Sochi. I know you secretly are on her side because of your shared love for Kevin.
    Kevin lost me when he married her...I won't wait around for anyone

vCash
    The honor of the Commonwealth is restored. All the Commonwealth skaters qualified to the free skate with Kaetlyn Osmond leading the way.

vCash
    Would just like to point out that West Indies, Bermuda, India, New Guinea were all part of the Commonwealth. So how can the term "racist" possibly apply here?

vCash
    Go Danielle O'Brien and Gregory Merriman! Stone the flaming crows!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Francophone people use Anglo-Saxon to refer to everything Anglo-American. It's a common term. It has no ethnic or racial connotation.
    A denotative meaning of connotation: an idea or feeling that a word invokes in addition to its literal or primary meaning.

Connotations are defined by the recipients of a message, not the messengers. This doesn't mean people aren't often unreasonable in their reactions, only that connotations are theirs to interpret. And as others have pointed out, there are people who do believe that the word Anglo in this context could have offensive connotations. I would guess that these people are not likely to be Francophone and therefore aren't terribly concerned about the connotations Francophones take from the term.

Quote Originally Posted by girlscouse62 View Post
    Would just like to point out that West Indies, Bermuda, India, New Guinea were all part of the Commonwealth. So how can the term "racist" possibly apply here?
    The word "commonwealth" was not the one in question.

I don't find the term "Anglo" offensive. But other people do.

Of course, that might be the point for all I know.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    We could change this to a Commonwealth-only thread, which would mean excluding the Americans and the Irish.

vCash
    The Commonwealth looked rather embarrassed tonight. At least Kaetlyn looked pretty, but overall it was not a good night for the Queen's dominions and Commonwealth realms. And her own kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland didn't do well by having its sole British lady withdraw.

The Iron Lady herself couldn't be happier due to the victory of the one and legendary chairwoman Mao, but these Commonwealth matters eventually need to get sorted out, especially with the talent at the top of Canada.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-29-2014 at 12:49 PM.

vCash
    The Queen will be cross.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12