Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

The Iron Lady's Anglosphere Cheer Thread

This thread will be an opportunity for all of us in the Anglosphere and the English speaking nations around the world to celebrate the accomplishments of our Commonwealth in this season of skating.

I hereby inaugurate this thread with a cheer for Brook Lee Han. She fights her way admirably at Nebelhorn to keep Australia in the fine Anglo-Australian tradition of ladies figure skating.

vCash
    Brooklee. It's Brooklee Han.

And as an Australian I am not very comfortable with your phrasing in this thread so far.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    I agree with misskarne. And why can't we just celebrate every skater's accomplishments?
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    That's alright. We have the Commonwealth Games so I don't see any problem in having a Commonwealth celebration here. HRH is still Australia's Queen.
    Ironlady, why not copy the vids of skaters from Commonwealth countries to this thread, particularly the lesser known countries. I would like to know who they are.
    Last edited by spikydurian; 09-27-2013 at 10:21 PM.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    The issue is not celebrating the Commonwealth skaters - I too am "why not" there.

The issue is the repetitive use of the term "Anglo".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    The issue is not celebrating the Commonwealth skaters - I too am "why not" there.

The issue is the repetitive use of the term "Anglo".
    I am not Anglo-saxon and has no issue with the word 'anglo'.

vCash
    Congratulations to Brooklee and all the other colonial skaters!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    This thread will be an opportunity for all of us in the Anglosphere and the English speaking nations around the world to celebrate the accomplishments of our Commonwealth in this season of skating.

I hereby inaugurate this thread with a cheer for Brook Lee Han. She fights her way admirably at Nebelhorn to keep Australia in the fine Anglo-Australian tradition of ladies figure skating.
    What has happened to The Iron Lady? This was her last post to date. Hope she is okay

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    What has happened to The Iron Lady? This was her last post to date. Hope she is okay
    I wondered too.

vCash
    I think HE might have just p*ssed off one person too many.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    The Iron Lady is ok. She is having a rest.

vCash
    I don't think saying Anglosphere means anything offensive. It just refers to people from nations associated freely with the Commonwealth along with the USA who all were affiliated with the British at one point and share some traditions. If I wrote a post about Francophone skaters and included Joannie Rochette I don't think Québécois fans would be offended. Canada is actually a dual-language country--and Joannie is just as much a Commonwealth skater as Brooklee--but most members of The Commonwealth of Nations speak English as well as other languages jointly. It's just a matter of history, and Britain did help pioneer figure skating.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I don't think saying Anglosphere means anything offensive.
    It might be considered offensive depending on the context because I remember a time when Anglo was associated with exclusivity. However, as you said, there are other spheres with language suffixes, like:

Francophone
    Hispanophone
    Lusophone
    Russophone
    Sinophone

and anyone with international exposure would probably know this. I do not think it could to be a far stretch to assume the typical person in this forum would have some international exposure, even if only by way of the internet, since figure skating is very international.

. . . although it does speak to the pittiful state of the Anglosphere when it is very rich but can not produce more medalists . . . they have the two top ice dance teams and Patrick Chan spread over two countries. Compare that to the Russosphere.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 03-27-2014 at 01:03 AM.

vCash
    I am DEEPLY OFFENDED, o IronLady. Clearly, your heart lives up to your name...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I am DEEPLY OFFENDED, o IronLady. Clearly, your heart lives up to your name...
    I am rooting for Jenna McCorkell to make it to the free skate. She almost made it in Sochi. I know you secretly are on her side because of your shared love for Kevin.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I don't think saying Anglosphere means anything offensive. It just refers to people from nations associated freely with the Commonwealth along with the USA who all were affiliated with the British at one point and share some traditions.
    You must have missed the flame war that erupted here a few years ago when objections to the DomShabs Olympic SD costumes were described as something like "a controversy invented by the Anglo-Saxon media."

There were multiple threads of multiple pages devoted to pretty furious about whether or not referring to entire nations of mixed ethnicities could be described as Anglo without being racist.

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Francophone people use Anglo-Saxon to refer to everything Anglo-American. It's a common term. It has no ethnic or racial connotation. It can have derisive meaning, but I say this because I recently heard a French speaker use Anglo-Saxon interchangeably with the word childish.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-27-2014 at 06:32 AM.

vCash
    Go Jenna, Brooklee, Kaetlyn, and Gabrielle!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    You must have missed the flame war that erupted here a few years ago when objections to the DomShabs Olympic SD costumes were described as something like "a controversy invented by the Anglo-Saxon media."

There were multiple threads of multiple pages devoted to pretty furious about whether or not referring to entire nations of mixed ethnicities could be described as Anglo without being racist.

Heh, I forgot about that. Good times. And the episode made the critics point that Anglo culture is hyper sensitive. Kinda reminds me of Arnold calling the Democrats girlie men, only to have them reinforce the stereotype.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Our British and Canadian Roses gave it their all.

It looks like Gabrielle and Jenna both have a chance to make to the free skate.... Quite a few skaters to go yet...
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-27-2014 at 08:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast