Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Successful skater to Successful coach

Great skaters don't always make great coaches. There are just a handful of them, but if you want to come down one or two levels and replace the 'great' with 'successful' (define it any way you want) you see quite a few that have experienced success as coaches. Others just prefer being something else, like commentators or choreographers.

Here is my list:

Tamara Moskvina (world silver in pairs, Russian champion in singles and pairs?)- her students won many OGM and other medals

Mishin- same as above

Brian Orser (2x OGS, WC)- coach of WC & OGM Yu na kim

Oleg Vasiliev (OGM, WC)- coach of OGM T&M

Peter Oppegard - (OGB)- coach of many skaters at WC level

Viktoria Volchkova (no world medals but good skater at WC level)- coach of many young, upcoming skaters

Mr. Sato (not sure what medal if any he won, but he competed at WC)- coach of Mao Asada

Yuka Sato (WC)- coach of US nationals champion Jeremy Abbott
    Jason Dungjen - 4th at 1998 Oly; coach of high level skaters

Alexei Urmanov (OGM)- coaches young skaters, but not sure if they have achieved a lot yet.

Artur Dmitriev (OGM, WC)- same as above

Sasha Zhulin (OGS, WC)- I am forgetting which dance teams he is coaching in the upcoming Olympics

Linichuk-Karponosov (OGM)- G&P's coach in 94 (OGM)

John Nicks (skated pairs with his sister)- coach of Tai & Randy (WC), Sasha Cohen, Meno-Sand

Frank Carroll- too many successful skaters to list, but Michelle Kwan and Evan Lysacek should suffice

Juta Muller (not sure of her accomplishments as a skater)- Katarina Witt's coach

Please continue.
    Last edited by Vash01; 10-22-2013 at 09:17 PM.

vCash
    Add Ingo Steuer and Anjelika Krylova to the list. There's also Tarasova, who finished as high as 4th at Euros.

The late Maribel Vinson Owen and Cecilia Colledge were both successful competitors as well as coaches.

If the criterion used for the successful skater part of this is Worlds competitor (see Nobuo Sato) then there are quite a few others.

vCash
    Zulia coached Navka and Kostomarov to WC and Olympic gold; he now coaches Bobrova and Soloviev who are WC medalists

vCash
    I am forgetting the name of G&G's coach in 1989. He and his partner were 4th at worlds, I think. I am forgetting her name too, although I can remember his face very clearly.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I am forgetting the name of G&G's coach in 1989. He and his partner were 4th at worlds, I think. I am forgetting her name too, although I can remember his face very clearly.
    Stanislav Leonovich. The lady is Marina Pestova. They were one of the original 1 and a half teams, especially when she was 12 - 15 years old.

Leonovich and Pestova were taught by Stanoslav Zhuk, who also taught G & G. When Leonovich matured as a coach, he taught G & G.

The elements that demonstrate the line of teaching are the throw double axels they all did out of that circular lift entrance, and the quadruple twist which was done by Leonovich and Pestova and G & G prior to 1988.

The teacher to both teams was Zhuk.
    Last edited by PairSk8Fan; 10-22-2013 at 07:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    Stanislav Leonovich. The lady is Marina Pestova. They were one of the original 1 and a half teams, especially when she was 12 - 15 years old.

Leonovich and Pestova were taught by Stanoslav Zhuk, who also taught G & G. When Leonovich matured as a coach, he taught G & G.

The elements that demonstrate the line of teaching are the throw double axels they all did out of that circular lift entrannce, and the quadruple twist which was done by Leonovich and Pestova and G & G prior to 1988.

The teacher to both teams was Zhuk.
    Yeah, I know who they are (Pestova-Leonovich). I just couldn't remember their names. I had watched their videos years ago. Iremember that their twist move looked rather strange; I couldn't figure out if they were doing a throw or a twist. Her puberty issues kind of ended their pairs career. Katia in her book seemed to not like Zhuk, but she liked Leonovich.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Yeah, I know who they are (Pestova-Leonovich). I just couldn't remember their names. I had watched their videos years ago. Iremember that their twist move looked rather strange; I couldn't figure out if they were doing a throw or a twist. Her puberty issues kind of ended their pairs career. Katia in her book seemed to not like Zhuk, but she liked Leonovich.
    I kind of disagree that puberty ended their career, because she was 19 years old when they won their third Soviet Championship in 1982-83. In 1982, when Marina was 18 years old and finished with puberty, they were the Soviet Champions, and second in the Europeans and the Worlds.

It is not clear to me why they did not even compete in the 1984 Olympic year. Injuries to her ended their career after 6th place at the 1983 worlds, perhaps.
    Last edited by PairSk8Fan; 10-23-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Don't have anything to add but wanted to say this is a very cool thread. Thanks, Vash01!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Ahem, Brian Orser is not just an Olympic medalist. He is also a WORLD CHAMPION (1987).
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I was never a fan of Wing and Lowe when they were competing but think they have turned into fantastic dance coaches. Many Canadian Novice and juniors are coached by them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Ahem, Brian Orser is not just an Olympic medalist. He is also a WORLD CHAMPION (1987).
    Just edited to add that. Just an oversight. No insult intended. I loved Brian Orser's skating.

vCash
    If you were looking at coaches who were not really successful as skaters but great coaches - can't remember the names at the moment but the guy who has coached the Chinese pairs. Didn't he finish somewhere in the 20s at the 84 Olympics?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    If you were looking at coaches who were not really successful as skaters but great coaches - can't remember the names at the moment but the guy who has coached the Chinese pairs. Didn't he finish somewhere in the 20s at the 84 Olympics?
    Yao Bin. I think he was laughed at too doing so poorly. Sometimes one can turn adversity into strength.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Bin Yao was indeed 15th and last at 1980 Worlds and the 1984 Olympics, and IIRC in The Second Mark there is mention of people laughing about how they skated at 1980 Worlds.

There are other examples of successful coaches who were not successful skaters at the international level: Morozov as well as Zazoui & Haguenauer come to mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    There are other examples of successful coaches who were not successful skaters at the international level: Morozov as well as Zazoui & Haguenauer come to mind.
    Frank Carroll was never a successful skater on an international level and not really on a national level, either. But what a coach!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I know I shall get some for this, but Maurizio Margaglio (WC 2001, oly bronze 2002) is now an important part of the Zoueeva team. His partner Barbara Fusar-Poli is also coaching.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Yao Bin. I think he was laughed at too doing so poorly. Sometimes one can turn adversity into strength.
    This is true, and I do not really understand it at all, except that maybe the people watching were not sophisticated enough about pair skating or they were laughing that the Chinese Federation was sending Novice level skaters to Worlds and Olympics.

The techniques and mistakes made by the team in competition were not unusual errors for inexperienced and lower level teams, which used to goof up death spirals and lifts all the time. The Kaufmans, famous American Champs, lost medal chances by missing death spirals, and if you look closely throughout the skating of pair teams in the 70s, not all of them had good pivot or lift technique.

When I was pair skating at the Juvenile and Intermediate level, falls and mistakes on lifts and death spirals were a common thing to see. It was so bad for awhile in US skating that the judges HATED judging pairs, as it scared them, and one of the most important judging criteria became SECURITY ON THE ICE.

I don't understand why anyone laughed except out of ignorance.

vCash
    I want to see more of Kurt Browning and Stephane Lambiel as choreographers. I loved every program they've made.

vCash
    John Nicks was 1953 (!) world champion and was 4th at the Olympics.

vCash
    Carlo Fassi (1953-4 European champion; 1953 World bronze medalist) coached Fleming, Holmes, Curry, Cousins, Trenary and a number of others (with some success).
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast