vCash

Favorite Johnny Weir SP, FS and exhibition

I was wondering what are your favorite short program, free skate and exhibitions that Johnny has done during his competitive career?

For me, my favorites are:

Short program: The Swan

Free skate: Love is War

Exhibition: My Way and Unchained Medley.

vCash
    Here are mine:

SP - The Swan
    LP- Dr.Zhivago (his first national title)
    Ex- Imagine, and very recently Schindlers list

vCash
    SP - Yunona i Avos
    LP - Love is War (closely followed by Otonal)
    EX - Ave Maria

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    SP: Rondo Capriccioso
    FS: Otoñal
    EX: Yunona i Avos
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Favorite Johnny Weir programs:

SP - Top fave: Rondo Capriccioso(classic iconic NHK performance especially); also love Johnny's Valse Triste, and the one of a kind ground-breaking, The Swan (His jumps were so effortless -- his Olympic performance was grand) -- also very memorable: 2003 Innocence/ Zydeko, and Umbrellas of Cherbourg

FP - Top fave: Dr. Zhivago followed by Otonal; I also enjoyed Love Is War(it seemed to harbinger stepping out into something new for Johnny with an upward trajectory, but the following year ended up as a downward trajectory)

Exhibitions - Top faves: Ave Maria and Heartbroken; sentimental favorite: Imagine; also the inimitable My Way (albeit it did inspire imitation by others in both music and costume); Nature Boy; Poker Face; Unchained Melody; All In Love Is Fair

All of Johnny's exhibitions are absolutely wonderful. He obviously excelled in exhibition performances (perhaps because he felt freer and able to improvise slightly and go with his emotions). Looking back I've mostly enjoyed Johnny's short programs and exhibitions more than his free skates (or more accurately long programs, which were not exactly free in the difficult and transitional CoP era during which Johnny competed).

vCash
    I too love Otonal.

Recently I was blown away by his Schindlers list performance (on yt; I wish it was live in an arena)

On Artur Gachinski's BANDWAGON (thanx l'etoile!)
    vCash
    My favourites?? WOW. There are so many.

For the SP, I LOVE "Yunona i Avos", (Worlds performance) followed by "Rondo Capriccioso" (I loved the TEB performance of this one!) and "The Swan" (Olympic performance) and "Valse Triste", (Worlds performance as seen through the eyes of British Eurosport..). Also in LOVE with "Schinder's List", and would have loved to have seen it somewhere near competition..

For the LP, it's a toss-up between "Love Is War", (probably my all time favourite Johnny performance was of this at US Nationals, where he CLEARLY beat Lysacek in the eyes of everyone except the judges. I think even Evan thought he should have lost that free skate!) and the beautiful, stunning and amazing "Otonal", again his US Nationals performance. Then, I adored Dr Zhivago. At US Nationals. again.

What?? No one has chosen the much maligned "Jesus"?? No one wants to give Jesus some love?? I actually liked "King of Chess", but thought it was like pushing the proverbial square peg you-know-where. Same with Jesus. Although when skated cleanly, Jesus was a masterpiece.

vCash
    ^^ Actually, in my above post, I too meant Johnny's TEB performance of Rondo Capriccioso is my favorite. Too bad he injured his foot and didn't skate RC well at Nationals and Worlds in 2005. The choreo and music (as well as his costume and skating) are iconic.

Did Johnny ever skate his "Jesus" program, Child of Nazareth cleanly? ITA that it's a beautiful program but Johnny has said his heart was never in that program for some reason. I think the choreo was wonderful but the jumps were not well laid out. Johnny didn't seem to ever feel comfortable during 2006-2007 season. I did enjoy his King of Chess sp because it was good music and he approached those performances with a lot of energy (and I think with a wink in his eye), re the effort to remake Johnny Weir in a macho image, as if he had to atone for daring to make waves and magic with The Swan.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 09-28-2013 at 10:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ Actually, in my above post, I too meant Johnny's TEB performance of Rondo Capriccioso is my favorite. Too bad he injured his foot and didn't skate RC well at Nationals and Worlds in 2005. The choreo and music (as well as his costume and skating) are iconic.

Did Johnny ever skate his "Jesus" program, Child of Nazareth cleanly? ITA that it's a beautiful program but Johnny has said his heart was never in that program for some reason. I think the choreo was wonderful but the jumps were not well laid out. Johnny didn't seem to ever feel comfortable during 2006-2007 season. I did enjoy his King of Chess sp because it was good music and he approached those performances with a lot of energy (and I think with a wink in his eye), re the effort to remake Johnny Weir in a macho image, as if he had to atone for daring to make waves and magic with The Swan.
    No, he never skated it clean, the closest was Nationals where he fell on the last jump. I agree that the jump placement was not laid out well, I blame the choreography or rather then choreographer. I had the impression Johnny was not into skating that season and it probably would had benefit him to take the year off to recharge his batteries after Torino. It wasn't a coincidence that he left his longtime coach Priscilla Hill after that horrible season.

vCash
    My favorite SP : The Swan

favorite LP: Dr Zhivago

EX :Ave Maria

vCash
    The Rondo Capriccioso SP from the 40-05 season. His feet were magic.

vCash
    Valse Triste
    Love is War
    Ave Maria

Quadless
    vCash
    So many choices.....

SP: I suppose I'll always remember him for The Swan, but Rondo comes close
    LP: It's a tie between two bookends: Dr. Zhivago and Fallen Angel - loved almost everything in between, too, but these two were extra special, especially since they both involved redemption of sorts
    Ex: I'm going to go with Fallen Angels Trio with Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    ^^ Ah yes, Fallen Angels Trio. Quite a wonderful, and uplifting exhibition. Those three (Denis, Melissa, and Johnny) made magic together and gave skating fans some unforgettable moments.

vCash
    Bumping this thread up...

(Re-posting from GSD) Johnny's farewell to competitive skating in his own words: http://fcnp.com/2013/10/23/johnnys-world-the-ice/
    It is surreal writing about my career as if it had happened to someone else and to actually write the words: I am retiring from competitive figure skating.

I have cried my way through writing this entire column not because I am sad, or because I’ll miss training or falling or being so nervous I think my head will explode, or starving or the glory of victory or the agony of defeat. I cry because of the memories that have shaped my life. I am sad about those moments awaiting scores that will catapult me to my first national title and finally believing in myself, or navigating a foreign airport with my mom and aunt. I will miss traveling the world with a crazy group of skaters, coaches, judges, fans, and the like, who all want to see a good, clean fight, a worthy champion and to stop for a moment to appreciate the power of the moments you create together. Although not always a fan of the figure skating world, they are my high school peers, my college frat brothers, my friends, supporters and confidants and I will miss them.
    http://instagram.com/p/f0E8CQBhW0/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash

Johnny Faves

Short Program: Valse Triste and The Swan

Free Program: Otonal and Fallen Angel

Exhibition: Юнона и Авось and Bad Romance