vCash

Sexual abuse by skating coach on CNN News

vCash
    I believe this the first time the alleged victim has come forward publicly? The accused coach is Genrikh Sretenski (there have been past threads here about his case).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I wish CNN would title the story differently. Not quite accurate in terms of describing the skater as "Olympic" level. :-(

vCash
    CNN likes to sensationalize everything.

(I am being nitpicky) When I saw the title of this thread, I thought CCN was perhaps a Canadian network. The link was for CNN, which I am very familiar with. May be the admins could correct the title? (I know the poster cannot).

vCash
    This is very sad. I do worry it is more widespread than noted, because if the coach is successful it is scary to speak out. I feel horribly for this girl having to go through this.

But media: not every skater is Olympic! Was she a senior dancer? I didn't know her name, and she didn't have a wikipedia page, though her name appeared in an ISU bio as 'former partner'

vCash
    Morgan competed at 2011 Nats in Novice Dance with Luke Skala. I think a few years earlier, she competed at Junior Nats in Intermediate with Ross Gudis.

vCash
    They described her as being "well on her way to competing for the U.S. at the highest levels" which is kind of vague, and could mean competing internationally at the Junior/Senior level at all, like a JGP (since those are the "highest levels"). She and her partner were 8th in Novice Dance at 2011 Nationals.

It's very brave of her to come forward.

vCash
    Oh brother....right in time for the Olympics season. Very sad. I thought that this story was over six months ago.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Oh brother....right in time for the Olympics season. Very sad. I thought that this story was over six months ago.
    Well, the civil suit is ongoing, so it's not exactly like this is old news. And, as far as it being in time for the Olympics, I would think that from the victim's standpoint, that it's a good time to get her message out that there are predators out there in the sport. Like it or not, that is the reality. All news surrounding the Olympics and figure skating can't always be all sparkly and pretty.

O-

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    So sorry that sexual abuse allegations are not resolved within a time frame that you approve of. You are just, indescribable. And not in a nice Las Vegas way.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    I believe in 2011 when this happened Morgan and Luke had progressed to one of the top three novice teams making the possibility of a JGP place pretty likely. Sad they never got the chance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    So sorry that sexual abuse allegations are not resolved within a time frame that you approve of. You are just, indescribable. And not in a nice Las Vegas way.
    I thought that Sretenski was sentenced in Lake Placid last January, fine paid and sent to some sort of house arrest back in Maryland. I don't understand your rudeness. Many of us work away from our homes and are not aware of every bit of local news. Kasey, I hope that you show a tad more tolerance with your family and coworkers than you do with FSUers.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Un..._Championships, they were 7th in Novice in 2011.

vCash
    Correct. The 2011 nationals was their first year competing as a team and had them in 7th. The Lake placid ice championship that year was in 2010. The problem started the next year at the 2011 lake placid competition which would have been the 2012 nationals. That was the year they had a shot at the podium

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kegra View Post
    The 2011 nationals was their first year competing as a team and had them in 7th.
    Actually, they partnered in the summer of 2009. They just missed (5th at Sectionals, I think) making 2010 Nats. 2011 Nats was their second full season together. So their total partnership duration was about 2 years.