View Poll Results: Who will win the Ice Dance bronze medal at the Sochi Olympics?

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ekaterina Bobrova / Dmitri Soloviev

61 28.11%
  • Anna Cappellini / Luca Lanotte

23 10.60%
  • Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje

58 26.73%
  • Nathalie Péchalat / Fabian Bourzat

37 17.05%
  • Madison Chock / Evan Bates

15 6.91%
  • Maia Shibutani / Alex Shibutani

4 1.84%
  • Elena Ilinykh / Nikita Katsalapov

13 5.99%
  • Other

6 2.76%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    Maybe you forgot the Shibutani's won the World bronze medal in 2011. A higher placement/achievement than most on the list.
    But you are forgetting that they won that bronze with somewhere between 96 and 97 points in the FD. Last season five teams had more than that (C/L, B/S and W/P apart from D/W and V/M), Chock/Bates had somewhere around that, and two more teams are fully capable of more than reaching that sum (P/B and I/K).

Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Still shocked to see the little amount for votes for Pechalat & Bourzat. They had a bad skate and one competition and suddenly people think they are below W/P
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    Yes I can't wait to see Master's competition
    Remember P/B were at the top of their game before the injury so I'm not counting them out .They have had a run of bad luck with Nathalie's nose injury Fabian's injury and then the coaching change
    I'm really interested to see them under Igor .
    And this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Still shocked to see the little amount for votes for Pechalat & Bourzat.
    I am actually shocked at them having so many votes as they do.

vCash
    The cute little Italians should take bronze. They are only getting better despite being older than some others and nearly got the bronze at Worlds. What I am sure of is that it will be someone who was 3rd to 5th at Worlds. It wont be Pechalot & Bourzat and it definitely wont be one of the U.S teams. I guess that other Russian team could get it if Bobrova & Soloviev skated before them in the SD, fell, and they had to quickly promote their #2.

vCash
    Other: Virtue/Moir. Russia will earn at least silver. It will be in Russia, remember.

I also have a feeling that the #1 Russian team in Sochi will be someone other than Bobrova/Soloviev, maybe the son of Bukin & his partner. Think of the 1994 surprise from 'unknowns.' Let's see what transpires during the Sr G-P season.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Other: Virtue/Moir. Russia will earn at least silver. It will be in Russia, remember.

I also have a feeling that the #1 Russian team in Sochi will be someone other than Bobrova/Soloviev, maybe the son of Bukin & his partner. Think of the 1994 surprise from 'unknowns.' Let's see what transpires during the Sr G-P season.
    LOL a team who didnt even skate Seniors before will never win Olympic Gold or Silver. Olympics are in Russia but it is still a sporting competition, not a reality TV show.

vCash
    Why are Weaver & Poje winning this poll? Are you people nuts. A team that has never won a World medal, is older than most of the top teams, and isnt even certain to make the Olympic tema for Canada.

vCash
    My thoughts in general.

1. Bobrova/Soloviev are the top picks, but not strongly. Of all the teams here, they are the ones mostly likely to make the visible points losing mistake as well as the invisible but major hits (losing levels on the step sequences). A hometown games certainly helps and I think they are solidly the Russian number ones at this point with I/K's struggles after Worlds 2012. This is one of those predictions that I wouldn't bet money on.

2. I'm finding the discussion surrounding Pechalat/Bourzat and Weaver/Poje pretty fascinating, actually.

I think those that are predicting P/B to fall behind the rest of the "next in line" pack are doing so based strictly on the feeling post-Nice that they had peaked. They were generously scored on home ice after a struggle of a season (seemingly forced to change coaches, withdrawing from Skate Canada because of his bronchitis, the broken nose (?) from practice, losing the SD at Euros to B/S). Given how closely they were scored to W/P all season, the huge difference in marks at Nice (which instantly saw a retraction at WTT) felt very much a congratulations to an old stalwart (they were by far the most senior team). Meanwhile, W/P had a sensational season. After firmly vanquishing Crone/Poirier at Worlds 2011, they had three straight silver medals on the GP circuit (beating B/S on home ice to boot), and had a very strong fourth place at Worlds with an emotionally thrilling FD. Worlds were in Canada, they were on their way up (B/S felt like they were on their way down after Worlds 2012, and I/K were their usually inconsistent selves).... the bronze medal was in sight.

But I think the beginning of the 12/13 season somewhat challenged those preconceptions (or at least, those were the ones I held). P/B took a massive confidence boost from those Worlds (she said straight up that she felt like she could challenge the Canton duo for gold) and they were VERY well prepared for the season - scoring the levels on the YP, and easily winning both of their GP events. Meanwhile, W/P struggled - they lost levels and lost to B/S (and when you lose to B/S because YOU can't score the levels, something's wrong). They didn't even qualify for the GPF.

Then both teams got injured. I think the fact that W/P were able to recover from injury more easily then P/B has rather skewed things (though P/B seem to be the ice dance team of the moment suffering the most from health concerns, so maybe not.). That stated, W/P have come off a well-scored at the US Classic and seem a lot readier this season then last. Right now, I'd slightly favour W/P between the two, but I think W/P are going to be more like Dubreuil/Lauzon - have a couple medals from a post-Olympics field and then retire before 2018.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    Why are Weaver & Poje winning this poll? Are you people nuts. A team that has never won a World medal, is older than most of the top teams, and isnt even certain to make the Olympic tema for Canada.
    FYI, Weaver and Poje were 4th and 5th (after only 3 weeks of practice) at the last two worlds, making them pretty darn close to the podium. Second of all, they are pretty close to guaranteed a spot on the Canadian team (barring a MAJOR disaster) and thirdly, they are the same age as V/M and D/W, younger than P/B and C/L, and slightly older than B/S.

vCash
    I would love to see Weaver & Poje win the bronze in Sochi more than words can describe. I am not sure how likely that is however. I still think they have as good a chance as most teams on this list but Bobrova & Soloviev would have to mess up pretty badly to not get it on home ice, and even if they do there are several teams who probably have roughly equal shots. I was worried seeing W&P lose to Chock & Bates at the WTT as that is another up and coming team on their heels.

vCash
    If V/M D/W win olympics and P/B get bronze and all three retire after olympics . I can really see W/P as world champs

vCash
    Didn't you all know that the Australians are going to cause a major upset and take the bronze!
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    If V/M D/W win olympics and P/B get bronze and all three retire after olympics . I can really see W/P as world champs
    P/B end up 3rd behind V/M and D/W they would not retire right away. They would go to 1 final Worlds without both to try and win, then retire. I dont think P/B will be 3rd in anymore major events, but just saying if they did they wouldnt leave without 1 try for gold after then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    P/B or B/S, but I'm hoping P/B. They only got 6th at last year's worlds due to injury so people shouldn't be counting them out. I don't think it'll be any of the others on that list, unless Chock/Bates pull a surprise, but somehow I can't see NO European team on the podium.
    Weaver & Poje have a way better chance at the bronze medal than Chock & Bates do. So do the Italians.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    P/B end up 3rd behind V/M and D/W they would not retire right away. They would go to 1 final Worlds without both to try and win, then retire. I dont think P/B will be 3rd in anymore major events, but just saying if they did they wouldnt leave without 1 try for gold after then.
    Why is everyone assuming VM and DW will retire right after the Olys? I know Olympic champions tend to skip the following Worlds, but they might as well participate, especially if one team retires, the other one goes to Worlds with a clear shot at their third World title.

Of course such situations always question the point of having Worlds in an Olympic season at all. Usually they end up having Olympic leftovers on the World podium instead of creating real deserving champions.

By the way, can anyone update me which of the teams from this poll have already debuted their programs? Of course I know D/W and W/P have and V/M debuted their SD, with FD to come at Finlandia, but what about the rest? C/B and B/S will also be at Finlandia if I'm not wrong. What about P/B, I/K, C/L and the Shibs?

vCash
    Well VM have said it is their final season for sure. They didnt say they wouldnt go to Worlds though so they still might go and finish the season. DW have not said anything about what they are doing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    By the way, can anyone update me which of the teams from this poll have already debuted their programs? Of course I know D/W and W/P have and V/M debuted their SD, with FD to come at Finlandia, but what about the rest? C/B and B/S will also be at Finlandia if I'm not wrong. What about P/B, I/K, C/L and the Shibs?
    P/B will debut their programs at French Masters at the end of this week (but videos are not guaranteed I guess, so probably we will have to wait until Cup of China), I/K will show theirs at the Cup of Russia this week (but, again, not sure about videos, and the next competition for them is NKH Trophy), C/L will debut at Ondrej Nepela Trophy (at the same time as Finlandia Trophy), Shibutanis were supposed to compete at US International FS Classic earlier this month, but withdrew due to slight neck strain for Alex Shibutani, so they will now debut at Skate America.

P.S.: Also, I read just now that it was written on a Russian forum that B/S won't compete in Finlandia Trophy, but go to the smaller Ice Star competition in Minsk, Belarus instead. Probably some fan videos will show up - last year I saw videos of Zlobina/Sitnikov from there.

P.P.S.: Another correction - apparently B/S will be at Finlandia Trophy according to the new press release.
    Last edited by lauravvv; 10-01-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    Well VM have said it is their final season for sure. They didnt say they wouldnt go to Worlds though so they still might go and finish the season. DW have not said anything about what they are doing.
    Actually, V/M haven't said it's their final season for sure. They have said that this is likely their last season, but in one of the articles from the past few months, Tessa said that they make the decision on a year-to-year basis.

P/B have said that Sochi will be their last competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    P/B will debut their programs at French Masters at the end of this week (but videos are not guaranteed I guess, so probably we will have to wait until Cup of China), I/K will show theirs at the Cup of Russia this week (but, again, not sure about videos, and the next competition for them is NKH Trophy), C/L will debut at Ondrej Nepela Trophy (at the same time as Finlandia Trophy), Shibutanis were supposed to compete at US International FS Classic earlier this month, but withdrew due to slight neck strain for Alex Shibutani, so they will now debut at Skate America.

P.S.: Also, I read just now that it was written on a Russian forum that B/S won't compete in Finlandia Trophy, but go to the smaller Ice Star competition in Minsk, Belarus instead. Probably some fan videos will show up - last year I saw videos of Zlobina/Sitnikov from there.

P.P.S.: Another correction - apparently B/S will be at Finlandia Trophy according to the new press release.
    Correction after correction - this time the final one: Bobrova/Soloviev won't compete in Finladia Trophy after all. Apparently Soloviev has strained his ankle, so, as I already wrote, they will compete at Ice Star in Minsk later in October (17 to 20) - http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20131001/691120046.html .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Didn't you all know that the Australians are going to cause a major upset and take the bronze!
    Yes! O'Brien and Merriman for the bronze!

vCash
    I would love to see W/P on the podium but I don't think there's a hope of a chance for three North American teams to be on the podium, even if it is deserved. (especially with the competition being in Russia) The bronze will likely go to the Russians or possibly the French.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast