View Poll Results: Who will win the Ice Dance bronze medal at the Sochi Olympics?

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ekaterina Bobrova / Dmitri Soloviev

61 28.11%
  • Anna Cappellini / Luca Lanotte

23 10.60%
  • Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje

58 26.73%
  • Nathalie Péchalat / Fabian Bourzat

37 17.05%
  • Madison Chock / Evan Bates

15 6.91%
  • Maia Shibutani / Alex Shibutani

4 1.84%
  • Elena Ilinykh / Nikita Katsalapov

13 5.99%
  • Other

6 2.76%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    The judges let the Shibutanis on the World podium for a North American sweep in Russia. The judges let that happen, they would have no problem letting Weaver & Poje, a more talented and better team, bet there if they deserve it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    The judges let the Shibutanis on the World podium for a North American sweep in Russia. The judges let that happen, they would have no problem letting Weaver & Poje, a more talented and better team, bet there if they deserve it.
    First off, there is a huge difference between a North American sweep at Worlds and at the Olys, mind you.

Secondly, back in 2011 no Russian team was a real medal contender, so the decision was whether to give the bronze to the French, the Americans or the Canadians. This time around not only is it the Olympics, but also Russian teams have moved up, won some medals inbetween and become real contenders for the bronze, especially that one of them has just won one at Worlds.

I will be surprised if the bronze doesn't go to B/S, even though I believe both P/B and W/P are more talented and more deserving.

vCash
    B/S were a team That was in Vancouver and medaled at euros and lost to the shibutanis. They had some stature and it didn't matter in Russia worlds. They Werent bronze Frontrunners and couldn't even benefit from a mistake because they weren't even 4th. They benefitted from tons of injuries in 2013 and still lost he free dance to c/l.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I&K and B&S were just as much medal threats as the Shibs in 2011. B&S had won a GP event and I&K had won the world juniors where the Shibs didn't even make the podium.

I am not a B&S fan, but I feel bad for their fans, who probably are sick of hearing "they will definitely win the bronze in Sochi, but so many other teams will be more deserving. I know I got tired of reading that DomShabs would win 2007 and 2008 Worlds and the 2010 Olympics no matter what (ironically 2009 was the year a lot of people though K&N would undeservedly win the gold).

vCash
    I dont think people are saying B&S are undeserving neccessarily if they win it. Just that with all they have in their favor now (home ice, momentum, current 3rd in the World) it is hard to see them not getting it barring a huge mistake. That shouldnt interpreted as saying they automatically wont deserve the bronze if they win it. People are saying the same thing about V&T for the gold in pairs, but that isnt people implying they wont deserve it either. Yes I do remember alot of that type of negativity towards Domnina & Shabalin, and it was to the point of being unfair, but I dont sense it hear to the same extent.

vCash
    When people say b/s have the advantage because it is russia it is not just about it being home ice. Maybe that is like 20% at most. 80% mean a political deal has been made that b/s will get bronze because Russia is hosting and hosts of figure skating events are given a medal by the Judges because that country is hosting. I read a lot that the judges have to give b/s the bronze in London so the politics of giving b/s in Sochi has precedent and it isn't so clear that an undeserving b/s were the vehicles to give Russia a medal in dance because they are hosting. This thread - it's just their skating is 80% irrelevent and is only relevant if like they don't do twizzles or miss an element.

vCash
    I hope P/B get the bronze in Sochi.

vCash
    Shibutanis have 4 votes? Amazing.

vCash
    It will be I&K. Especially if they continue some more technical consulting with Igor Shpilband like they did this summer to get levels up to par because their PCS are already huge.

vCash
    I must have missed the competitions (I dont mean a B level international) where I&k have ever received huge PCS. Maybe it will happen this year for the first time, but it hasnt yet.

vCash
    They were among top 5 PCS at Worlds 2013, even after getting disastrous scores of 11th and 15th in TES in SD and FD respectively. If they get levels and TES up, those PCS will surely go up. keep in mind they skated to that much-panned Ghost program.

They also won Europeans FD (in PCS and overall) over B&S...and did so with that Ghost program. They were only 0.11 points away from winning that title from B&S who eventually took bronze at Worlds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I must have missed the competitions (I dont mean a B level international) where I&k have ever received huge PCS. Maybe it will happen this year for the first time, but it hasnt yet.
    Their FD PCS last year, with a program that everyone agreed was appalling choreographically:

COR: 49.31
    NHK: 50.93
    GPF: 49.30
    Nationals: 55.46
    EC: 53.08
    WC: 51.80

Other contenders for the Bronze:

P/B
    COC: 52.75
    TEB: 53.53
    GPF: 52.70
    Nationals: 53.88
    WC: 53.60

C/L
    SC: 50.35
    TEB: 50.23
    GPF: 49.32
    Nationals: 53.63
    EC: 51.28
    WC: 51.82

B/S
    SA: 49.33
    COC: 50.64
    GPF: 49.03
    Nationals: 55.31
    EC: 52.83
    WC: 53.83

W/P
    SA: 49.94
    COC: 49.13
    WC: 51.52

P/B have the best PCS (they're 3-5 points off what V/M and D/W usually get) I/K and B/S are their nearest competitors with potential to get just as high marks, but they are more inconsistant. W/P and C/L a couple of points off the pace. Interesting to note that 3 out of 4 times that I/K went head to head with B/S they came out on top on PCS, being let down on the technical side. Will be interesting to see what happens now that I/K have a more interesting and coherent program than last year's offering, and claim to have worked more on ensuring they get the levels, particularly in the SD.

vCash
    I would say B/S if they skate the way they did last year. I think they're outskating W/P right now, and if D/W are going home with gold, it definitely won't be American. Home ice advantage means they'll likely skate their very best because it's a home crowd. Doesn't have to mean politics in this case.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123