vCash

Most improved Lady this Olympic cycle?

Who would you consider to be the most improved lady since the 2010 Olympics?

Explain who and exactly what aspects of their skating do you consider to have improved the most!

I have 3 that stand out.
    Kostner, Korpi and Wagner

For obvious reasons with Carolina, compare her Olympic performances and career before 2010 to what she is up to now. Yes, she has always been able to do some great jumps but she seems to have gotten her nerves and speed under control which was the cause for her up and down career. Plus with clear improvement across the board in program components and programs I think she is the most improved.

Ashley Wagner, as much as I still dislike her skating when you go back and watch her nationals before the 2010 Olympics it is hard to deny that she has made a large improvement in PCs. She doesn't seem as frantic and stiff with a lot of her movements any more and just her competitiveness is leaps and bounds ahead of where she was. Unfortunately there are still a lot of the same errors on jumps being made and I wouldn't say her spins have made an improvement.

Korpi, Although not so much improvement in jump technique, the quality and flow she has across the ice in jumps and steps is far better than what she was.

It is funny when I look at the list of ladies who have been around since before 2010, a lot IMO seem to have stayed the same or gotten worse since the last cycle....

vCash
    Hm.. hard question..disagree with Korpi and Carolna. Maybe Wagner,yes.

vCash
    Ashley's spins have regressed a bit since going to Nicks. It's obvious that Priscilla put more emphasis on that and after Ashley left, Ashley stop practicing her spins as much as she used to.

vCash
    Hmmm

Wagner

Marchei

vCash
    Suzuki, Wagner, Marchei, Leonova (with ups and downs, but IMHO, she improved her skating skills).
    As for Caro, i think she always were amazing. Now she simply become more confidence and i LOVE her programs (especially Mozart and Bolero)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    Hmmm

Wagner

Marchei
    Marchei!!!! You are right!!

vCash
    I think Wagner has to take the top pick here. She has improved by leaps and bounds.

Carolina has sort of improved but it's almost more like she's been fighting back to get back to her former self then went a bit further. She was already a multiple world medallist before 2010 with skating skills that were the best of the business, then she slumped

Other notable skaters should definitely be Marchei and Suzuki. OTOH I think Leonova has regressed.

vCash
    Some people think a clean Kostner would make it very close against a clean Yu Na Kim. Nobody would have said that in her former prime, despite her World medals and European titles. Based on that alone she has obviously improved. She also has more elegance and control in her skating now. Before she was a speed demon with some nice line but not very polished or controlled.

That said Ashley is most improved even over Kostner I think. She went from looking like a non contender in the U.S ever again at the 2011 Nationals to a World level contender.

vCash
    Despite enjoying her skating, I always had a lot of doubts about Ashley, and I'm so pleased to be proven completely wrong. Ashley's 2011 skating to her 2012 skating was probably the most drastic change of any skater in the last four years.

Carolina already had a lot going for her, but I would definitely agree that she has improved. Her skating looks more refined, and she's obviously become a better competitor.

vCash
    Wagner (really in the last couple of years), Marchei, Viktoria Helgesson maybe.. I know until the 2010 Worlds I never really noticed her but then she became one of my favourites

I thought Suzuki was already nearly as good as she is now in 2010, and I agree with other posters that Kostner was just recovering from a downturn.

vCash
    I agree Suzuki isnt much different from 2010. She was underscored that year as she didnt have a rep yet, and also the field was way too deep for her that year realistically anyway (while the 2011-2012 field was alot softer).

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I would say Ashley Wagner. In 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011, I never would have thought that she would be a 2-time Worlds top 5 finisher or that she would defeat Mao Asada to win a 4CC title in 2012.