Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Yuka Sato skating today would be unbeatable even with 3 or 4 fall?

We see today Patrick Chan can win any event he is in with 3, 4, even sometimes 5 or 6 falls. That suggest the new COP puts a heavy emphasis on skating skills above all else. Patrick isnt great in anything else, but that doesnt matter. So could Yuka Sato who like Patrick is amazing in skating skills, better than Chan in footwork and spins, and like Patrick not great in anything else, and like Patrick inconsistent and so so in jumps, have been unbeatable under todays skating system with a heavy emphasis on skating skills way above all else. Even unbeatable with 4 or 5 falls even if Kim or Asada skated clean, the way Chan is unbeatable with 4 or 5 falls even probably if Takahashi and Hanyu his biggest competitors skate clean. Just due to the skating skill heavy judging system.

vCash
    Patrick Chan has some great jumps when he lands them. His 4t-3t combination is beautiful. Unless Yuka developed the hardest jumps the ladies are doing these days (3L-3t or 3A-2t) I don't see her winning with 3 or 4 falls. Chan's situation is different. He is inconsistent in his jumps but he is capable of landing those. Yuka's jumps always seemed labored to me. She does not have the kind of flexibility current ladies have, so I don't see her get high marks for spins. She has the footwork and basic skating skills, but not enough to win with 3 or 4 falls. I don't think Chan should win with that many falls either, but he has a stronger case than Yuka would have had.

vCash
    KimGOAT, don't use Yuka Sato to preach your 'rubbish' against Patrick.
    Patrick did not win with 5-6 falls. He did not win the FS with his less than perfect program. He is not the only skater who has won medals with less than perfect programs.
    Patrick has technically good jumps besides excellent skating skills. He is among the top because of his 'rounded skills'.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    We see today Patrick Chan can win any event he is in with 3, 4, even sometimes 5 or 6 falls. That suggest the new COP puts a heavy emphasis on skating skills above all else. Patrick isnt great in anything else, but that doesnt matter. So could Yuka Sato who like Patrick is amazing in skating skills, better than Chan in footwork and spins, and like Patrick not great in anything else, and like Patrick inconsistent and so so in jumps, have been unbeatable under todays skating system with a heavy emphasis on skating skills way above all else. Even unbeatable with 4 or 5 falls even if Kim or Asada skated clean, the way Chan is unbeatable with 4 or 5 falls even probably if Takahashi and Hanyu his biggest competitors skate clean. Just due to the skating skill heavy judging system.
    We had the good fortune to have Yuka sit on our row at worlds. She is gorgeous and a lovely person. However, I agree that her jumps came across laboured.
    Patrick Chan on the other hand has jumps especially the quads that are gorgeous. It is shameful that you couch your irrelevant question just so you can knock Patrick. Further, you are totally inaccurate in saying that chan's footwork is not as good as Yuka's!
    Last edited by Emdee; 10-13-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Team Voronov, party of 1
    vCash
    Yes, but only if she skated to a muzak version of Hat Full of Stars with a black top hat. 6.0s, baby.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    KimGOAT, don't use Yuka Sato to preach your 'rubbish' against Patrick.
    I just hope that post didn't come as a surprise though because you had been warned...

vCash
    This thread wasnt meant as a bash Chan thread. It is reality though he has roughly a 3-5 fall cusion on his nearest competitors, and that is assuming they skate perfectly. Without getting into whether the judging is fair or not, that is largely based on a skating system that rewards his skills. His main skills are the best skating skills maybe ever, and amazing footwork, which Yuka also had (and yes her footwork for a women was more incredible than Chan was amongst the men, as well as her speed I would say). So based on that would Yuka, a second tier skater of her era, became a skater who could even win with many falls under todays skating skill heavy system. That is all I was asking.

I agree Chan's jumps when he lands them are better even for a man by todays standards than Yuka's was for a women in early 90s standards, so if they were having the same large number of falls and errors as Chan typically has Chan would have the stronger jumps in that scenario. Still I dont consider his jumps amazing or the best either, even when he does land them.

vCash
    At the very least Yuka would probably be more appreciated in todays rules than in her own era. In her own time she couldnt even beat Kerrigan, Baiul, Chan, or Bonaly if they skated cleanly. Under todays rules she could probably have made atleast a couple mistakes and beaten all those particular women even skating cleanly.

vCash
    I think Yuka under COP would have been like Lepisto or Korpi...much appreciated for her great skills, but due to lack of harder jumps/combos, not really a contender at the very highest levels. She's no Patrick, that is for sure.

vCash
    Nothing like finding a piece of string and coming up with the most convoluted connection ever to try and engender some discussion which at the end of the day is a no brainer. Or to summarise "I searched my butt and came up with this topic".
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Your joking, right? I mean seriously, do you really believe that Patrick won with 5 or 6 falls? Where? When was this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Nothing like finding a piece of string and coming up with the most convoluted connection ever to try and engender some discussion which at the end of the day is a no brainer. Or to summarise "I searched my butt and came up with this topic".
    You go Aussie!

vCash
    I agree with the "are you joking" sentiment. Yuka Sato never fell as many as 4 times and still didn't win, so...

The reason Chan wins in spite of falling is only partly because of ridiculous PCS. He also racks up a lot of points with the difficult jumps he includes in his programs and a lot of those points are there even if he fails to land the jump. Sato never was at the cutting edge of difficult jumps, so she would not be out-pointing folks there. In fact, under PCS I doubt Sato would have won her one World title, as Bonaly outjumped her by a good margin. Also, while Sato may have earned a high PCS mark for skating skills, the rest of her presentation was too quiet to rack up points for today's judges.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    In fact, under PCS I doubt Sato would have won her one World title, as Bonaly
    under COP Bonaly would have never made top 5 at a World Championships, except maybe in 1993. A bunch of < jumps, level 1 other elements, and 4s for skating skills. She wouldnt have even become a big name or contender to begin with. I dont even dislike Bonaly as some people do but she would have had more chance getting a string of 6.0s for artistic impression under 6.0 than coming even close to a World title under COP.

vCash
    I love Yuka Sato's skating. But really, always reading Patrick Chan can have 3 or 4 falls is so wrong. Patrick Chan has 2 quads in his programs, with quad-triple combo, so his base value is better than almost everyone, and his PCS are good enough to beat them all.
    So, Yuka Sato with 2 triple Lutz and a 3/3 combo can be unbeatable even with 3 or 4 falls. Maybe...Hahahaaaa
    Her PCS should be unbeatable. She is even better than Carolina Kostner, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I love Yuka Sato's skating. But really, always reading Patrick Chan can have 3 or 4 falls is so wrong. Patrick Chan has 2 quads in his programs, with quad-triple combo, so his base value is better than almost everyone, and his PCS are good enough to beat them all.
    So, Yuka Sato with 2 triple Lutz and a 3/3 combo can be unbeatable even with 3 or 4 falls. Maybe...Hahahaaaa
    Her PCS should be unbeatable. She is even better than Carolina Kostner, IMO.
    Better than those with 3 quads, with one of them being a 4-3?

Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    vCash
    The premise of this thread is like something out of Stephen King!!!

There... I said it...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post

There... I said it...
    Hatful Things
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

Eh?
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post

There... I said it...
    You mean with Patrick Chan cutting off his competitors' feet in the basement, or Yuka Sato using telekinesis to seek out and destroy haters of "A Hat Full of Stars"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast