Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

DWTS Season 18? Mirror Ball or All Balled Up?

We're half way through the season. Carry on?

vCash
    This is what Danica posted on her website about her dance experience before the season started. FYI - www.danicamckellar.com

I've seriously been such a fan of DWTS since the beginning and I'm so excited to be a part of it this season. (Thank you Tom Bergeron for encouraging/badgering me to do it.) I admit that I was nervous at first, but the thing is, I love dance, I love challenges, and I love sparkly outfits... And I guess I have the dancing gene: My mom was a professional dancer and had me & my sister taking ballet as little girls, but I never really pursued it. My sister did - she was quite the ballerina for awhile! Then back in 2006 I did a movie in Dallas where I had to do a Tango scene. I rehearsed for about a month - it was tough but I totally got the dancing bug, and I always wished I could spend more time getting better at it. After I came back to LA, I remained friends with my teachers back in Dallas, and I kept dancing as an on-again, off-again hobby - but between my two careers and being a mom, there just wasn't ever the time to really focus on dance - until now! And Val is seriously kicking my butt - I'm losing weight AND eating like I did when I was pregnant! BTW, I feel so lucky to have Val as my partner. He can be tough on me sometimes, but I feel myself getting better an I'm really grateful to him.

vCash
    Meryl is doing fine, but I predict they will lower her scores so as not to seem to have already decided the final. I hope that Charlie can get the higher scores he deserves. I think they will play up the partnership near the end to get viewers.

vCash
    Afterbuzz starting now, if anyone is interested! http://site.afterbuzztv.com/shows/da...-tv-aftershow/

vCash
    Charlie's doing the paso doble next week and Meryl has salsa!

vCash
    I am so looking forward to the paso doble.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    So excited for next week! Can it be Monday now?

I really enjoyed Afterbuzz tonight; it was a focused, active and lively discussion. Kristyn Burtt is great at leading the conversation and also at tying in comments from social media-they mentioned a lot of things that have been said and I really liked that.

I'm with them; Nene might have an edge performance-wise on Candace, but Candace is just better technically and I want that to be rewarded with another week on the show. Candace is due for her "Aha!" moment any day now, I feel it. She's not my favorite, but as the season has gone on I'm appreciating her more than I did at first. Nene...every dance just turns into Nene being Nene. She seems more pleasant than I might have thought originally - for all her drama, she probably is one of Tony's nicer celeb partners (the poor man!) but I thought for sure she would be gone this week.

Maks being open about his insecurities was a great moment for him, and this season is becoming a journey for him as well. I'm not surprised at all that this moment of course happened in front of the camera, but hey, it's 'reality' TV. Meryl may have been a magician in another life.

But also, I can believe there is a ton of pressure to make sure Meryl gets the content that is expected of her. She is such a ringer, and probably Maks' best chance to win the MBT even if he's trying not to think about it a lot.

I'm also with Kristyn on Charlie's score from last week. Who cares about the cane drop? If other people aren't doing nearly as challenging routines as he is and still getting the same numbers...what's up with that? The cane drop is so minor in the grand scheme of how awesome that dance was. Len recognized it; he gave the one 10! But there's probably also some merit to saying that the judges are waiting for the WOW dance. I agree that as amazing as everything has been, it hasn't fully been on just yet. It'll happen though.

Henry was a wonderful contributor! Afterbuzz, please have him back again! (I totally think he and Diana got hosed, especially the manner in how they were eliminated).

Tidbits for next week:

Spoiler

Last edited by lmarie086; 04-23-2014 at 04:08 AM.

vCash
    Doris, thanks for starting the new thread.

vCash
    nm

vCash
    I think what makes Meryl/Maks so compelling is that they stay in character both on and off the dance floor. They don't just step on the dance floor and expect you to suddenly believe that they are lovers, cute cartoon characters, or whatever. You may have an idea they are acting, but you can't be sure. Charlie/Sharna don't do that. You see Charlie acting suave during a tango and you think no, that's all wrong.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    I think Meryl/Maks is the team to beat.. the intensity and great technique is really impressive - tonight was my favourite dance for this season... I think she is a fabulous dancer.. her exotic looks really help as well.
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    This season is Mak's best chance ever to grab the mirrored ball. The producers are practically putting the trophy into his laps. If he doesn't win then I think he'll be devastated.

vCash
    I think this is definitely going to be Maks' farewell to the show, whether or not he wins. If he wins, he'll never be able to top the experience of both winning and having such a thoroughly great partnership. If he loses, he's got no hope of being partnered with somebody better or going as far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    This season is Mak's best chance ever to grab the mirrored ball. The producers are practically putting the trophy into his laps. If he doesn't win then I think he'll be devastated.
    If he doesn't win with Meryl, it ain't ever gonna happen for him.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    He may like the money and publicity. He owns dance studios and the television exposure doesn't hurt. I'm not sure winning on this show gives him any dance cred, this is kind of the Honey Boo Boo of the dance world. Plus he wants to break into acting and a lot of his partners have been actresses who can hook him up. I don't think he came back to the show for Meryl or to win the mirror ball.

vCash
    I'm trying to figure out whose idea it was for Meryl and Maks to be partnered up. Size-wise, it's not really intuitive. He compensated for the height issue well in the Tango but it was still there.

I was really surprised when they paired them up and obviously I could not see the chemistry thing coming. I had thought for sure that Meryl would get Mark.
    Do the couples dance together (away from the cameras) once first before the pairs are announced?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I'm not sure about that -- i.e. the producers setting up everything for him to win -- besides giving him Meryl as a partner. I have thought since the beginning that Amy is one who could garner the most votes -- having Derek as her partner certainly doesn't hurt her with a large portion of the DWTS audience. I read an article yesterday where Cheryl was quoted as saying that she thinks the winner will be either Meryl or Amy.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Do the couples dance together (away from the cameras) once first before the pairs are announced?
    From what I have gathered: The producers discuss with the stars beforehand which pro(s) they might like to be paired up with. Really tall women are limited to one of the taller pros. Women who request Maks - as Erin Andrews and Kirstie Alley did - are very strongly warned that he'll be rough on them and that they should reconsider.

The stars and the pros meet a few days before the official announcement and start rehearsing together. That meeting when they first walk into the room and see each other is what is aired in their first package. I just came across an interview with Maks a couple of days ago where he says the pro is informed of who their celebrity is about 20 minutes beforehand, in order to avoid any unpleasant reactions.

Meryl and Maks would not be a natural choice due to their height, but I think Meryl was promised to him to lure him back to the show.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    He may like the money and publicity. He owns dance studios and the television exposure doesn't hurt. I'm not sure winning on this show gives him any dance cred, this is kind of the Honey Boo Boo of the dance world. Plus he wants to break into acting and a lot of his partners have been actresses who can hook him up. I don't think he came back to the show for Meryl or to win the mirror ball.
    It doesn't, but Maks doesn't need a ton of extra credibility for teaching/studios, he just needs to crank out winners. And, frankly, since he judges competitions he'll always get coaching because it never, ever hurts to get coaching from people who may be on a panel. (Unless you run into people like S., one of my pro's old coaches, who dings his own students harder because he knows their weak spots. Yet I'd still probably take a coaching lesson because he's big in defining my division.) Don't underestimate how much he wants to win, though. He's gotten close but never the mirror ball and he's competitive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    From what I have gathered: The producers discuss with the stars beforehand which pro(s) they might like to be paired up with. Really tall women are limited to one of the taller pros. Women who request Maks - as Erin Andrews and Kirstie Alley did - are very strongly warned that he'll be rough on them and that they should reconsider.

The stars and the pros meet a few days before the official announcement and start rehearsing together. That meeting when they first walk into the room and see each other is what is aired in their first package. I just came across an interview with Maks a couple of days ago where he says the pro is informed of who their celebrity is about 20 minutes beforehand, in order to avoid any unpleasant reactions.

Meryl and Maks would not be a natural choice due to their height, but I think Meryl was promised to him to lure him back to the show.
    Thanks! I do wonder what other factors they considered in making the pairings. I guess if height were the only factor they considered, Maks would have Nene and I doubt DWTS has insurance coverage for the explosiveness of that pairing!

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast