Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyich View Post
    Very true. It still seems that start order matters despite the fact that one of the benefits of this system is supposed to be that it shouldn't.

skating early helped Mao give that beautiful performance. it took the enormous pressure she had going last in the short.

vCash
    I just saw Mao said "I have no idea about the future but the next competition." I'm sure she'll go to Worlds.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    I just saw Mao said "I have no idea about the future but the next competition." I'm sure she'll go to Worlds.
    Yes, please! I not ready to let go of her powerful, athletic yet light and ethereal skating.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    She is leaving open the possibility a la Michelle, who never "officially" retired.

vCash
    The reaction of Mao at the end made me cry. I really hope this isnt the last we see if her. If not atleast in some competitions, maybe some prominent shows.

vCash
    I am cheering as loud as I can for Mao.

But maybe, just maybe, she might consider a different costume for the worlds?

Vacant
    vCash
    Here's a tribute site to Mao's free skate called Last Dance. I have no idea what it says but the design is stunning and the pictures are beautiful. Have a click around even if you don't read Japanese, it's so worth it.

http://www.asahi.com/olympics/sochi2014/lastdance/

vCash
    Mao is planning on competing at the World championship in her home country YAY! Go Mao!

http://www.kansas.com/2014/02/20/330...-finishes.html

vCash
    Mao had the performance of the evening for sure, definitely should have won the freeskate by a longshot and should have beaten Yuna's world record score set at the Olympics in 2010! (And this is from someone who is generally more in the Yuna camp than Mao)

Technically superior to anything we've seen since Midori Ito by a lady, 8 triples, triple flip triple loop, double axel triple toe combo. Rewatching the program too, I was actually surprised at how many transitions were in the program before and after jumps, tons of rockers, counters, brackets, etc. And very few crossovers to gain speed relative to the other top skaters! The combos should NOT have been called underrotated (especially if they didn't call Kanako on anything and didn't downgrade Yulia's triple sal), and she should have won the freeskate with a score of 153-155, yes she was that good!!!

Getting PCS below Yulia was criminal, she should have won TES by a lot and been roughly tied if not slightly ahead of Yuna and Caro in PCS! (And Adelina should have been at least 7 points back of all 3 in PCS if not more!)

vCash
    Judges need to mark the PCS according to the criteria and not hold down early skaters. This is not 6.0. There is no limit to how many points a skater can get, so they need to let it loose, and give the marks a skater deserves. Of course they can't give more than 10 in each category, but still giving someone like Mao 8's for that performance is criminal. They also need to stop giving 'bonus' marks to the fight flight skaters. To some extent, they earned it by skating well in the SP, but it skews the overall results. IMO every skater should be judged individually in each category, regardless of what skating order he/she is at.

Will this ever happen? Not in my lifetime.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    Mao had the performance of the evening for sure, definitely should have won the freeskate by a longshot and should have beaten Yuna's world record score set at the Olympics in 2010!
    [snip]
    and she should have won the freeskate with a score of 153-155, yes she was that good!!!
    MY thoughts exactly. After she skated I said to myself, "that simply has to be over 150." I couldn't believe how low the score was.

vCash
    Her low score was a travesty. 72 for tech (for seven triples and one 3A), 69 for PCS, compared to...well, I think that goes without saying. :/

vCash
    She would have won the long program if she had been in the last group - I don't think anybody would dispute that, and I think the caller would've been more lenient as well. She also would've had some 10's for PCS - judges wouldn't have given Kostner or Kim the 10's they received skating the same performances they gave in her group either. And Sotnikova wouldn't have had any mark from any judge higher than 9.25.

It's funny, she doesn't have an OGM but with that performance she did so much more for figure skating and for us fans than if she had won the OGM with a less impressive program (like Hanyu ended up doing) - I don't think we will see a lady skater give that kind of a LP performance for another 10-15 years.
    Last edited by Karpenko; 02-23-2014 at 02:29 AM.

vCash
    After seeing how so many doubted her ability to complete that program, saying it would be a miracle or whatnot, I'm so happy to see Mao prove ppl wrong and gave us this miraculous performance. It really is the embodiment of everything good about the Olympics.

vCash
    I assume the interview was done before the exhibition, I saw it a few hours ago on TV and Mao said she was so happy to have done her best performance and this was the best Olympics for her. I'm so so so happy for her. The interview made my eyes full of tears. I think what she wanted to do in Sochi was to show her best performance, her own ideal performance, while OGM was kinda responsibility as a representative of Japan. Her words in the interview, "this was the best Olys for me", might be such a joy for her long time fans(as I am) as well. She ended up with no OGM but she's surely one of the most memorable skaters as Midori was, who's Mao's idol. It's kida bitter and sweet ending but I'm so happy with it since she reached her own ultimate and insane goal. It's a shame that she couldn't provide clean short program but c'est la vie. I'll post some translations of the published interviews later here.

ETA:
    one of my fav photos from gala rehearsal
    http://az490469.vo.msecnd.net/~/medi...1112001000.jpg

Last edited by rosewood; 02-23-2014 at 02:39 AM.

vCash
    Mao's FS made my eye sockets cramp. Such an angelic, feathery presence on the ice. She will always be remembered by me right next to Yuna Kim.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyhm View Post
    Mao is planning on competing at the World championship in her home country YAY! Go Mao!

http://www.kansas.com/2014/02/20/330...-finishes.html
    What a competitor and skater! I hope she receives the retirement ceremony she deserves. (But.. please change the costume to something else, Mao. I'm begging you!)

vCash
    Is she skating in this Gala tonight? I hate that I have to sit through all this skiing and sledding crap just to see the figure skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    She would have won the long program if she had been in the last group - I don't think anybody would dispute that, and I think the caller would've been more lenient as well. She also would've had some 10's for PCS - judges wouldn't have given Kostner or Kim the 10's they received skating the same performances they gave in her group either. And Sotnikova wouldn't have had any mark from any judge higher than 9.25.

It's funny, she doesn't have an OGM but with that performance she did so much more for figure skating and for us fans than if she had won the OGM with a less impressive program (like Hanyu ended up doing) - I don't think we will see a lady skater give that kind of a LP performance for another 10-15 years.
    No way, in fact, I suspect it would have been the opposite had Mao been close to Adelina after the short. The caller would've been more STRICT and unfair in underrotating/downgrading Mao's jumps to nullify her high base value score against Adelina. PCS, well... we all saw what happened in the final group even WITHOUT Mao skating... while both Carolina and Yuna skated flawlessly with Adelina making a mistake. With Mao skating, she would have gotten the same treatment as Carolina, probably PCS bumped down even more to make up for her technical advantage so the normal final group boost in PCS would not be much of a boost at all (may have been up to 70 - 71) and would have depended on how close she was to Adelina after the short.

And had she skated in the final group, I seriously doubt she would have won the freeskate, although she most likely would have beaten both Carolina and Yuna, and how far behind Sotnikova would have depended on if Mao skated before or after Adelina, and how far apart were their scores from the short.

vCash
    I wonder if they applied selective judging to justify holding down her PCS. I mean it would be harder to justify giving such low PCS in comparison to the others if they ratified all 8 triples. Sigh, it's unfair how Mao received so much criticism for flaws in her jumps throughout her career, while this season we see many skaters given the benefit of the doubt, at times blatant overlooking of edges/questionable rotations. When you selectively apply calls and GOES, COP is no different from 6.0.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast