Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 421
  1. #181
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    102
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I was in the arena and falling on that axel really took a lot out of her. Sigh. I really wanted her to win gold here. It isn't happening barring some major disaster from the ladies.
    Even then. She's 20 points off the lead, probably around 13 points off fourth. No way to make up the deficit. She can make a big move but a medal is gone. You can't win it in the short program but you can lose it, as they say.

  2. #182
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    987
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Sad to say, but I knew that Mao was doomed at this Olympics, and has been for a long time, actually. Whoever made her focus on the 3A to the exclusion of all else should be shot. Where are the triple-triples? What happened to the attempt at a true lutz? Why have even her normally strong jumps (eg. the flip) deteriorated?

    Mao could rely on the 3A at any event besides the Olympics, because hey, sometimes it comes off and sometimes it doesn't, but anyone with half a brain could tell that the axel is too risky an element to bank on at the biggest event of them all.

  3. #183
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    806
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    Sad to say, but I knew that Mao was doomed at this Olympics, and has been for a long time, actually. Whoever made her focus on the 3A to the exclusion of all else should be shot. Where are the triple-triples? What happened to the attempt at a true lutz? Why have even her normally strong jumps (eg. the flip) deteriorated?
    Have you skipped the whole season and just tuned in now? Those jumps are planned in her long program. And she had solid SP performances (no major mistakes on 3F and 3Lo combo all season, no one expected a performance like this one today).

  4. #184
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,981
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop1 View Post
    Even then. She's 20 points off the lead, probably around 13 points off fourth. No way to make up the deficit. She can make a big move but a medal is gone. You can't win it in the short program but you can lose it, as they say.
    Yeah, I don't know. I get a feeling the ladies free might turn out just like the men. No one skating two clean programs worthy of a gold medal. But I was so heartbroken for Mao. Everyone in the arena was crying because Julia fell (I didn't really care), but I really wanted Mao to do well here. And it didn't happen. I guess she just put too much pressure on herself to skate perfectly when she should have just let it happen.

  5. #185
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    987
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Have you skipped the whole season and just tuned in now? Those jumps are planned in her long program. And she had solid SP performances (no major mistakes on 3F and 3Lo combo all season, no one expected a performance like this one today).
    I haven't tuned in too much, admittedly. I haven't seen Mao do a clean 3-3 in ages, though. When was the last time she did? And I know she's still been attempting the lutz - is it consistently not being called a flutz now? And I still maintain that jumps like the flip that she used to do so well don't look as good as they used to. They look more laboured now, and they used to be so high; I'm not surprised that she underrotated in the short.

    And of course she has always continued in trying to land the 3A, which I feel she should have axed a long time ago.

  6. #186

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    Sad to say, but I knew that Mao was doomed at this Olympics, and has been for a long time, actually. Whoever made her focus on the 3A to the exclusion of all else should be shot. Where are the triple-triples? What happened to the attempt at a true lutz? Why have even her normally strong jumps (eg. the flip) deteriorated?

    Mao could rely on the 3A at any event besides the Olympics, because hey, sometimes it comes off and sometimes it doesn't, but anyone with half a brain could tell that the axel is too risky an element to bank on at the biggest event of them all.
    First of all, this is a Mao CHEER thread, not a Criticize thread. There are plenty of other threads where you can express your opinions (and they are clearly outdated).

    Like some people you seem to be living in the past, as if last two years did not exist. Mao worked very hard on retooling her jumps. They are much improved. She has not skated a clean LP this season, but she has skated well enough- meaning landing the important jumps- Lz, flip, loop, toe (except the 3A which she two-footed a couple of times), and delivering beautiful performances. No, the jumps are not labored. Her whole skating has become mature and yet light. You have clearly not seen her skate in a couple of years, it seems. She had not lost a competition this season until the Japanese national. I thought that was an aberration, so I never expected anything close to today's meltdown. I had expected her to land the 3A, the 3R2R combination, and score higher than Yuna. She had looked great in practices.

    Yes, the 3A is risky but some skaters go for the high risk high reward option because without it they don't stand a chance of winning. It's sort of like men going for the quad. Everyone does not play it safe like Evan Lysacek. It's Mao's choice that she wants to go for the 3A. It's something she has been doing since she was 15. She has lost the ability to land it in competitions, but in practices (from what I read) she was landing it consistently.

  7. #187
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    806
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I agree with Vash. This is a fan thread, not the place to mention forecasting meltdown predictions for a skater, esp if you haven't even been following her skating in the last season and a half.

  8. #188
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Missing Matsutake
    Posts
    2,737
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Shoulda sent Ando.

  9. #189

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Still... Mao was very beautiful yesterday.
    http://img.news.goo.ne.jp/picture/ji...0016742765.jpg

    However, it doesn't seem she has come to her senses in today's dress rehearsal. Her face looks even blank. (((Mao))) You're loved by many people. Don't be too strict to yourself, Mao.
    http://imgnews.naver.net/image/117/2...0220142105.jpg
    http://imgnews.naver.net/image/109/2...0220142103.jpg
    http://imgnews.naver.net/image/109/2...0220142602.jpg

    She was in a new dress---very similar design to the one in SA but made with lighter and stretchable cloths/spangles.

  10. #190
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    987
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    First of all, this is a Mao CHEER thread, not a Criticize thread. There are plenty of other threads where you can express your opinions (and they are clearly outdated).

    Like some people you seem to be living in the past, as if last two years did not exist. Mao worked very hard on retooling her jumps. They are much improved. She has not skated a clean LP this season, but she has skated well enough- meaning landing the important jumps- Lz, flip, loop, toe (except the 3A which she two-footed a couple of times), and delivering beautiful performances. No, the jumps are not labored. Her whole skating has become mature and yet light. You have clearly not seen her skate in a couple of years, it seems. She had not lost a competition this season until the Japanese national. I thought that was an aberration, so I never expected anything close to today's meltdown. I had expected her to land the 3A, the 3R2R combination, and score higher than Yuna. She had looked great in practices.

    Yes, the 3A is risky but some skaters go for the high risk high reward option because without it they don't stand a chance of winning. It's sort of like men going for the quad. Everyone does not play it safe like Evan Lysacek. It's Mao's choice that she wants to go for the 3A. It's something she has been doing since she was 15. She has lost the ability to land it in competitions, but in practices (from what I read) she was landing it consistently.
    I have watched her performances in the past season; not all of them, but some. As far as I'm concerned, you must be blind if you say that her jumps, on the whole, look better now than in the past. Her skating quality and SS are lovelier than ever, but her jumps are not much improved. I am in this thread because I am a Mao fan and I have valid concerns about her skating - if you think this thread should be about nothing but mindless ubering, that's your prerogative. I don't take kindly to orders, especially when they're so snottily expressed, and if it pains you so much to read what I'm saying, feel free to put me on ignore. I'll happily do the same for you.

  11. #191

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    I have watched her performances in the past season; not all of them, but some. As far as I'm concerned, you must be blind if you say that her jumps, on the whole, look better now than in the past. Her skating quality and SS are lovelier than ever, but her jumps are not much improved. I am in this thread because I am a Mao fan and I have valid concerns about her skating - if you think this thread should be about nothing but mindless ubering, that's your prerogative. I don't take kindly to orders, especially when they're so snottily expressed, and if it pains you so much to read what I'm saying, feel free to put me on ignore. I'll happily do the same for you.
    She did change her jump technique and she did improve which was evident from the fact that she was not getting that many ur's in her performances. She lost the consistency, however. I think you are so blind that you cannot see the improvements she made, yet you claim to be her fan. All I am saying is that this is a Cheer thread which should be uplifting because there are plenty of threads to criticize- rightly or wrongly. I was not the only one that felt that way.

    P.S. You don't need to tell me who I should put on ignore. I have my own list of 'ignore'. You can do whatever you want.

  12. #192
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    987
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    She did change her jump technique and she did improve which was evident from the fact that she was not getting that many ur's in her performances. She lost the consistency, however. I think you are so blind that you cannot see the improvements she made, yet you claim to be her fan. All I am saying is that this is a Cheer thread which should be uplifting because there are plenty of threads to criticize- rightly or wrongly. I was not the only one that felt that way.
    She has improved. As you said, her skating is more mature and lighter than ever, and she's still got those wonderful lines and spins. To me, however, many of her jumps have clearly deteriorated. I don't see what's wrong in pointing that out and wondering what she's going to do about it, even in a cheer thread.

    And since it seems to be a prerequisite to do the 'rah rah' bit in this thread, here's to hoping Mao has the FS of her life and miraculously pulls up into the top five.

    ETA: Oh, and I'll tell you to do whatever I like. If you don't like to read that, put me on ignore. Hah!
    Last edited by mrinalini; 02-20-2014 at 08:01 AM.

  13. #193
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    50
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I am devastated for Mao. She has worked so hard and been through so much. The Olympic ice is so cruel.

  14. #194
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phila., PA
    Posts
    3,705
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^ My feelings exactly!

  15. #195
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    72
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    My wish for Mao right now is that she can regroup and skate her heart out in the long program. Cyber hugs to Mao.

  16. #196
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,264
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainerb View Post
    Shoulda sent Ando.
    Seriously?

    She would have had at least one clean 3-axel this season if it weren't for Shin Amano.

    I admire so much how she has improved her technique over the years. Much cleaner lutz, real toe-loop and salchows. She has so much to be proud of. I hope she just goes out there and enjoys the performance today.

  17. #197
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,531
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    She was not doomed,infact,she was the one to beat at sochi after vancouver and worlds where she beat YUNA with a GREAT performance. Tarasova had Mao on the right path but she went back to her old coach (comfort zone) and lost all her momentum. Changing her jumping technique when there was NOTHING wrong with it is INSANE. After that,Mao started to become more and more inconsistent at the most inoportune time,and now you see the results. I think she is going to skate better now without the huge pressure from japan.
    Last edited by crs; 02-20-2014 at 04:37 PM.

  18. #198
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    72
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    This is just mean... I'd like to see him on skates. Comments like these make me worry for Mao's vulnerable state of mind right now. Poor Mao

    http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/st...o-asada-022014

  19. #199
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    589
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Best freeskate ever. Tears.

    You will be missed Mao

  20. #200

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Mao! Bravo!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •