Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    She was spectacular. Her tears at the end made me cry too because it was bittersweet. She must know that if she had skated a little bit better in the short, she would probably have been Olympic champion with that beautiful long program. SO proud of her to come back and skate that program so well. I just love her.
    Lol, no one except a Russian was going to be Olympic champion. That was made clear by the horrible judging. But she would have been on the podium for sure if her short had been as good as her free.

vCash
    Mao did such a wonderful job in the LP, her performance was beautiful

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alwaysaway View Post
    I completely agree with this. I highly doubt the judges could individually explain PCs for a single skater, nevermind those in relation to another if put on the spot. The judging system is awful, the second mark allows for much easier -and cleaner looking on the surface - robberies than the old one which was also terrible.

Sotnikova a full 5 points over Mao Asada? The gigantic leaps forward her scoring made in a few scant weeks? There needs to be some level of accountability.
    Just like the Russian dancers scores improved astronomically over the course of a week.

I was really disappointed with the Russian audience...I thought their behavior was a bit tacky

vCash
    I think we all know Yulia shouldn't have been ahead of Mao (that PCS is LOL worthy), but nothing can take away from the beauty of Mao's performance. One for the ages!

vCash
    Mao stole my heart so early on. I can't wait for worlds, wish her all the best!

vCash
    She was spectacular. Her tears at the end made me cry too because it was bittersweet. She must know that if she had skated a little bit better in the short, she would probably have been Olympic champion with that beautiful long program. SO proud of her to come back and skate that program so well. I just love her.
    I don't think so. Even if there were no Russian girls and Mao were clean in both programs, the judges would never have given it to her. Look at the way they downgraded her toe and loop without any justification. While the Yuna-Adelina controversy rages, nobody even mentions that Mao just skated a historic 8 triple free program and yet couldn't even win the free skate against skaters with 6 and 7 triples. The reason this is ignored is because Mao has been shafted by the judges so often throughout her entire career that everyone is basically densensitized to it already. It's impossible to point to any one instance of injustice because there are countless such incidents, so as a result nobody discusses any of them.

vCash
    Fabulous. Most beautiful long program ever. Could NOT believe when Lip. was gifted over 200 to be placed above Mao. Judging since Euros has been insane.

This is by far the best skate of these games. luv the way she moves.

It's time to divide the medals, short program and long program. After watching endless lengths of other events, skating needs this too. Won't improve the judging.

vCash
    Mighty Mao. I'm very happy for her, and I hope the Japanese media will be kind. She was wonderful.

vCash
    Mao's performance was the only one to make me cry. <3

vCash
    I think Mao's Sochi Olympic competition wins the "Most bi-polar" competition a skater has ever had award.

It was Latetia Hubert in Albertville followed by Michelle Kwan at 1998 Nationals.

She was SO AMAZING. I loved everything about that program for the first time, I loved the new costume, the jumps were a bonus but oh my god! I never thought we would ever see a performance like that from her, that was so alive - even if she won the competition I wasn't expecting the long to be that good!! I hope she wipes the floor with them at Worlds, you've got the home court advantage next Mao.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    In my opinion her performance today was the greatest Olympic ladies long program of all-time. The best performance she has ever given, she was just spectacular! I am in awe of how she pulled it together, what a champion.
    Mao was brilliant! Is there confirmation about this - Will she go to Worlds? I hope so!

vCash
    I think she'll skate in Worlds. But she hasn't announced about anything after Sochi. Well she has rights to take time to think about her future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    I think she'll skate in Worlds. But she hasn't announced about anything after Sochi. Well she has rights to take time to think about her future.
    I thought Mao said she was retiring after Sochi? Either way, I don't think she'll leave the sport after having the worst SP of her life.

vCash
    Well, if they'd marked her correctly she could've been Olympic champion or been on the podium if she'd done a clean short. I agree, no one but a Russian was going to win it but I didn't want to write that in my first post. I think we all know the marks have been heavily skewed towards certain results. I also think she would've gotten higher marks if sh'ed skated later too. That sort of thing shouldn't matter with this system, but they've figured out how to work this system now.

vCash
    I also think she would've gotten higher marks if sh'ed skated later too. That sort of thing shouldn't matter with this system, but they've figured out how to work this system now.
    Very true. It still seems that start order matters despite the fact that one of the benefits of this system is supposed to be that it shouldn't.
    Last edited by Ilyich; 02-21-2014 at 02:24 PM.

vCash
    It was a dream come true to see her execute that program the way she did. The pressure was off, she had nothing to lose and she just let herself go and proved that she can skate an impossible program.

The results of these Olympics aren't even registering for me. I'm honestly over obsessing about medals, placements, etc. What matters most are the moments...and Mao's FS was an incredibly powerful moment. Both she and Carolina (and Adelina too) did what so many people swore up and down was absolutely impossible: they skated cleanly at the Olympics. I don't care about the results; the skating is why I'm so happy with the ladies event. So many great performances and Mao's FS is tied with Carolina's FS as my favorite moments of the event.

I'm so proud of her. I do think she was unfairly scored but rather than focus on what was wrong with the event, I have to focus on what was right b/c Mao's FS was SO right! Seeing her break down at the end...I had to stop myself from bursting into tears at my desk!

SO SO SO proud of her!

vCash
    Is Mao goign to worlds? I want her to end her career with a final wchampionship title

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    It was a dream come true to see her execute that program the way she did. The pressure was off, she had nothing to lose and she just let herself go and proved that she can skate an impossible program.

The results of these Olympics aren't even registering for me. I'm honestly over obsessing about medals, placements, etc. What matters most are the moments...and Mao's FS was an incredibly powerful moment. Both she and Carolina (and Adelina too) did what so many people swore up and down was absolutely impossible: they skated cleanly at the Olympics. I don't care about the results; the skating is why I'm so happy with the ladies event. So many great performances and Mao's FS is tied with Carolina's FS as my favorite moments of the event.

I'm so proud of her. I do think she was unfairly scored but rather than focus on what was wrong with the event, I have to focus on what was right b/c Mao's FS was SO right! Seeing her break down at the end...I had to stop myself from bursting into tears at my desk!

SO SO SO proud of her!
    ITA. Mao provided us with an amazing Olympic moment. One that we all will remember for the ages. That is better than a medal imo. For her fans, Vancouver left a bitter feeling, despite her silver medal. But this time, there is a sense of relief, happiness, and joy that she was able to skate the performance that she had wanted for all these years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveemoticons View Post
    I don't think so. Even if there were no Russian girls and Mao were clean in both programs, the judges would never have given it to her. Look at the way they downgraded her toe and loop without any justification. While the Yuna-Adelina controversy rages, nobody even mentions that Mao just skated a historic 8 triple free program and yet couldn't even win the free skate against skaters with 6 and 7 triples. The reason this is ignored is because Mao has been shafted by the judges so often throughout her entire career that everyone is basically densensitized to it already. It's impossible to point to any one instance of injustice because there are countless such incidents, so as a result nobody discusses any of them.
    That's a good observation. Why did Yuna compete here if she wasn't sure about getting gold? Was it to make sure Mao did not get hers? I'm sure Yuna's presence made Mao even more nervous,but that's my opinion.

vCash
    I fell in love with her skating the first time I saw her. The way she moves - everything is so organic and elegant. Nothing is forced.
    Her skating is a true expression of her soul.
    Everyone else pales in comparison. They are like trained seals doing tricks. (cept Akiko)
    Over the top, I know but I'm so sad for her.
    I'll get over it...maybe.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast