Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Sometimes it's hard as a Mao fan who doesn't speak Japanese. I love reading things that show her personality a bit more
    OK I'll translate the interviews ocasionally.

vCash
    This is a rather long interview aired on September 27. Supposedly Mao was interviewed on September 22(Sunday).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDxtYqm0Z2s

my translation from Japanese to English

0:16
    interviewer: We have something to give you. (to their crew)Please go ahead.
    Mao: What? Really? Ah!
    (a close shot to the birthday cake)
    int: Although it's a bit early, we heard your birthday is on September 25. Congratulations!
    Mao: Thank you.
    (naration: Her 23rd birthday is this Wendsday.)
    int: Turning 23 years old, what do you think?
    Mao: Ummm...Still early in my twenties. So there isn't big difference (between 22 and 23 yo) . hahaha
    int: When I was 22-23 years old, I also didn't see big difference....though...
    (telop: The interviewer is 25 years old.)
    Mao: When I turn 25 years old or so, I may feel that my thirties is coming soon.
    int: Yeessss, that's right. hehehe
    Mao: hahaha

1:06
    (narration: We're gonna reveal the real 23 yo Mao Asada!)
    Mao: I regard Sochi Olympics season as my final season.
    (narration: Sochi Olympics are her final ones. Her secret plan is related to her triple-jumps.)
    Mao: Eight times.
    int: It's so great that it can be listed in Guinness World Records.
    Mao: Hope I can make it.
    (narration: Her secret plan is to do 8 triple-jumps. If she make it, it will be in the Guiness World Records.)

1:43
    (playback of the video aired on April 1, 2010)
    MC1: It's rare to see Ms Asada in her private cloths.
    MC2: It's the first time for me.
    (narration: She mentioned about her thoughts on Sochi Olympics.)
    Mao: Sochi is coming in four years. I hope I can get more I can do. I want to assimilate worthwhile things for my skating.

2:18
    (narration: 3 years since then. Asada, who is 23 yo, says she regards Sochi Olympics as her final ones. To know her better, we asked her to devide the topics into two groups, "changed" and "unchanged" since Vancouver Olympics.)
    int: Are you ready?
    Mao: OK. Hummmmm.....I don't know...it's changed...
    int: You are kinda person who can decide things quickly!
    Mao: This is the first time for me to answer such questions. hehehe
    int: Oh, year?

3:00
    (naration: The first topic is off-time. She says she changed what she does on off days.)
    int: You changed your offs?
    Mao: On off days, I usually get up in the morning, go get a massage, have a lunch, go for a shopping around, go to bookstores and then come home.
    int: Oh, really ordinal off days. What do you buy, such as cloths?
    Mao: Recently I don't buy my cloths often. I often go to supermarkets.
    int: Oh?
    Mao: I buy such as bananas, yogurt...I eat them every morning...and bread. One of my hobbies is to go to bakeries.
    int: Do you like bread?
    Mao: Yes. I have bread almost every morning.
    int: In the morning you have bananas, yogurt, bread...
    Mao: And kinako(=soybean flour).
    int: Oh, kinako!
    Mao: Yeah, bananas with kinako (as topping).
    int: Bananas with kinako?
    Mao: Plus yogurt.
    int: Is it your own way to start your engine?
    Mao: It's said Bananas give us power. ...and easy to prepare in the morning. hehehe Cooking rice takes time. (side note: She prepares her breakfast by herself. Supposedly she lives alone.)

...to be continued

ETA:
    Many of Japanese TV programs are crappy. So DON'T take the narrations/telops serious. People inside the TV stations love to show their programs sensational. I wondered if it was better to skip translating narrations/telops, but I didn't because there were some possibilities to make you confused in getting the whole story if I skipped them. The facts and the points are told only in Mao's own words. You can skip reading the narrations/telops in the following translations if you don't want to be bothered by them.
    Last edited by rosewood; 10-14-2013 at 02:04 AM. Reason: for correction

vCash
    ...continued from my previous translation

4:20
    (narration: The next topic is her favorite food. She has not changed her favorite food. It's sushi.)
    interviewer: You have not changed your favorite food.
    Mao: Right.
    int: Such as, bread and bananas...
    Mao: I like everything.
    int: Oh, yeah?
    Mao: Right. Ah, there's one change. Now I can taste "wasabi".
    int: Oh, you are grown up! So you ate sushi without wasabi in those days around Vancouver Olympics. But now you eat sushi with wasabi.
    int; Are you happy with it?
    Mao: Yeah, I feel I'm grown up. hahaha
    int: hahaha
    (naration: Being Grown up, Asada goes to sushi bars alone.)(side note by me: In Japan eating at sushi bars alone is one of the signs that the person is independent. Funny but true in a sense. Maybe one of the main reasons is you have to order sushi one by one, face to face with the sushi chefs at the REAL sushi bars in Japan. The sushi chefs often DOES NOT look FRIENDLY. So you need communication skills there. And of course REAL sushi is so expensive. The story is pretty much different when you are at Sushi-go-rounds. You can be relaxed and it's cheep.)

5:15
    (playback of the video which shows Mao from her childfood to her announcement of the retirment.)
    (narration: Asada started figure skating at the age of 5.)
    Mao(around ten yo or so): I want to participate in Onympics.
    (narration: She won the Japan Nationals for the first time at her age of 16. In 2012 at Vancouver, she appeared at the Olympics that she dreamed of. She succeeded in nailing three clean 3As in one competition and it was listed in Guinness World Records. However, two mistakes costed her and the color of the medal she won was silver.)
    Mao: A bit...there left something to be regretted. However, it was good that I won a medal.
    (narration: Three years since the tears, Asada faces Sochi Olympics with a special thought.)
    Mao: At this point, I'm aiming at showing my final and the best performances at Sochi Olympics, the great stage.
    (narration: She faces Sochi Olympics which she determines as her final Olympics in her mind.)

6:45
    (narration: Asada says her jump techniques have been changed since Vancouver Olympics. The secret plan to win the gold medal is related to the triple-jumps.)
    interviewer: How many times do you do the triple-jumps (in your FP)?
    Mao: Eight times.
    int: Eigut times. It's so great that it can be listed in the Guines World Records.
    Mao: Ah? Oh, yeah. That's good. I'll try my best. Wish I can make it.
    (narration: Her secret plan is to make 8 triple-jumps in her FP. It's called "eight triples" and very difficult to be made in the ladies field. If she nails all of the eight-triples successfuly, it is the first brilliant achievement to be made in the ladies field.)
    int: Do you have something to work on with your jumps at this point?
    Mao: I've been working on my jumps. And I feel the good response at last. Now I think I've almost finished the things to be fixed. The things I should do from now on is to pill up the training using the new techniques attentively.
    int: What is the key to make the eight-triples?
    Mao: After all, the opening jump.
    int: The 3A.
    (narration: The key to make the eight-triples is the 3A, the opening jump.)

...to be continued
    Last edited by rosewood; 10-15-2013 at 01:24 AM. Reason: for correction

vCash
    ...continued from my previous translation

8:40
    (narration: The next topic is her thoughts on figure skating. She says there has been a change.)
    interviewer: Your thoughts on figure skating have changed as well?
    Mao: I regards Sochi Olympics as my final Olympics. So I'm feeling things are different a bit. At Vancouver Olympics I tried my best aiming at the gold medal. But looking back over the Olympics after finishing them, I noticed I had been disappointed by my own two mistakes more than the color of the medal. I felt "Ah, I used to mention to the gold medal at that time but my performance itself was very frustrating for me after all." So I want Sochi Olympics to be satisfable...without anything frustrating...Ummm...No,I'm not frustrated about Vancouver Olympics....(looking for better words which fit her feeling)....I want to feel "I've accomplished everything" at Sochi.

End

vCash
    Thank you so much again rosewood

It seems like Mao is in a good place going towards this Olympics.

vCash
    Such a delightful and classy young lady.

Rosewood thank you so much for providing the translation

vCash
    OMG! The video, which I translated above, was pulled down by the youtube user. The possibilities are ....1)attacked by trolls 2)reported to youtube by the TV station and the user pulled it down to protect his/her youtube account 3)reported to youtube by someone who is not happy with Mao's videos on youtube, under the name of the TV station and the user pulled it down to protect his/her youtube account ...or other smaller possibilities. I've seen chronicle of those cases.

BTW, copyrights of the TV stations are strictly protected in Japan. The term "fair use" is not a global term yet. from wiki:
    Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders.
    There isn't any law refering to "fair use" in Japan so it's more difficult for figure skating fans in Japan to put the figure skating videos, which were aired by Japanese TV stations, on youtube.

vCash
    OK I translate an article about Mao's ballet lessons instead of fragile youtube videos.

Ochi International Ballet Academy is where Mao used to take lessons at the age of from three to twelve. This article says she started taking ballet lessons there again since last year.

http://balletnavi.jp/article/pickup/20131008-2289/

Q: BTW, Ochi IBA is also famous as the ballet school where Mao Asada, a figure skater, used to take lessons.

Kumiko Ochi(the prima ballerina): Mao Asada took lessons in our school for ten years, from her age of three to twelve. She was a very hard worker. I'm happy with her success as a figure skater. She loves ballet so much. We had a unexpected call from her like "It's Mao". She said she wanted to take lessons here again. Now Wadim teaches her regularly. I feel she still loves ballet very much

BTW Sato Pharmaceutical co. is one of Mao's sponsors. She appears at the TV ad of their cold medicene "Stona". You can see the ad-videos and making of the videos here.And the company opened Mao cheer site. http://www.stona.jp/message/ You can send your cheering messages for Mao here. 1)write your name(nickname is ok) 2)choose one of them (choose whatever you like since these are names of prefectures in Japan, and there isn't the choice of "abroad") 3)write your messages(limited number of the characters is 100)

P.S.
    I found a funny video on youtube which has nothing to do with copyright troubles. This youtube user is popular because he's done many "off ice figure skating" and put them on youtube. This is his off ice figure skating video of Mao's Rach 2.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhBkITxHXSo
    Last edited by rosewood; 10-16-2013 at 02:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    OMG! The video, which I translated above, was pulled down by the youtube user. The possibilities are ....1)attacked by trolls 2)reported to youtube by the TV station and the user pulled it down to protect his/her youtube account 3)reported to youtube by someone who is not happy with Mao's videos on youtube, under the name of the TV station and the user pulled it down to protect his/her youtube account ...or other smaller possibilities. I've seen chronicle of those cases.
    Don't be worried, it happens very often and has happened for years.... and yet people keep on uploading the videos to Youtube. I just learned to save the videos to my HD as soon as they are uploaded, just in case they disappear.

Ochi International Ballet Academy is where Mao used to take lessons at the age of from three to twelve. This article says she started taking ballet lessons there again since last year.

http://balletnavi.jp/article/pickup/20131008-2289/

Q: BTW, Ochi IBA is also famous as the ballet school where Mao Asada, a figure skater, used to take lessons.

Kumiko Ochi(the prima ballerina): Mao Asada took lessons in our school for ten years, from her age of three to twelve. She was a very hard worker. I'm happy with her success as a figure skater. She loves ballet so much. We had a unexpected call from her like "It's Mao". She said she wanted to take lessons here again. Now Wadim teaches her regularly. I feel she still loves ballet very much.
    Thanks for the news! I'm happy Mao went back to her old ballet school. SHe always seemed very fond of ballet and ballet music, but since she became a skater she took ballet classes mostly off-season and in foreign countries. It's great she can practice in Japan now.

And:
    We had a unexpected call from her like "It's Mao".
    That's very Mao!

vCash
    According to Sportshochi's article (in Japanese), Mao trained in DDC yesterday and didn't appear at the official practice. Her coach, Nobuo Sato, says she nailed 3As there and she's in the best ever condition at this early stage of the season in these years.
    http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/wi...OHT1T00024.htm

BTW I saw Mao's fans chatting that they presume her costume of Rach2 was designed with an inspiration from her mom's favorite flower, knapweed. It's still a rumor but if so, what a memorable costume for Mao. She said in the interview after JO that it is the costume like her inner power is coming out of her body. I remembered the conversation, which I read in an article, between Yamada, her former coach, and Mao after Kyoko's death:
    Yamada: Your mom lives inside of you.
    Mao: Ah, so I'm momao now! (mom+Mao=momao or mamma+Mao=mamao)
    Momao is a very Mao word.

knapweed:
    http://bikkuri-bentou.cocolog-nifty....6/cimg3966.jpg
    http://pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/200805/22...5_20252117.jpg
    http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/...4421344QHk.jpg
    Last edited by rosewood; 10-18-2013 at 05:33 AM.

vCash
    Mao is the first lady ever to win gold in all six Grand Prix events.
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/10/20/63199448
    Asada's win here made her the first woman to win gold in all six Grand Prix events.
    According to this article (sorry in Japanese) Mao is the first skater to win gold in all GP events in singles field(men and ladies conbined). YAY
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000017-mai-spo

Via Duppio Axel's facebook. The photo is just gorgeous!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

vCash

MAO ASADA PUSHING SKATING'S BOUNDARIES

By Melissa Isaacson | Oct 20, 2013
    espnW.com

"The triple axel is something that's so exciting to happen in figure skating and I really I can't wait to see the day where it's not just the triple-triple that's required to be competitive but the triple axel," Wagner said. "Having women like Mao setting the tone in that way is quite extraordinary. She's pushing the boundaries of skating, and it's up to us whether or not we're going to keep up with her."
    http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commen...-ashley-wagner
    Last edited by rosewood; 10-21-2013 at 07:54 AM.

vCash
    I've decided if I could have one wish for this Olympic season, it is to see Mao skate both short and long clean at the Olympics. A lot to ask, but I just find her and her programs this season to be brilliant.

vCash
    I attended Skate America. Mao and D/W's skating was on a different planet then any one else. I would love to see her win the OGM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thanks for the translations. Mao and Dai look so sharp in those suits.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Press conference report after ladies FS by Nikkansports published on October 21:

my rough translation from Japanese

--You won gold in all the six grandprix events
    Asada: Very happy achievement in my life as a skater. This leads me to the next.

--You got over 200 scores at the very early stage of the season
    Asada: I got the scores which I should have gotten for my sipins and steps. I've improved my skating skills since Vancouver Olympics and now I have all kinds of jumps in my program. I'm satisfied with the scores I was given for my performance (with those mistakes).

--Tell us about what you got and what was left.
    Asada: About what I got, I got Lv4 for all my spins and steps. The only one thing left was my jumps.

--You fell on your 3A.
    Asada: I had a better feeling than in SP when I jumped, so I tried to land on one foot but I fell. I lost my rhythm with that hard fall. If I could have nailed it, the story was different.(I could show better skating in the later part.)

--You made a good start in the Olympic season.
    Asada: I haven't shown any big melt down in this season so far. This is the bottom line and I can go up as the season progresses. I feel I can aim at higher level.

Other Articles:

Mao Asada clinches Skate America women’s title by associated press
    “I am not completely satisfied with my performance today,” Asada said, through a translator. “This was a learning experience.”
    According to Nikkansports(sorry in Japanese):
    Mao achieved 12th winning of GP events including GPFs and it made her the skater who won the most GP events of all the Japanese skaters ever.
    Last edited by rosewood; 10-23-2013 at 07:29 AM. Reason: for correction

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Mao is the first lady ever to win gold in all six Grand Prix events.
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/10/20/63199448

According to this article (sorry in Japanese) Mao is the first skater to win gold in all GP events in singles field(men and ladies conbined). YAY
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000017-mai-spo

Via Duppio Axel's facebook. The photo is just gorgeous!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    A big congratulation to Mao for being the first skater in singles discipline, to win all 6 of the current events on the Grand Prix circuit

The photo you have posted, is absolutely stunning
    Last edited by Amy03; 10-23-2013 at 07:09 PM.

vCash
    My rough translation of Nikkansports' recap of SA. Seemingly Mao got damage from the fall on 3A and her feet got weak in the later part of her long program.

Won even with a fall / The strongest Asada ever

It made people around her flustered. Asada faltered at the center of the podium. She tottered unexpectedly after hugging the bronze medalist Radionova with her upper body bent down. She was propped up with the silver medalist Wagner's arm with an embarrassed smile. Seemingly her feet were weak and shaking.

She got big damage when she fell down on her opening 3A. "I felt better than yesterday when I jumped up. So I tried to land on one foot but lost my balance." She lost her stamina with the damage from the hard fall. "My feet got weak in the second half." She chose to do doubles instead of planed triples. However, her strength was highlighted in the difficulty.

She got Lv4 for all her spins and steps. She managed to get into the melody even though her feet got weak. And she made the steps at the end of the program. The OMG face she showed after finishing her program seemed somewhat composed. First of all her program contains super difficult elements. "I wonder how she tries this difficult program”, says her coach Kumiko Sato. Her private best record of PCS(which shows such as skater's skating skills) she got with her stamina run out indicated her evolution.

Nine seasons since she made her debut in 2005, she made GPS grand slam that no one had achieved. "Very happy achievement in my life as a skater." She set a milestone in the figure skating world in the season she regards as her final one. And aside from it, she got some improvements. Now she is a strong skater without depending on her 3As she use to in her teens.
    Last edited by rosewood; 10-25-2013 at 12:47 AM. Reason: for correction

vCash
    Congratulations Mao! I hope even better things are yet to come.

vCash
    Sponichi reported Mao flew back in Japan on October 24. After SA she stayed in Tronto to brush up her Nocturne with Lori Nichol. According to the article the brush up was mainly focused on the artistic side. Also she has a plan to brush up her Rach 2 after NHK Trophy.

photo
    http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...006875410.html

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast