vCash

artistic programs - jumps

Good evening people.

What I would like to know, is how many skaters do their artistic programs with no jumps that are as high as their test level, just the easier ones?

vCash
    From what I've seen, verrrrrrrry few people do any jumps in them.
    I did a double axel in all mine though lol.

vCash
    Depends on the rules. Obersdorf has specific rules about the maximum number of jump and spins allowed. Can't remember what they are. However the Obersdorf announcement currently is not on the ISU website.

In Australia here are rules for Artistic - http://www.isa.org.au/Documents/Tech...-%20Update.pdf
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Until I looked up the requirements the other day for artistic, I thought I would have to re-learn all the jumps before I could even think about any future competing. I'm still not sure I would want to compete, but at least now it won't take an eternity to have the possibility of doing it.

vCash
    I don't know about the US, but in Canada, nearly every artistic program I've seen has at least one jump - and as spaz says, there are restrictions by level on what kinds of jumps you can do and how many. It's kind of annoying IME because artistic programs are supposed to be about everything but jumps, but it seems that the judges ding you for not having enough content if you don't do any.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I've done one artistic program -- last winter. I did one jump (salchow) and one spin. It was a combined bronze/silver event, the one silver-level entrant won, and I came in second, ahead of all the other bronze-level skaters.

So jumps aren't always important. I think the skating content and quality, and how well it interprets the music and theme of the program, can outweigh jumps.

But it might depend what the judges on the panel happen to care most about. I don't think there's much consistency in judging artistic events.

vCash
    I've seen a number of artistic programs without jumps; they usually have some- but a big beautiful waltz jump timed nicely with the music should get you more points than a random triple axel just thrown in to prove you can do it (you can? wow! haha). In general, the way to win is to pick a theme that is going to entertain the judges.

vCash
    Thanks for the responses - it helps a lot. I guess I should start learning to be more expressive now and less inhibited moving to music... that will be my biggest challenge.