vCash

Skating to Romeo & Juliet (Theme from the 1968 Film)

Romeo & Juliet (Theme from the 1968 film) by Nino Rota has been an occasional choice of music for constructing a program around, and Yuzuru Hanyu has chosen it for his new free program. Here are some snippets from it. Can't wait to see the full version in competition for the first time at the Finlandia Trophy and Skate Canada.

In the meantime, which is your favourite Romeo & Juliet (Nino Rota) program and why? Please provide a video link if possible.

Here are some of my favourites:-

Sasha Cohen - 2005/06 Free Program (2006 U.S. Nationals)

Julia Lipnitskaya - 2011/12 Free Program (2012 Junior World Championships)

Vasilisa Davankova & Andrei Deputat - 2011/12 Long Program (2012 Junior World Championships)

Takahiko Kozuka - 2008/09 Free Program (2009 World Championships)

Ekaterina Pushkash & Jonathan Guerreiro - 2009/10 Free Dance (2009 JGP Dresden)

Takeshi Honda - 2003/04 & 2005/06 Short Program (2003 Skate Canada)

Stéphane Lambiel - 2007/08 Exhibition (2008 World Championships)

My favourite? Sasha Cohen's. If she had skated that program clean and to its full potential at the 2006 Olympics, then there was absolutely no way any of the competition that night would have beaten her. The Olympic gold medal would have been hers. Sadly, it was not clean, and this is how it turned out.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 09-25-2013 at 03:50 AM.

vCash
    I also liked Kristi Yamaguchi's pro routine to this. Also a part of Kristi & Rudy's LP in 1989 was skated to this (they started with Tchaikovsky, then Nino Rota, then back to Tchaikovsky)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I also liked Kristi Yamaguchi's pro routine to this.
    Me too. It was her artistic program from the 1993 World Professional Championships.

Also a part of Kristi & Rudy's LP in 1989 was skated to this (they started with Tchaikovsky, then Nino Rota, then back to Tchaikovsky)
    Sarah Hecken did something similar with her 2009/10 short program. She meshed in part of Rota's Romeo & Juliet with Tchaikovsky's and Prokofiev's
    Last edited by Maofan7; 09-25-2013 at 01:31 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    Romeo & Juliet (Theme from the 1968 film) by Nino Rota has been an occasional choice of music for constructing a program around, and Yuzuru Hanyu has chosen it for his new free program. Here are some snippets from it. Can't wait to see the full version in competition for the first time at the Finlandia Trophy and Skate Canada.

In the meantime, which is your favourite Romeo & Juliet (Nino Rota) program and why? Please provide a video link if possible.

Here are some of my favourites:-

Sasha Cohen - 2005/06 Free Program (2006 U.S. Nationals)

Julia Lipnitskaya - 2011/12 Free Program (2012 Junior World Championships)

Vasilisa Davankova & Andrei Deputat - 2011/12 Long Program (2012 Junior World Championships)

Takahiko Kozuka - 2008/09 Free Program (2009 World Championships)

Ekaterina Pushkash & Jonathan Guerreiro - 2009/10 Free Dance (2009 JGP Dresden)

Takeshi Honda - 2003/04 & 2005/06 Short Program (2003 Skate Canada)

Stéphane Lambiel - 2007/08 Exhibition (2008 World Championships)

My favourite? Sasha Cohen's. If she had skated that program clean and to its full potential at the 2006 Olympics, then there was absolutely no way any of the competition that night would have beaten her. The Olympic gold medal would have been hers. Sadly, it was not clean, and this is how it turned out.
    I agree. I think it was Sandra Bezic who said that many people skate to Romeo & Juliet but Sasha was Juliet. I have no doubt clean Sasha would have won the Gold medal and it would have been one of the unforgettable moments in Olympic history instead of Arakawa's rather forgettable conservative skate.

vCash
    I actually prefer Sasha's Olympic performance over her Nationals one. Yeah, she made two huge errors in the beginning, but all of her jumps were scratchy at that Nationals performance and she didn't seem as committed to it. At the Olympics, she skated much freer and genuine than I had ever seen her skate. Before that performance, I never really enjoyed Sasha's skating fully because I always thought she had this vacant, dead behind the eyes look and was almost mechanical. She hit great positions and had excellent flexibility and speed in her spins, but I never found her musicality convincing or at least it lacked depth for me. That really changed at that one Olympic performance for me.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Totmianina-Marinin skated to Romeo & Juliet at the 2006 OLy, but I am not sure if this is the Nino Rota version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHxr-zsNEPg

vCash
    Totmianina-Marinin skated to Romeo & Juliet at the 2006 OLy, but I am not sure if this is the Nino Rota version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHxr-zsNEPg
    It is the Rota version. The superb arrangement is by Edvin Marton

vCash

vCash
    I agree with those whom chose Sasha.

And I love the reasons why (memories). Sandra Bezic was right on the money ~ everybody else skates to R&J, but Sasha is Juliet! I cry practically every time I see that performance, but nothing compares to the first time I saw her skate it at the Olympics. After she fell on the first two jumps, then came the slow part, and the look on her face as she reached up to the heavens just made me an emotional wreck. That's the first time I can say Sasha ever really touched me to the core of my soul/being. Therefore, I say that's her signature performance, she was Juliet. *bow*