U.S. Team Envelope envelope criteria revised for 2014-15 season

http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=350

Revisions include:

TEAM B - TIER 2
    Placements 4th - 6th at the 2014 Four Continents Championships

TEAM C - TIER 1
    2014 U.S. Junior Champion

TEAM C - TIER 2
    Placements 8th in the senior events at the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships
    Placements 2nd - 3rd in the junior events at the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships

A new "Team D" (Developmental) envelope has been added below C:
    TEAM D - TIER 1
    Placements 4th - 6th in the junior events at the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships
    TEAM D - TIER 1
    Placements 1st - 3rd in the novice events at the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-24-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Any idea why Junior 4 & 5, and Novice 1-3 got dropped from Envelope C to Envelope Developmental, and how that will affect funding?

vCash
    I suspect "Developmental" funding will see some funding but obviously less than the C envelope. USFS is operating on a shoe string budget, and quite frankly, has done little to bring in the funds to support their athletes. They especially depend on the USOC to support the A envelope athletes. They need to market the sport, go after more corporate sponsors. Think outside the box, or make that, think outside the rink. But, this is an old topic. :-(

vCash
    How much do these athletes get anyways? Is this public information?

vCash
    Based on my application of the criteria linked from post #1...

TEAM A - TIER 1
    Abbott, Gold; Castelli/Shnapir; Davis/White, Chock/Bates.

TEAM A - TIER 2
    Brown, Aaron;
    Edmunds, Wagner;
    Shibutani/Shibutani, Hubbell/Donohue.

TEAM B - TIER 1
    Farris;
    Nagasu;
    Zhang/Bartholomay, Denney/Coughlin, Scimeca/Knierim, Kayne/O'Shea;
    Aldridge/Eaton.

TEAM B - TIER 2
    Dornbush, Rippon;
    Cesario, Hicks;
    Denney/Frazier, Donlan/Speroff;
    Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt, Cannuscio/McManus, Hawayek/Baker.

TEAM C - TIER 1
    Razzano, Miner, N. Chen;
    Long, Glenn, K. Chen;
    Leng/LeDuc, Aaron/Settlage;
    McNamara/Carpenter.

TEAM C - TIER 2
    Carriere, Moeller, Ma, Omori;
    Gao, Cain, Bell, Baga, Wang, Pierce, Shin;
    Calalang/Sidhu, Liu/Perini, Pearce/Pacini, Budd/Cheban (both are listed on icepartnersearch.com), Takai/Johnson;
    Olson/Lorello, Parsons/Parsons, Moore/Klaber.

TEAM D - TIER 1
    Belmontes, Vrdoljak, Shum;
    Tennell, Taylor, Lin;
    Middleton/Evans (she is listed on icepartnersearch.com), de la Mora/Wilson, Oltmanns/Santillan;
    Pogrebinsky/Gudis, Lewis/Bye.

TEAM D - TIER 1 (USFS site says Tier 1, not 2)
    Borromeo, Sjoberg, West;
    Le, Rydberg, Peng;
    Setoyama/Botero, Gillett/Fernandez, Lee/Hennings;
    Becker/Becker, Gropman/Somerville, Feng/Ponomarenko.

This UNOFFICIAL compilation does not include retirements and/or splits that are not yet official or publicly announced.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-01-2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: To make various corrections/additions :)
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I know these are only projections right now. But if someone in Envelope A retires (say, Abbott or D/W), would someone from Envelope B automatically move up to A, or no?

vCash
    No.

vCash
    2014-15 International Selection Pool (ISP) list has been published: https://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=447

Davis/White and Abbott currently are listed; Donlan/Speroff are not, which seems to indicate they have split.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-04-2014 at 08:47 PM.

vCash
    Missing from ISP: Baga, Siraj, C. Zhang. I assumed this means they've retired.
    Also don't see Alexander Johnson.

vCash
    Skaters still can be added to the ISP after being monitored.

Johnson did not compete at 2014 Nationals due to injury but is training, I believe (ETA: he tweeted a video clip of himself landing a 3A on his "road to recovery" in March).

Siraj and C. Zhang placed below 15th at Nationals (doesn't mean either has retired). Baga placed 14th at Nationals and is eligible for the C2 team envelope due to her silver medal at Coupe de Nice last fall, so I'm not sure why she wasn't listed in the ISP.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-04-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    In Ice Dance, the Beckers are not listed either. Are they staying Novice? Or have they quit?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSB View Post
    In Ice Dance, the Beckers are not listed either.
    She is 12 and still too young for the JGP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    I know these are only projections right now. But if someone in Envelope A retires (say, Abbott or D/W), would someone from Envelope B automatically move up to A, or no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    No.

vCash
    I just noticed Christina Gao is down in level C, Tier 2, below Amber Glenn and Karen Chen. :-( Is that typical? I know she may not even continue, but still, not exactly encouraging.

Title-less
    vCash
    She finally broke the fifth place curse but with a lower placement Plus no medal at the grand prix

vCash
    Do we have any idea approximately how much $ is in these various envelopes? Just curious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren329 View Post
    Do we have any idea approximately how much $ is in these various envelopes? Just curious.
    I'm very curious too. I wonder if the Team A - Tier 1 money is enough to cover at least 50% of an elite skaters expenses for a season.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redfiretrees View Post
    I'm very curious too. I wonder if the Team A - Tier 1 money is enough to cover at least 50% of an elite skaters expenses for a season.
    I would doubt it. If I remember correctly there was a time when the funding of the envelopes was a published figure (perhaps as far back as the Kwan/Cohen days), and I doubt it would have covered 50% even back then. And if I am not mistaken, funding decreased (or at least the way envelopes are funded) changed quite a bit post-Torino. Maybe Syliva, or some other well connected people can recall better then I do however?
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redfiretrees View Post
    Doubt if it covers more than about 20%.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
    Doubt if it covers more than about 20%.
    how are skaters in team B and lower expected to want to continue to skate then?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast