Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Bebe Liang- what held back this very talented and high potential skater

I was a big fan of Bebe Liang back when she skated. What held her back from being a great skater. It looks to me like she had it all- huge jumps, great fast spins, good skating and agressive choreography. Even when she skated really good like the 2005 Nationals short program at a low time for U.S women she still didnt get good marks or placements though.

vCash
    IIRC she had some injuries. After she came back, she was not as good as she had been in the past. She was making too many mistakes. Later COP happened.

vCash
    Consistency is what held her back at first.

Although she was a bright light in a really crappy ladies event at 2005 US nationals, I remember her not doing all the difficult jumps because of an injury. Am I remembering incorrectly?

vCash
    Here's her short program from 2005 US Nationals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVtPNFYYso8
    Last edited by skateboy; 09-23-2013 at 06:49 AM.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    The long program isn't from nationals. Looks like 4 Continents?

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    I remember at the time of 2005 Nationals, when she was coached by Christy Ness, back at the home rink, my instructor (who I believe may have assisted as well) was really mad. She did go ahead and say that the judges put her below a certain cutesy, skinny skater because of her "look". And that instructor was kind of a cutesy, skinny girl herself. I actually came to the rink that day thinking the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    I remember at the time of 2005 Nationals, when she was coached by Christy Ness, back at the home rink, my instructor (who I believe may have assisted as well) was really mad. She did go ahead and say that the judges put her below a certain cutesy, skinny skater because of her "look". And that instructor was kind of a cutesy, skinny girl herself. I actually came to the rink that day thinking the same thing.
    I would have definitely had Liang over 4th place finisher Jenny Kirk. I wouldn't have placed Liang over Meissner though, even if it was really popular to hate on Kimmie back in 2005. Regardless all Liang needed was to finish 4th to go to worlds and she certainly deserved to place that high.

vCash
    Her body changed too and she fell a lot. It's a shame that she couldn't figure out how to deliver consistently, or even more consistently, because she was such a firecracker - I always looked forward to her and rooted for her. She was fast, noticeable, and memorable. I would love it if she could translate her gifts into choreography. (I know she has been involved in YAS.) I thought it would be cool if she would choreograph for Mirai - I seem to recall they are friends.

vCash
    She was always a favorite of mine, she had the musicality, the attack and the power, and she was never generic. She was never that consistent in her later years, and under COP she didn't always maintain the highest levels or base value . But what she did do was usually of very high quality, and that wasn't always reflected in the scores. I guess she never had a long enough run that the skating community considered her a serious contender. I would say she was a better skater than she was a competitor.

vCash
    She should've been ahead of Kirk and Meissner after the SP. Those scores were ridiculously low considering the speed, excitement, and preciseness of the elements all done well with no major mandatory deductions. The presentation was interesting as well..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I would have definitely had Liang over 4th place finisher Jenny Kirk. I wouldn't have placed Liang over Meissner though, even if it was really popular to hate on Kimmie back in 2005. Regardless all Liang needed was to finish 4th to go to worlds and she certainly deserved to place that high.
    Her short program should have easily crushed Meissner's though. When you look at the two it is hard not to laugh at Meissner's placing higher. I can see Meissner placing over in the LP due to the triple axel I guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodance2001 View Post
    She should've been ahead of Kirk and Meissner after the SP. Those scores were ridiculously low considering the speed, excitement, and preciseness of the elements all done well with no major mandatory deductions. The presentation was interesting as well..
    I thought in many ways her short program was the best of all the women, even Kwan and Cohen. She should have easily placed atleast 3rd in the short. To be behind Kirk and Meissner shows she was out of favor by then, and the USFSA was already pushing Meissner hard similar to how they are Gold today. All 8 of Meissner's elements were weaker in the short, and everything about her performance was.

vCash
    I loved her - she was a great little tomboy skater. Don't know what the hell happened after 04. She came back that season with her hair in a cliched bun, braces gone and glitzy dresses. It looked like they tried to soften up her skating too. I knew of her injuries, but they turned her into another Stepford skater.

vCash
    shame indeed that she didn't achieve greater things ....

oh well, at least she made the world team once and finished in 10th place there ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Here's her short program from 2005 US Nationals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVtPNFYYso8
    That was amazing. 5.9 technical and 5.9 presentation I would give. 1st place. Terrible scores. Terrible judges. Rotten sport sometimes.

vCash
    Thanks for starting this thread, my first thought was "Aha! Now I know the name of the skater that reminded me of one of the female skaters that skated at SLC last weekend".

Bebe Liang, though I thought for some reason her nickname was "Mighty Mite"?

I remember following her career from when she was a junior where she was the tiniest skater on the ice to when her body changed and she was this powerhouse at seniors! I always rooted for her because of her powerful jumps and determination, alas she fell by the wayside as so very many have done before her because of mental toughness issues.

Btw, I was delighted to find out she was Mirai's new coach/choreographer because of her work as the latter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I thought in many ways her short program was the best of all the women, even Kwan and Cohen. She should have easily placed atleast 3rd in the short. To be behind Kirk and Meissner shows she was out of favor by then, and the USFSA was already pushing Meissner hard similar to how they are Gold today. All 8 of Meissner's elements were weaker in the short, and everything about her performance was.
    You know what? I was thinking of stating this very thing but then thinking I would be chastised.. I completely agree.. Kwan's combo was slow and she was off timing on her spiral to miss the crescendo; Cohen was ok, but also with the hand down and slow.. Bebe's SP was the best of the event that year and was mired down with 5.2'ish marks.. RIDICULOUS..

vCash
    Bebe was a wonderful skater. Fast, very powerful, huge jumps, great spins, great, energy, lovely musicality and a wonderful ability to performance and capture a crowd. Bebe was an excellent all-around skater.

Her nerves are what held her back. She'd get out there and over-think and end up making mistakes. I remember hearing about her practice reports and how they said she was always "on" at practices, nailing all of her jumps...but she could never put it on competition ice. Shame b/c she was an amazing skater.

It just goes to show that just b/c the talent is there doesn't mean you can be a champion. Everything has to come together at the right time and, unfortunately for Bebe, it never did.
    Last edited by kwanatic; 09-23-2013 at 04:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Bebe was a wonderful skater. Fast, very powerful, huge jumps, great spins, great, energy, lovely musicality and a wonderful ability to performance and capture a crowd. Bebe was an excellent all-around skater.

Her nerves are what held her back. She'd get out there and over-think and end up making mistakes. I remember hearing about her practice reports and how they said she was always "on" at practices, nailing all of her jumps...but she could never put it on competition ice. Shame b/c she was an amazing skater.

It just goes to show that just b/c the talent is there doesn't mean you can be a champion. Everything has to come together at the right time and, unfortunately for Bebe, it never did.

What about the times she did skate really well though, like the 2005 Nationals short program. We all seem to agree she was way underscored there, and she did put it together. So even when she skated great she didnt get the marks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Btw, I was delighted to find out she was Mirai's new coach/choreographer because of her work as the latter.
    Wait, she IS Mirai's choreographer? Fantastic! Cant wait to see their work at Finlandia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast