Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Hmmm thanks for that. So it seems that the Harding book (which had numerous inaccurate facts) was completely wrong in their claim Harding had a clean short program. What was funny was the book also quoted Harding as after the short program as saying "both Erika and I thought we were gyped, the rest fell on their butts." That doesnt imply she had skated cleanly neccessarily though. Based on Ivanova, the #3 Ukranian skater who would place outside the top 20 in Lillehammer, finishing 2nd in the short, I presume it must have been an extremely messy short program there (and Tonya must have skated poorly as well). Perhaps she was upset lots of people had made mistakes, yet she was dumped below many of the others for similar mistakes? Bonaly and Chen were reigning World medalists and above her stature wise at that point though, so would be more likely to be forgiven a big short program miss than she was by then.

Then the long program she might have felt she skated well and was upset she was only 4th in that phase itself. Then again if she did the long program she did at Nationals she would have had only 5 triples, no triple combinations of any kind, and that sort of program is easily beatable even skated well by the Worlds contenders around then (unless it were skated by Baiul of course). Plus being 7th in the short she wasnt even skating in the final flight of NHK.

Still I guess it was the frusteration of that event, and the subtle signals she was viewed as not amongst the real contenders for Lillehammer- Kerrigan, Baiul, Chen, Sato, Bonaly, that led her to a rage and what would soon follow.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    BTW, does anyone know who the girl is that cut Tonya off and caused Tonya to say "Not smart!"? I wonder if she feared for her life after that.
    That was Lisa Ervin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    I know it's getting a little off what the original topic was, but I was just reminded of this practice clip of Tonya doing amazing triple axels at 94 Nationals practices;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYViHpq1KTs

Again, Tonya doesn't look as fit as SA or the Olympics, but her triple axels (and the rest of her jumps) were so spot on here. I wonder what happened that caused Tonya to lose the triple axel in competition, because she singled it here in the FS despite doing some of the best ones ever in practice, and I've seen practice and warm up vids from 92 also where she clearly had it under control but would take huge spills in the competition skate.

It wasn't like she lost the jump, something just happened to the jump in competition. The ankle thing would explain 92 Nats I guess, but the rest of the time it seemed like something would happen to the timing and she wouldn't even come close to landing it. The axels in this vid just came so easily.

BTW, does anyone know who the girl is that cut Tonya off and caused Tonya to say "Not smart!"? I wonder if she feared for her life after that.
    I'm not sure what happened to her timing of her 3A either. She would tilt in the air on that jump and if her timing was off even a fraction she was going down. I guess it was just hit or miss in terms of practice. What is more disturbing though is she didn't even attempt combinations anymore in competitions in her LPs. Other than Baiul all the top skaters were attempting a second Lutz and/or combos or series at this time. We know Harding was one of the best athlethes in the sport, so why she watered down her content in competition at this time is also baffling.

vCash

vCash

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123