Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Retrospective: The 1993 World Championships

Retrospective returns and moves onto the 1993 World Championships.

The key facts in relation to these championships are:-

• Kurt Browning regains the world title that he had lost the previous season. He had been hampered throughout the 1991/92 season with a back injury. He competed in only 1 major event prior to Worlds, Canadian Nationals, which he won. Moreover, his main competition for the World title was expected to come from his compatriot, Elvis Stojko, whom he had only narrowly beaten at Nationals. Nevertheless, Browning led after the short program and went on to retake the title by winning the free skate, earning one 6.0 for artistic impression (from the French judge) in the process for his Casablanca long program. Stojko took the silver medal.

• Oksana Baiul had made a sensational international debut a few weeks earlier by finishing 2nd to Surya Bonaly at the European Championships. However, she reversed the result at the World Championships by beating Bonaly into 2nd place to take the World title. Prior to the competition, she had displaced disks in her back and neck when crashing into the boards during a pre-competition meeting with Katarina Witt. The blades on her skates were also crooked and it was too late to change to a new pair of skates, which Viktor Petrenko had bought her. Nevertheless, she decided to compete anyway. Bonaly and Nancy Kerrigan were the pre-competition favourites for the title. Kerrigan led after the short program, with Baiul 2nd and Bonaly 3rd. However, Kerrigan suffered a complete melt down during the free skate (finishing a lowly 9th in that section, to drop to 5th overall) and Baiul went on to win both the long program and the title with an excellent free skate (the only blemish being the lack of a combination, although she had produced a superb 3Z+2R combination in the SP). Bonaly finished 2nd overall and Chen Lu took the bronze medal.

• With Natalia Mishkutenok and Artur Dmitriev having retired, Isabelle Brasseur & Lloyd Eisler win the pairs competition, winning both the short and long programs decisively in the process.

• The ice dance competition came down to a battle between 2 couples who would go on to become one of the fiercest rivals in figure skating history - Maya Usova & Alexander Zhulin, and Oksana Grishuk & Evgeni Platov. As a result of tensions between Grishuk and Usova, Grishuk left coach, Natalia Dubova's, group in 1992. Platov acquired a new partner, whilst Grishuk attempted to find a new one in Germany, before returning to her previous coach, Natalia Linichuk. Platov then decided to re-team with Grishuk in the Autumn of 1992, and they were then coached by Natalia Linichuk. Usova & Zhulin would go on to win the 1993 World title comfortably, winning every section of the competition (both compulsory dances, the original dance, and the free dance). However, the tide well and truly turned the following season, with Grishuk & Platov winning both the Olympic and World titles. Grishuk & Platov would go on to win 20 consecutive competitions between 1994 and 1998, including a 2nd Olympic title.

• A qualifying round was held at Worlds for the first time in the singles competitions in which the top 12 from each of the 2 qualifying groups would advance to the short program (then known as the technical program).

Here are the videos for the medal winning performances:-

MEN'S

Gold: Kurt Browning (Can)

Short Program, Free Skate, Exhibition 1, Exhibition 2, Profile

Silver: Elvis Stojko (Can)

Short Program, Free Skate

Bronze: Alexei Urmanov (Russia)

Short Program, Free Skate, Exhibition

4th: Mark Mitchell (USA)

Short Program, Free Skate,

5th: Philippe Candeloro (France)

Free Skate

6th: Scott Davis (USA)

Free Skate

7th: Éric Millot (France)

8th: Masakazu Kagiyama (Japan)

Free Skate

10th: Marcus Christensen (Can)

11th: Oleg Tataurov (Russia)

Free Skate

LADIES

Gold: Oksana Baiul (Ukraine)

Short Program, Free Skate, Exhibition

Silver: Surya Bonaly (France)

Short Program, Free Skate,

Bronze: Chen Lu (China)

Free Skate

4th: Yuka Sato (Japan)

Free Skate

5th: Nancy Kerrigan (USA)

6th: Marina Kielmann (Germany)

Free Skate

7th: Tanja Szewczenko (Germany)

8th: Karen Preston (Can)

Free Skate

9th: Josée Chouinard (Can)

10th: Lenka Kulovaná (Czechoslovakia)

Free Skate

11th: Marie-Pierre Leray (France)

Short Program

13th: Lisa Ervin (USA)

PAIRS

Gold: Isabelle Brasseur & Lloyd Eisler (Can)

Short Program, Long Program

Silver: Mandy Wötzel & Ingo Steuer (Germany)

Bronze: Evgenia Shishkova & Vadim Naumov (Russia)

4th: Radka Kovaříková & René Novotný (Czechoslovakia)

5th: Jenni Meno & Todd Sand (USA)

6th: Marina Eltsova & Andrei Bushkov (Russia)

Short Program

7th: Michelle Menzies & Jean-Michel Bombardier (Can)

8th: Calla Urbanski & Rocky Marval (USA)

Long Program

10th: Jodeyne Higgins & Sean Rice (Can)

ICE DANCE

Gold: Maya Usova & Alexander Zhulin (Russia)

1st CD, 2nd CD, Free Dance

Silver: Oksana Grishuk & Evgeni Platov (Russia)

Free Dance

Bronze: Anjelika Krylova & Vladimir Fedorov (Russia)

Original Dance, Free Dance, Exhibition

4th: Susanna Rahkamo & Petri Kokko (Finland)

2nd CD, Original Dance, Free Dance

14th: Shae-Lynn Bourne & Victor Kraatz (Can)

2nd CD
    Last edited by Maofan7; 09-22-2013 at 11:36 PM.

vCash
    Should we re-litigate the whole Bonaly v. Baiul thing here?

vCash
    Had Lu Chen's short program been better I might have made a case for her winning the title. However as it was, while her short program performance was very good, 5th place was definitely correct. It just wasnt as strong as the top 4. Granted technically with Bonaly 3rd in the short and Baiul 2nd, the judges could have given Chen the title by placing Chen-Bonaly-Baiul in the LP but being 5th in the SP the judges are not even considering you for more than a bronze unless others blow. Josee had a very good short I thought, and I thought should have atleast been 3rd ahead of Bonaly. I would have scored them the same on elements, and Josee higher on presentation.

Elvis was majorly gifted in the SP. He had 3 mistakes, a three turn in his combination, a big step out on a double axel (!), and a visible stumble during his footwork. Even the incredibly messy and poorly skated short program, he should have probably been something more like 10th-12th and had no chance of a medal. It turns out he had some ordinals down as low as 16th, and it was just mostly luck he ended up as high as 5th, alot like Hughes in the SLC SP. It was amazing that Eric Millot of France ended up 4th in the mens short putting his down on a triple lutz-double toe combo, while Chen who did a clean triple lutz combo ended up 5th in the womens short. That just shows how well the womens event was skated at these Worlds, and how poorly the mens was.

I still definitely think Bonaly deserved the title. It was her best LP ever by far. Totally clean jumps, no cheats or iffy rotations or questionable two foots like usual. Pretty good spins, and as strong of choreography, delivery, and basic skating as she will ever exhibit. Sufficient to win over Baiul's technically limited program missing many of the basic requirements of a good and well balanced LP, even if Baiul is by far the more talented skater. Then again I could see a case for Baiul winning the SP over Kerrigan (although would never happen with Nancy going clean as Kerrigan was the heavy pre event favorite this year) and as I mentioned Josee being over Bonaly in the SP, which would have given Baiul the title anyway.

vCash
    I liked Woetzel & Steuer at this point. They actually had some better quality elements, and more interesting and appealing programs. I find as years went by I liked them less and less.

Menzies & Bombardier looked very promising around then. Amazing it would be their highest ever finish at Worlds.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I can see all Oksana's weaknesses in that SP ... but none the less, I am all over myself when I see that program. It is my favorite of all her programs. You can keep Broadway and Tchaikovsky.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 09-23-2013 at 02:08 AM.

vCash
    I wish Lu had her 94 Claire De Lune short program this year. Skating that cleanly I am sure she would have been higher than 5th, and probably had a fighting shot of the title this year.

vCash
    New York Times article on Oksana Baiul's 1993 world championship win.

Vacant
    vCash
    I loved the repetition of Canada winning both the men's and pairs events in Prague in the same arena where the Jelinek's and Don Jackson won in 1962, 31 years earlier. I know the Jelinek's were there to watch Brasseur & Eisler's victory. It's also a weird irony that Kurt's only major mistake was on his triple lutz; the very jump Jackson pioneered in the same venue all those years before.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    New York Times article on Oksana Baiul's 1993 world championship win.
    The Winter Games are just 10 months away, and Baiul will not change her programs that much before next February. She will still perform a sassy flamenco in the short program, then switch tempos to Broadway tunes for the free program. The combinations that she skipped in Prague, when she improvised them away to the dismay of Zmievskaya, are supposed to return.
    Interesting. Neither of those happened.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Good thing Oksana changed the SP. I liked the flamenco, but Swan Lake is one of my all time favorite programs. Even though I liked the Broadway number a lot as well, considering how much she matured in her SP it's a shame she didn't have a new LP... her Meditation program would've been glorious.

vCash
    Bonaly should've won!

vCash
    I understand why Bonaly was so upset.
    However, she didn't handle the situation in a way that enhanced her future chances.
    Quite the opposite, in fact.

vCash
    ^Are you thinking of 1994?

vCash
    When did she have the "tantrum" on the podium?

vCash

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    When did she have the "tantrum" on the podium?
    It's hard to keep straight because didn't she have a few tantrums? Even though only one was on the podium...

vCash
    I think Chen Lu's free program was so underrated this year. I know everyone remembers her Rach and The Last emperor programs, but this one with the music of Nausicaa (a fantastic film, btw, if u haven't seen it) is the most challenging she ever did. It's really a COP program, loaded with transitions that put Chan into the rear view and backloaded with very difficult jumps. She was just not as in your face as Oksana, but really subtle and beautiful...pity the commentators kind of ruin the view of her performance

vCash
    ^I LOVE Nausicaa - the film, the music, AND her programme.

vCash
    I agree about Chens program, and it showed she was very diverse and capable of different styles through the years. I do agree the commentary does ruin the program a bit because they obviously did not like it that much.

vCash
    Video on the Usova/Zhulin and Grishuk/Platov story.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast