View Poll Results: Any chance (no matter how small) of a clean Chan ever not winning

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

34 33.33%
  • no

68 66.67%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Walei, Patrick's Pcs were ridiculous. He had the highest PCS in the free skate and he was a mess.
    Aside from messing up the elements which is scored through the TES, Patrick still demonstrated that he had all the qualities to get top PCS. Daisuke is close IMO so if Patrick falls and Daisuke lands his stuff Daisuke should come out on top if judging is fair. Denis Ten is really good too but he is not the best overall skater in the field right now to get top PCS if that's what you are implying should happen at Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    A clean Chan is almost an oxymoron.

Yeah that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    A clean Chan is almost an oxymoron.
    I am sure there will many oxymorons in the forthcoming competitions. Let's start counting 'clean' programs.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    A Hanyu or Fernandez totally clean and inspired with 3 quads can beat a clean Chan with 2 quads if Chan is lacking expressiveness on that day. However, that is a big task and unlikely to happen.

having a nice day
    vCash
    Hell yes. I can think of 4 skaters who can beat chan , clean or dirty. You guys know who you are, go for it !!!!
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    Which program are you referring to?

If its the worlds, and I was there, Denis Ten had a clean but uninspiring skate. Patrick had a flawed skate that was brilliant in parts.
    He deserved every bit of PCS he got!
    There is a big difference between seeing him on TV and live.
    Hanyu is another skater that looks very different live.
    Takahashi has the same charisma live or on TV.
    I've seen both Patrick and Yuzuru skate live (will check off Daisuke come Skate America - eeeeeeee!) and I disagree. Patrick's an amazingly powerful skater, but he simply doesn't move me in the way some of his contemporaries can, regardless of whether he's in front of my face or on a screen. I think Yuzuru looks stronger on TV, although I did see him at last SkAm where he completely melted down in the FP. I'll probably be freaking out too much to be able to fully appreciate Daisuke.

vCash
    I was so entranced with Daisuke live that I didn't notice til the replay that he had botched all of his jumping passes. The man is hypnotic. Javi is incredibly charming, and Patrick can be too when he has a character to play. Take Five wasn't the best program choreographically, but it was very cute when he skated it with feeling; Moon Dance is an absolute riot live.

I think Javier and Yuzuru could beat a clean Patrick (by the slimmest of margins, mind). I think they have higher base TES.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee
    Hanyu is another skater that looks very different live.
    Even if it's a little off topic, may I ask in what way different? Although, given how he was ill and had two injuries, well...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiloquy View Post
    I've seen both Patrick and Yuzuru skate live (will check off Daisuke come Skate America - eeeeeeee!) and I disagree. Patrick's an amazingly powerful skater, but he simply doesn't move me in the way some of his contemporaries can, regardless of whether he's in front of my face or on a screen. I think Yuzuru looks stronger on TV, although I did see him at last SkAm where he completely melted down in the FP. I'll probably be freaking out too much to be able to fully appreciate Daisuke.
    Your words: He simply doesnt move me.... This is your perception and mine is different!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valyrian View Post
    I was so entranced with Daisuke live that I didn't notice til the replay that he had botched all of his jumping passes. The man is hypnotic. Javi is incredibly charming, and Patrick can be too when he has a character to play. Take Five wasn't the best program choreographically, but it was very cute when he skated it with feeling; Moon Dance is an absolute riot live.

I think Javier and Yuzuru could beat a clean Patrick (by the slimmest of margins, mind). I think they have higher base TES.
    Daisuke has the ability to draw one into the program. He will make an amazing professional and show skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    Your words: He simply doesnt move me.... This is your perception and mine is different!
    Yeah, and by the same token it is your opinion that Patrick deserved the PCS he got at Worlds.

vCash
    Right now, if the men's skaters perform as planned...

The following men would have a higher base value than Chan: Aaron, Reynolds, Takahashi, Kozuka, Hanyu, Fernandez (and that's off the top of my head). Chan will obviously make up ground on TES and PCS but in a clean competition, I think Fernandez (who's personal best long program is staggeringly close to Chan's, and he had one more mistake) and Hanyu are really close to him and I genuinely believe that one of them could take it.

vCash
    I know it probably wont happen but I would love to see Chan skate cleanly at the 2010 Olympics and still finish 4th behind Takahashi, Fernandez, and Hanyu. It would be the sports finest hour if it happened, especialy after all the all time scandals and embarassments involving Chan the last 3 years.

vCash
    ^^ If Chan had skated cleanly in 2010 Olympics he would have medalled. If we call competition outcomes embarrassments and scandals if they are not to our desires, every competition will be scandalous.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    I know it probably wont happen but I would love to see Chan skate cleanly at the 2010 Olympics and still finish 4th behind Takahashi, Fernandez, and Hanyu. It would be the sports finest hour if it happened, especialy after all the all time scandals and embarassments involving Chan the last 3 years.
    1. He finished 5th at the 2010 Games, but he didn't skate clean.

2. I'm going to pretend you think it would be the sport's finest hour because that would mean that the three medalists skated out-of-their-skins amazing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    ^^ If Chan had skated cleanly in 2010 Olympics he would have medalled. If we call competition outcomes embarrassments and scandals if they are not to our desires, every competition will be scandalous.
    Not neccessarily if everyone else had skated cleanly. The consensus seems to be had everyone skated cleanly at the 2010 Olympics Chan would have slotted in anywhere from 3rd to 7th (with Takahashi and Lambiel the top two finishers). Chan was just one of many top skaters and contenders in 2010, not the immortal god who was 5 falls over the field like today (well he isnt really that in skating ability even today, the judges just decided out of nowhere he had become that).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123