View Poll Results: Any chance (no matter how small) of a clean Chan ever not winning

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

34 33.33%
  • no

68 66.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    A clean Chan DESERVES to win! That is all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    Takahashi bested Chan along with 3 others during WTT LP, and Denis Ten beat Chan in 2013 World's LP.
    Losing a LP is meaningless, it is not losing a competition. If you are wearing the gold medal in the end you didnt "lose".

In the two events you refer to only Takahashi beat Chen even with all his mistakes at the WTT, and nobody beat Chan even with all his mistakes at the 2013 Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Losing a LP is meaningless, it is not losing a competition. If you are wearing the gold medal in the end you didnt "lose".

In the two events you refer to only Takahashi beat Chen even with all his mistakes at the WTT, and nobody beat Chan even with all his mistakes at the 2013 Worlds.
    That's because Chan was so far ahead of everyone else after the SP. I don't remember there being an uproar about his SP mark at Worlds 2013. Several people did complained he's too far ahead to be caught up by anyone regardless of what happened in LP (and they were right) mostly because his main rivals faltered in the SP and Ten never really received those kind of marks before. Anyways I don't want to beat a dead horse, but it's silly to say Chan still wins with mistakes if others are squeaky clean. If he falls 3 times and other top tier skaters (Takahashi, Hanyu, Fernandez, Ten) are clean in both phases of the competition I would bet money against Chan to win. You are welcome to take that bet if you think otherwise.

vCash
    Yes clean Chan can lose. Takahashi can beat clean Chan in PCS, Hanyu in GOE, and Fernandez in base value. Atleast if judging were fair clean Chan could lose by others going clean. He is not god, even if judges treat him like one many times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    A clean Chan DESERVES to win! That is all.
    Sure. If his base value in both programmes is higher than anyone else's, and he skates them clean, then yes. Same goes for any skater.
    Touching the void.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by itoaxel View Post
    Yes clean Chan can lose. Takahashi can beat clean Chan in PCS, Hanyu in GOE, and Fernandez in base value. Atleast if judging were fair clean Chan could lose by others going clean. He is not god, even if judges treat him like one many times.

vCash
    His base values arent the highest though. Fernandez's are. If Chan were scored fairly there would be about 4 men who had chances to win if all were clean, and Chan with a fall could not ever win if someone else near the top skated perfectly. He isnt best in everything, the only thing he is best in are skating skills, transitions, and maybe footwork. The way the judges score him though he is given like a 3 fall atleast advantage on the others. It isnt fair and isnt accurate to what his true skating abilities are.

Worlds last year was just embarassing. Hopefully the judges smarten up this year or figure skating will be out of the Olympics by 2018, and it will all be because of Chan.

vCash
    Hopefully the judges smarten up this year or figure skating will be out of the Olympics by 2018, and it will all be because of Chan.
    Thank you for the laugh, itoaxel.

vCash
    To answer the question "no"; Patrick Chan is going to be a two-time Olympic Gold Medalist in both Men and the Team Event. His name will be written with the greats ~ Gillis Grafstrom (2-time Olympic Gold Medalist), Karl Schafer (2-time Olympic Gold Medalist), Dick Button (2-time Olympic Gold Medalist).

Yes, I am a die hard Evgeni Plushenko Fan forever & always (& always have been), but I take my hat off to history and records being broken.

Alas, Barbara Ann Scott's record is going to be broken, whereas she's been the only Canadian Singles Olympic Gold Medalist in history, now Patrick Chan will add his name to hers but for Men.

Not to mention Canada will be the first country to win the gold in the brand new Team Event, which I'm most looking forward to!!!! I predict this event will overshadow the individual events in the future, just like it has in gymnastics. Jmho.

vCash
    Worlds last year was just embarassing. Hopefully the judges smarten up this year or figure skating will be out of the Olympics by 2018, and it will all be because of Chan.
    If Chan wins the OGM with 3 or 4 falls, while a few others skate clean, I think the Russian media will get on his case and put the pressure on the IOC/ISU to award a few more gold medals (not that they will succeed )

vCash
    Of course Chan did lose SC 2012 and the GPF 12/13 (nor did he win a single program at either event); Hanyu with three falls at Skate America 2012 scored 243.74. Chan with one fall at Skate Canada 2012 scored 243.43.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Of course Chan did lose SC 2012 and the GPF 12/13 (nor did he win a single program at either event); Hanyu with three falls at Skate America 2012 scored 243.74. Chan with one fall at Skate Canada 2012 scored 243.43.
    I dont remember all the details but Chan had alot of mistakes at Skate Canada, besides that fall. More worth of mistakes over the two programs than Hanyu's 3 falls at Skate America which were his only mistakes in an otherwise flawless competition (which he still lost to one of the lower ranked Japanese IIRC).

vCash
    Personally I think that by now the judges must have realized that Chan's error-laden wins are notorious and bad for skating. I think he is overdue for a PCS wakeup call. There is always the chance that he will skate easier programs this season or master all the difficulty WITH the jumps, but an Olympics win like his 2013 or even 2012 Worlds wins will make the hoopla around Evan's quadless win look like an evening at the ballet.

If he does win, I just hope he does it convincingly (convincing fans and audiences as well as the judges).

vCash
    BTW, who do you guys think should win of a Chan with 2 falls or a clean Javier at the Olympics? My answer is Chan. I might not love to see another Urmanov-tic Olympic Champion (which is a good & charming skater and nice person but not a special skater, JMO).
    Last edited by t.mann; 09-24-2013 at 06:05 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by t.mann View Post
    BTW, who do you guys think should win of a Chan with 2 falls or a clean Javier at the Olympics? My answer is Chan. I might not love to see another Urmanov-tic Olympic Champion (which is a good & charming skater and nice person but not a special skater, JMO).
    Javier. At a competition of skaters at the same level, and with programs with the same content, the one who doesn't fall should win. If Javier falls and Patrick doesn't, the Patrick should win. If they both fall, then it should come down to other things. I can simply not believe that Chan's edge quality is so much better than every other extant male skater that it makes up for his often numerous mistakes. And I like Patrick.

vCash
    Agreed. Javi is hardly chopped liver, lol.

vCash
    Is there any competition giving medals to the highest PCS winner, the highest GOE winner, and the highest BV winner? If so, it might not always be Chan. But overall, Chan will be the winner. Sorry about it.

vCash
    Walei, Patrick's Pcs were ridiculous. He had the highest PCS in the free skate and he was a mess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Walei, Patrick's Pcs were ridiculous. He had the highest PCS in the free skate and he was a mess.
    Which program are you referring to?

If its the worlds, and I was there, Denis Ten had a clean but uninspiring skate. Patrick had a flawed skate that was brilliant in parts.
    He deserved every bit of PCS he got!
    There is a big difference between seeing him on TV and live.
    Hanyu is another skater that looks very different live.
    Takahashi has the same charisma live or on TV.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post

If its the worlds, and I was there, Denis Ten had a clean but uninspiring skate. Patrick had a flawed skate that was brilliant in parts.
    He deserved every bit of PCS he got!
    Mmm . . . I think Patrick deserved some of the PCS he got.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast