View Poll Results: Any chance (no matter how small) of a clean Chan ever not winning

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

34 33.33%
  • no

68 66.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Is there even the smallest chance of a clean Chan ever beating beaten

In your opinion do you believe there is any chance, even the tiniest one, that Patrick Chan could skate cleanly and ever lose a competition. I am not sure if there was any skater in history that was more unlikely to ever be allowed to be beaten by the judges going cleanly than him.

vCash
    I voted no as personal I have gathered from viewing competitions the last 3 seasons that 4 falls worth of mistakes (not neccessarily 4 falls per say, but 4 falls worth of mistakes) is the absolute bare minimum he would have to make for a completely spetacular 2 program effort from Takahashi, Kozuka, or Fernandez to beat him. Even that might be stingy and lower than reality.

That is just my view though. I was wondering how others felt, and if there was amazingly even a tiny chance of clean Chan ever losing.

vCash
    Absolutely not. In order to beat a clean Chan, his rival will need to have skating skills equal to or better than Chan's (impossible among current skaters), and will have to land 2 different quads, one would have to be a 4-3-3 combination, the other a 4Lz, plus a 3A-3t combination, each jump with a difficult entrance, with the highest levels of spins, footwork, and the politics in his favor.

A comparable past situation was Michelle Kwan in 1998. Everyone thought that a clean Michelle was unbeatable. However, Tara's more difficult jump combination and the skating order was enough to beat Michelle who skated clean, but not as great as at the US nationals. The politics were not a factor, since both were from the USA. Earlier, in 1997 Michelle did lose when she made mistakes.

I don't see an upset taking place in Chan's case, since even a mistake filled program did not cost him a win. I think both Chan and Kim are unbeatable if they skate clean.
    Last edited by Vash01; 09-22-2013 at 06:09 AM.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    An exceptionally small yes, with the right judging panel and a surpassing number of ratified technical elements.

vCash
    Any chance (no matter how small) of a clean Chan

Full stop.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiloquy View Post

Full stop.
    Good point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiloquy View Post

Full stop.
    LOL. I didn't get it the first time I read this.

vCash
    Well the poll results are a pretty strong consensus.

vCash
    A clean Chan is almost an oxymoron.

vCash
    Clean Chan doesn't exist. However, there is not much chance of Chan with 4 falls not winning, so why there should be a chance of clean Chan not winning?

vCash
    I know we will never see a clean Chan and that is what makes it an interesting topic. We will never learn the answer for sure (although seeing top guys skate cleanly and lose to Chan with 4 falls would seem an obvious answer as a couple others noted, but I still was curious if a certain quotient with a broad perspective on things still saw a tiny possability or not).

vCash
    I think Chan had skated clean in the GPF that was held in China, and also when he won his first WC.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Only if God himself were in the competition.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    At the GPF Vash is referring to, Chan underrotated the quad in the short program and had a royally botched triple axel in the long (two foot, both hands down). His Worlds 2011 was probably the closest to clean he's been but for the 3A stumble.

vCash
    Wow "yes" is now certain to reach double digits. Didnt expect that. You know SkateFan66 will be in at some point to vote "yes" and state "Evan Lysacek could beat a clean Chan", so that makes 10 votes minimum.

vCash
    I am surprised that there are so many 'yes' voters.

vCash
    If no one can beat him when he falls then no one will if he's clean

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    If no one can beat him when he falls then no one will if he's clean
    Takahashi bested Chan along with 3 others during WTT LP, and Denis Ten beat Chan in 2013 World's LP.

vCash
    No.

vCash
    I really want to vote "yes", but that'd be wishful thinking. The poll question could just has well have been "Any chance of Chan ever being beaten, even with mistakes?"

The only small glimmer of hope is that this is an Olympic year and more people than usual will be watching, therefore Chan winning olympic gold with 3 falls and one stumble, over, say, a clean Takahashi or Fernandez with high tech content might cause enough uproar that judges would think twice before letting that happen. Maybe maybe maybe...
    Touching the void.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast