Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Just from a logistics stand point. That's 40 short programs on day one. That's one long competition.

- I'm also assuming it will be in Olympic order - pairs, men, dance, ladies?
    No, the schedule is:

-Men and Pairs short programmes on Feb. 6 (the day before the opening ceremonies)
    -Dance and Ladies short programmes AND Pairs Free programme on Feb. 8 (hence my question two posts earlier)
    -Men, Ladies and Dance free programmes on Feb. 9 (medals awarded)

So, the first day has 20 short programmes. Two nights later we have 20 more short programmes followed by 5 long programmes. The last night has 15 long programmes.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The second on selecting the skaters/teams in the FS/FD portion reads:

For the 5 Teams qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance of the Figure Skating Team Event the NOC/ISU Member must declare the Skater/Couple competing for the Free Skating/Free Dance immediately (latest about 10 minutes) after the conclusion of the last Short Program/Short Dance of the Team Event in order to ensure that the Team composition of all Teams are known before the beginning of the Free Skating/Free Dance.

It's likely that RUS, CAN, and USA will get three spots, and their Pairs will assume to be skating, and that JPN, CHN, ITA, and FRA will be fighting for the last two spots. Given how weak they are in Dance, CHN may have a good idea by the end of the Pairs SP if they have a fighting chance at the final, and FRA will likely have a good guess, since they will know by then how P/B did against the Russian Dance teams at GPF and/or Euros, and they don't have a very strong Lady. Assuming T/K qualify for the Olympics, they may have to wait until the end of Ladies to find out, and, if Kostner is skating the SP for ITA, so might ITA.

The judges section reads:

c) Immediately following the draw procedure for the respective panels for the individual OWG competitions/disciplines the draw for the panels of the Figure Skating Team Event will follow. The composition will be made as follows

• Pair Skating 9 NOCs/ISU Members out of the 13 NOCs/ISU Members drawn for the Pair Skating individual OWG competition will form the Pair Skating panel for the Pair Skating Team Event.
    • Men 5 NOCs/ISU Members, out of the 13 NOCs/ISU Members drawn for the Men individual OWG competition and 4 NOCs/ISU Members out of the 9 NOCs/ISU Members drawn already in the Pair Skating Team event will form the panel of Judges for the Men Team Event.
    • Ladies 5 NOCs/ISU Members, out of the 13 NOCs/ISU Members drawn for the Ladies individual OWG competition and 4 NOCs/ISU Members out of the 9 NOCs/ISU Members drawn already in the Pair Skating Team event will form the panel of Judges for the Ladies Team Event
    • Ice Dance 9 NOCs/ISU Members out of the 13 NOCs/ISU Members drawn for the Ice Dance individual OWG competition will form the Ice Dance panel for the Ice Dance Team Event.

d) All Judges, officiating in the Team Event can be invited to act as a Substitute Judge for another discipline of the Team Event if needed and so qualified.

If I'm reading this correctly, it's possible that up to four judges can be drawn to do Pairs, Men, and Ladies, or two each day.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Spain is alphabetized as "Spain", not by it's country code (ESP).
    That's the way it has always been listed on the ISU site.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/pa...m-item,00.html
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Unlike World Team Trophy, where there was so much characteristically Japanese-fan serving emphasis on "rooting one's teammates on" it will be interesting to see how much effort is placed by the athletes on all the kiss 'n cry shenanigans at the Olympics. Doubt we'll see much.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    That's the way it has always been listed on the ISU site.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/pa...m-item,00.html
    Yes, and I forgot and looked for it under the "E"'s.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Unlike World Team Trophy, where there was so much characteristically Japanese-fan serving emphasis on "rooting one's teammates on" it will be interesting to see how much effort is placed by the athletes on all the kiss 'n cry shenanigans at the Olympics. Doubt we'll see much.
    The shenanigans will probably be turned down a knotch or two, but that doesn't mean the athletes won't push each other. They all are hungry for an easy medal.

I wonder what the venue will look like..I liked how the Japanese set up the team boxes with the glittery flags...actually they were tiny beads if you look closer.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The three top medal team contenders should be RUS, CAN, and USA. RUS as the home team has incentive to have the crowds behind the team. USA and CAN will have media there, and it's in their best interests to get people hooked in at the beginning of the broadcasts. The IOC might not even allow the teams to wait in KnC, let alone decorate them, but if they don't, I'd expect a lot of TV shots of the teams sitting together in the athlete section of the stands, in whatever celebratory gear they have and waving lots of flags.

vCash
    Once they get down to 5 teams, it would be cool if they each had a 'bench' area, their own K'n'C as it were.

I thought this was a stupid idea, and while I am still concerned how the media will react to seeing programs 2x at the games, I think this format will have a positive impact on development of all disciplines in the 'bubble' countries.

I still wish they would bring in elements of "top jump" and use the same format for spins. But for that to work, it would have to take place after the individual events as no one would throw caution to the wind before their main event.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    If time weren't so tight, they could make it part of the exhibition.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiazumi View Post
    The shenanigans will probably be turned down a knotch or two, but that doesn't mean the athletes won't push each other. They all are hungry for an easy medal.

It's going to be less physically strenuous for the athletes to skate in this event than it will be in the individual events?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I think the poster means that it will be much easier for some people to medal in the team event than it would for that same skater to medal in their own event.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    There could potentially be a number of skaters who have no chance at an Olympic medal in their own event, but who end up still winning a medal in the team event simply because they are lucky enough to have elite skaters from their country.

Also - I wonder how skaters will prepare for the team event, especially considering it has never been done before. My guess is that we will see a lot of skaters have the skate of their life at the team event and then do terribly in their own event or vice versa.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skating678 View Post

Also - I wonder how skaters will prepare for the team event, especially considering it has never been done before. My guess is that we will see a lot of skaters have the skate of their life at the team event and then do terribly in their own event or vice versa.
    I think it'll be particularly interesting in pairs and dance since v/t and s/s and v/m and d/w pretty much have silver and gold individuals locked up. I would think those teams wouldn't want direct comparisons prior to their own events... Maybe v/m and d/w can make plans since Marina will know who's doing what (i.e one do short and one do free), but the pairs don't have that option. (While pondering this I don't remember if GER is in the running for teams anyway, so forgive me if they aren't!)

vCash
    S/S aren't skating the team event, according to Steuer.

vCash
    May I ask what is the point of having the team event BEFORE everyone's individual events? I mean, obviously some of the top skaters might ditch it in order to be in shape for their big individual performances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    May I ask what is the point of having the team event BEFORE everyone's individual events? I mean, obviously some of the top skaters might ditch it in order to be in shape for their big individual performances.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

According to Dore, the ISU considered holding the team event at the end of the Games, after figure skating had concluded. NBC, the U.S. television rights holder, wanted to stick with tradition and broadcast the ladies discipline as the final event.

"You're fighting television contracts, and ladies is the big thing," Dore said. "U.S. television is the biggest monetary contributor to the IOC."
    US media has a lot of say in how the Olympics runs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

US media has a lot of say in how the Olympics runs.
    Ok, speechless. I don't even know what to say to this. Does the entire world really have to be subordinating to whatever US wants?

US media sucks, by the way, for promoting ladiezzz as "the big thing".

(I hope the wonderful Americans we have on this forum will forgive me for saying this)

vCash
    Here is an excerpt from the recent Berton/Hotárek interview where they talk about team event. I thought it might be interesting to see their point of view.

What do you think about the team competition at the Olympic Games? Are you going to take part in it?
    Stefania: I didn't understand the rules!
    Ondřej: We have mixed feelings about this team event. After the retirement of Samuel Contesti the team is not as strong as the other disciplines. It's very hard at the Olympics. The other problem is that the two events are really close, especially the team event and the pair event. It's a matter of four days and we don't really want to waste all our energy in the team event or just to be even a little out of focus for the main event. The main event is what we train for.
    Stefania: Obviously, the team event is a great experience. We did it two years ago in Tokyo. We had such a great time, it was amazing! We loved it! You fight for a team instead of for yourself.
    Maybe you can get a medal with the team, which is amazing! But when I saw that the team event started even before the opening ceremony... then continued the day after the opening ceremony. Too stressful. I'd like to be a part of it, but on the other hand, the main event is actually the most important thing.

It must be hard for skaters to work around such a schedule.
    Stefania: Exactly! I don't understand the rules and nobody understands what's going on. It is also very hard for the girls. Carolina [Kostner] and maybe Valentina [Marchei] have to come at the beginning, two weeks before their main competition. They can't stay there, because there is no good practice ice.
    Ondřej: You can practice only 20 minutes a day; not enough to maintain your form. This makes the main competition very complicated. It's a great idea, but it's complicated. The Federation and ISU have to decide what they really want most and to focus on it. If they want to have a great main event or... there is still an Olympic medal at stake...

Because the price is too high!
    Stefania and Ondřej: Yes!
    Ondřej: And the biggest thing is - we don't know how the team event will work for us. The first time for us it was in Tokyo. We enjoyed it very much as a group.
    Stefania: The spirit of the event was to have fun with the audience and the audience had fun with us. But at the Olympics it will be totally different. Everybody will think about the medal. It will be totally serious and everybody has to do their best! Then you have to do your own event too. A little hard!
    http://www.absoluteskating.com/inter...nhotarek3.html

vCash
    This brand new Olympic Team Event is honestly the one I'm most looking forward to! I can't wait to see whom will win silver & bronze, the stategies used, the highs & lows, whom will choke (hopefully nobody! ) and whom will rise to the occasion and secure their country a medal.

ps: I don't blame those countries that don't have a chance at a medal for not wanting to compete, rather save their best (& energy) for their individual event. Jmho.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    (I hope the wonderful Americans we have on this forum will forgive me for saying this)
    Not to worry, we generally all hate our media as much or more than the rest of the world does.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast