vCash

Where Do You Get Your Music?

Where do you get your skating music? Do you edit it yourself? Does your coach do it? Do you use a service?

If you use someone else's services, how much does it normally cost? Does the fee vary by length, or etc.?
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    I edit myself using Audacity. It is never really great, but I'm cheap.

vCash
    I use Audacity too.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I use Cacophony (on the Mac).

Are you asking as well where we find the music in the first place?
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    Yes, I'm also interested in where people get ideas for the music they use. I've only ever skated one competition, so I don't have a lot of experience with finding skating music. I did gymnastics so long ago that we simply picked a "already cut for gymnastics and used a million times" song off the coach's gymnastics mix tape.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quite honestly, I put it out in the universe and wait to see what I come across. I know that sounds airy-fairy, but I find that if I just listen and keep an ear out, as it were, amazing stuff shows up. My coach has never given me a piece of music.

My current freeskate music happened this way. I went to see a museum show about animation, and wanted to see more of an early animator whose work was featured in it. So I looked on YouTube, and one of the posts of his work had a really nice piece of music playing with it (the original was silent). I looked in the comments section to see what the piece was, and then went on iTunes. There were 200+ versions of the piece, and I listened to each one for at least a few seconds to find the one I liked the best and that would sound good over the PA. Then I bought the CD with the piece I liked, and cut the music to fit. Incidentally, I don't like using pieces right off iTunes because they sound too tinny and compressed to me, but then I am a music snob.

Two other pieces I found through friends, who I told I was looking for music and gave them the parameters (approximate length etc.) The pieces are both ones that I never would have chosen for myself, but my friends knew what I liked and what I look like, so they chose stuff they thought would work for me. And it did.

Another piece I chose after spending an afternoon at a record store and listening to CDs on the "play before you buy" stations. And I listened to a little bit of everything, even the gangsta rap CDs. Seriously, you never know where something usable will pop up. And the piece I ended up using was eight minutes long, and I had to edit it down to two-and-a-half. If the original artists ever heard it, they would cry.

And another way I found a piece was that I was watching a mid-70s skating program on YouTube, and the music for that was by an artist I hadn't heard in a while. So I started looking on YouTube for stuff by him and other acts in the same genre/period, and came across an artist who had an album that I really liked in high school, but my copy was long gone. I listened to it again on YouTube, found a piece that I thought would work, and bought the CD and edited it. And it did work.

Like I say, if you put it out in the universe, amazing things can happen......
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    Once I heard someone say you need to pick something you can't resist imagining yourself skating to.

vCash
    May I suggest people check out musician/composer Philip Sheppard, I heart his music. Crystallised Beauty is how I discovered him (ITV UK used it to promo their Austen adaptations a few years back). I bought the Bobby Fischer soundtrack, and his soundtrack stuff should be on itunes. And if you scroll down his Soundcloud page, there are some free downloads (the down arrow). Happy listening.

vCash
    I think you need to listen to a lot of music and have a wide range of tastes. If your only knowledge of music consists of commercial top 40 radio and the most commonly used pieces of skating music, that really limits what you use.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    When in doubt, you could skate to Carmen, Swan Lake, or Phantom

I tend to use songs I know from past experience- my first program was to Stuff Like That There, one of my favorite songs from my dance days. I also bowed to temptation and used Disney music, a lesser known song from Pocahontas. For my most recent freeskate, my coach also gave me a CD of songs he liked and I picked my favorite off of it. Then Mirai Nagasu used my music, so I looked like I was being a copier Before I stopped skating, I had cut music from the Zelda (Nintendo) Symphany CD that came with my husband's game purchase.

vCash
    My first program was to selections from Pictures at an Exhibition because I thought it would be fun to do a mix of majestic and grotesque.

(I also tried making a program to music from Pink Floyd's The Wall, but I never finished or competed with it.)

The second was to a brass quintet version of St. James Infirmary because I liked the version that Grishuk & Platov had used in 1993, and I think Tatiana Malinina used the same version for her 1998 SP, but I couldn't find that one. So my version was a little more brassy. With trombone arms in the layback.

Then the time limit for bronze freeskate was extended to 1:50 max. I was looking for new music and on a CD of cocktail music that I'd used for a play I was directing I found a piece that was 1:47, so that didn't require any cutting. Frenesi Twist: so I could dance the twist and generally have fun dancing it (the last time I competed with it, after I got comfortable with the choreography).

Then I wanted to do an ocean-themed dramatic interp program. My coach suggested Aquatic Dances by Vangelis. It worked for the interp, so she suggested turning it into a freestyle program.

My coach does all my music cutting now. Previously she had had a senior student of hers do it for $25. At my first club as an adult, one of the dads was available for music cutting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I was looking for new music and on a CD of cocktail music that I'd used for a play I was directing I found a piece that was 1:47, so that didn't require any cutting.
    This is the absolute ideal to me. When I can find music that doesn't require cutting, it is like a dream come true!