Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I actually think Baiul was one of the best ever in terms of line and skating abilities. She absolutely captivates me. Definitely in my top 2 with Michelle Kwan.

On the other hand, I'm usually embarrassed to bring her up since she seems ridiculed by almost everyone haha.

vCash
    On this board she is very underrated and hated by many. A lot of the comments here would imply that she was not even a senior level skater. She skated in 1994 under 6.0 but she is being evaluated based on COP rules. She had wonderful basic skating skills, and she was always in a perfect position, no matter what she was doing (according to some here, she was not doing anything at all). She had wonderful arm movements that expressed the music. Her jumps had very good height, and her lutz was done from the correct edge. Her flip was also done from the correct edge, and she had lovely salchows and loops. She had a wonderful flow on the ice. Her presence on the ice was extraordinary. There are only a few skaters that can touch the audience the way she did (some others- Kwan, Galindo, Petrenko, Slutskaya). It's all a part of the package.

Despite her young age, she had a deep emotional connection with the music and the audience. You only have to watch her 'Swan' exhibition at the 94 Olympics to see that. Tracy Wilson once said - "Our sport is very fortunate to have her". Some comments by commentators were - "Music flows through her", "Her flow on the ice is fantastic"- Those are not something to sneer at.

She did not realize her enormous potential for many reasons but to imply that she was nothing when she won the OGM 94 amounts to a strong dislike. I did not agree with her 93 world title, but a silver would have been fine. In 94 I was not that impressed with Kerrigan; she was wooden and robotic, with some unattractive moves. It was a very close decision, as it should have been. It could have gone either way, and there is no need to hate Oksana for that.

Outside this board, I have no idea how others view her. I have not seen her skate in years, and I was not impressed with her post-2000 pro routines when I did watch her. The changes in her body made some things more difficult for her but her personal issues may be the main reason she did not realize her potential as a skater and artist.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I dont know if she is in the real World but she sure is on this forum. She is about the most not hated, but downplayed or diminished skater on this forum. Her skating did not stand the test of time, atleast for people here.
    This seems true. One of the reasons she is diminished, and maybe some extent Tara Lipinski as well, is that they won the largest of all competitions while they were changing and yet to be at their mature forms as women, skaters and artists. Oksana is not at all the balletic skater she was when she won, and she seems to have gone on to prefer a more Pop Diva approach to her numbers as a professional.

Maybe it is the skating after 1996 or so that she produced that is under-appreciated. I think she is unique in her dance studio, in-front-of-a-mirror style of choreography, which I appreciate. If she were a consistent jumper I would have enjoyed her pro skating much much more.

vCash
    Oksana was a favorite of mine when I was younger. My mother absolutely adored her so that's who I cheered for. I was only 7 or 8 when she won the Olys in 1994 and I didn't know anything about technique, edges, moves in the field, etc. I just knew she was pretty and bubbly and I liked her. Plus, I never liked Nancy Kerrigan. She always looked so damn mean to me...plus I remember her making the news with her really bitchy attitude during the parade at Disney World. Disney World is heaven for a child so to see her calling it all "corny" and "dumb" was shocking. As a kid I didn't care for her before the Olympics and I flat out hated her after that. In hindsight, watching the performances from Lillehammer, I probably would have given Nancy the gold over Oksana...but I was thrilled Oksana won. I still am.

Oksana (along with Kristi) was responsible for drawing me to the sport. There was just something about her that really captivated me. I do think her career was too short and that has a lot to do with her reputation on these kinds of forums. I really enjoyed her early professional skating. She wasn't that great of a competitor but I loved her programs: the tribute to Sergei, her duet with Viktor Petrenko, and her programs to "Sadness" and "The Feeling Begins" were all amazing and are still some of my favorites today.

I see Oksana as more of an artist. She had a number of lovely programs and she really knew how to bring the drama and emotion to the ice when she skated. For that, she'll always be one of my favorites...
    Last edited by kwanatic; 09-20-2013 at 06:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    On this board she is very underrated and hated by many. A lot of the comments here would imply that she was not even a senior level skater. She skated in 1994 under 6.0 but she is being evaluated based on COP rules.
    No, it has been known since 1993 that she has no turns in her programs. And it has been pointed ou in 1999 in COI tour by Brian Boitano.
    Oksana Baiul is a fantastic skater, with fabulous speed, control, height in the jumps, and beautiful spins. But her LP was only about theatre on ice, with nothing with the feet. And technically, she didn't show the talent she could have on spins, and her landings on jumps were questionnable.
    Her SP in Lillehammer was brilliant (except the 2-footed landing on the combo)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    No, it has been known since 1993 that she has no turns in her programs. And it has been pointed ou in 1999 in COI tour by Brian Boitano.
    Oksana Baiul is a fantastic skater, with fabulous speed, control, height in the jumps, and beautiful spins. But her LP was only about theatre on ice, with nothing with the feet. And technically, she didn't show the talent she could have on spins, and her landings on jumps were questionnable.
    Her SP in Lillehammer was brilliant (except the 2-footed landing on the combo)
    Oksana had wonderful spins (6.0 type; not the COP types where you are forced to change positions, at the cost of musical interpretation and quality of spins). Until then most ladies - with the exception of Biellman- were just doing the standard spins. Oksana brought beauty to the spins, spirals, by using her flexibility and the ability to hold a great position on the ice. She was not a consistent jumper and probably lacked confidence, but she was capable of beautiful landings as witnessed in her 3lutz in the LP.

vCash
    Was Oksana the first to do the donut spin?

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Was Oksana the first to do the donut spin?
    Cecelia Colledge did that spin 75 years ago.

vCash
    I was a kid when Oksana won her titles and I fell in love with her sense of movement and her connection to the music. Her Lillehammer Black Swan is one of my all-time favourite Olympic performances. And I continued to enjoy her Pro performances, especially some of her work with Sarah Arakawa. Her interpretation of "Meditation" even surpasses B&S's for me, which is saying a lot. I miss her and wish we had an opportunity to see her skate these days.

Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Thanks. I always assumed Oksana was the first.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Now here is reference to a very underappreciated skater. Colledge was the first to do camel and layback spins, donut spin and a double jump in her programs.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I have actually really come to appreciate Oksana over recent years. This may be due to the fact that COP has created a world of ladies' skating where many of today's champions come across to me as wooden, robotic, and lacking in musicality, charm, and personality. Baiul had musicality and charm in spades. She was faster than Nancy and her positions and body line and the way she moved is much more appealing to me than Kerrigan's style of skating. Even though at the time I thought Oksana's win in 1994 was controversial, I am definitely not a fan of Nancy's skating and did not want her to win. Now I completely understand why Oksana appealed to the judging panel more than Nancy did and I accept Baiul's victory. Baiul always exuded joy when she competed while Kerrigan always appeared to loathe competition, IMO.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 09-20-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I have actually really come to appreciate Oksana over recent years. This may be due to the fact that COP has created a world of ladies' skating where many of today's champions come across to me as wooden, robotic, and lacking in musicality, charm, and personality. Baiul had musicality and charm in spades. She was faster than Nancy and her positions and body line and the way she moved is much more appealing to me than Kerrigan's style of skating. Even though at the time I thought Oksana's win in 1994 was controversial, I am definitely not a fan of Nancy's skating and did not want her to win. Now I completely understand why Oksana appealed to the judging panel more than Nancy did and I accept Baiul's victory. Baiul always exuded joy when she competed while Kerrigan always appeared to loathe competition, IMO.
    I agree with the comparison to todays skaters. For me, the ones who come close to performing like Oksana would be Kostner, Czizny and the new Chinese Ladies champion has her performance quality, although more reserved.

vCash
    I loved Oksana. She was an incredible performer and I will forever be grateful that she beat Nancy Kerrigan. That being said, it feels like much of her amateur skating doesn't stand the test of time. I certainly don't think she's hated or ridiculed. IMHO Bonaly and Kerrigan (I admit to being guilty with regard to the latter) receive much more flack than she does on this forum.

vCash
    While I think Nancy did deserve the Olympic Gold medal that year, hindsight makes me so glad she didnt win it. She would have the worst attitude of any Olympic Champion ever, and she would also be yet another long of a too long list of recent Olympic Gold medal winners (Lysacek, Hughes, Navka & Kostomarov, Sale & Pelletier) who were completely generic and unremarkable in almost everyway and have no legacy in the sport beyond a title in the books. It used to be only a skater for the ages could even possibly win the Olympic Gold, but in recent times that seems to have changed. I also admit to being happy her fake and nauseating classy and sweet Ice Princess persona was busted for all to see. The real Nancy came out after that loss.

Baiul in her own way still is a legend, even with as much criticsm as she takes. Nobody disputes her artistic talent and potential, and the amazing quality of her solo jumps, and that despite not being the youngest ever to do anything she probably rose to the top faster from obscurity than anyone in history (including Lipinski). Her winning was a better result for the sport, although as it turned out maybe not for Baiul herself. She was probably the best artistic skater of the early 90s, including Yamaguchi, and Kwan cited her as an inspiration for her future artistry at one point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    This seems true. One of the reasons she is diminished, and maybe some extent Tara Lipinski as well, is that they won the largest of all competitions while they were changing and yet to be at their mature forms as women, skaters and artists. Oksana is not at all the balletic skater she was when she won, and she seems to have gone on to prefer a more Pop Diva approach to her numbers as a professional.

Maybe it is the skating after 1996 or so that she produced that is under-appreciated. I think she is unique in her dance studio, in-front-of-a-mirror style of choreography, which I appreciate. If she were a consistent jumper I would have enjoyed her pro skating much much more.
    One of the reasons she is diminished, and Tara Lipinski is indeed in the same situation, is that they won their OGMs against beloved ice princesses, disrupting the scenario their fans had written, ie gold for Kerrigan in 94, gold for Kwan in 98. Not saying all of their fans reacted like this, but I'm pretty sure a lot of resentment stems from pulling upsets like this.
    Touching the void.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Primorskaya View Post
    One of the reasons she is diminished, and Tara Lipinski is indeed in the same situation, is that they won their OGMs against beloved ice princesses, disrupting the scenario their fans had written, ie gold for Kerrigan in 94, gold for Kwan in 98. Not saying all of their fans reacted like this, but I'm pretty sure a lot of resentment stems from pulling upsets like this.
    where is/was kerrigan beloved? i always had the impression the usfsa pushed her but that's it. even some people who think she should have won are glad she didnt. even among americans, i think more people were drawn to oksana in 2 seasons than they were to nancy in 2 oly cycles.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Nancy beloved

Nancy did not deserve the wack and probably should have won the 1994 Olympics based on figure skating being an athletic sport. However, Nancy has done nothing to make herself beloved. In fact, Oksana is so much more beloved than Nancy. Gosh, I like Oksana better because she never looked down on her rewards for winning ...
    Last edited by bardtoob; 09-21-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Comansnala?
    vCash
    I loved Oksana! To me she was one of the most charismatic female skater ever (they aren't/weren't many, imo). I've rooted for her at Olympics '94; I'm still glad she won and she deserved it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    She wasn't underrated given what she actually did at the two big events she won.
    I think that she was very fortunate.
    I wonder what she might have become, had she not been "elevated" so quickly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I think that she was very fortunate.
    I wonder what she might have become, had she not been "elevated" so quickly.
    I think she would have lost her jumps with very little growth.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast