Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    "This is so corny", "She's just going to cry all of her makeup off again", "It's hard to get inspired to skate well, because we get paid the same no matter where we finish"
    I just don't think these are that bad If anything, they're true...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    It was said in a rather snotty/bitter way. I think if she'd said it in a different tone (or had been known as a sweet person rather than a bratty one) people wouldn't have made such a big deal out of it. It came off as very bitchy...which was fine b/c she was kind of a bitch but ya know...can't blame people for not liking her.

vCash
    Both the media and USFS put Nancy on a pedestal that she was never comfortable with; she was always blue collar Boston, not some refined princess. I think people tend to forget that the attack was both a physical assault and one on her pysche, and to comeback as she did was more than admirable. Losing the gold to Oksana had to be devastating, especially knowing that Oksana did not skate clean (two footed jumps) and that Nancy herself was affected because she blew the Worlds in 1993 with her usual erratic free skating that tumbled her off the podium. I think she finally cracked a little when the competition was over, and she just couldn't hold back how she felt. That said, her remarks were both ill-timed and rude, and the media jumped on them with glee.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Both the media and USFS put Nancy on a pedestal that she was never comfortable with; she was always blue collar Boston, not some refined princess.
    Agreed.

Though the word "princess" is used a fair bit when describing female American skaters. What exactly does it mean? What attributes and qualifications does one need? Obviously it's not "blue-collar Boston".

I think people tend to forget that the attack was both a physical assault and one on her pysche, and to comeback as she did was more than admirable.
    Well said. She was still a young woman, dealing with a stressful, surreal situation, and a snowballing amount of pressure and attention. Who knows how we'd react in such a world as hers.

That said, her remarks were both ill-timed and rude, and the media jumped on them with glee.
    I do agree. Whilst what she said wasn't -IMO - particularly terrible, it sounds like her delivery left much to be desired. Still, I also agree that "the media" love to pull down that which they've elevated. Or so it seems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I actually find the last two funny. It's just, this isn't the persona of the American Ice princess a la Peggy, Dorothy, Michelle. It's not so much about being blue collar, ( Kwan's background was as blue collar as they come) as it is, being measured and gracious when being put in the public eye. While her comments didn't bother me, I can see that they would rub many the wrong way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    I sincerely apologize if my response was very blunt, and I realize now that you clearly had very different impression in Europe as to how Kerrigan has been perceived by the US public.

It's just, considering some of her PR gaffes (i.e. "This is so corny", "She's just going to cry all of her makeup off again", "It's hard to get inspired to skate well, because we get paid the same no matter where we finish" ) plus the general way her skating and performance quality has been viewed over the years, hearing the terms 'beloved ice princess' when applied to Nancy Kerrigan sent me into a fit of giggles.
    OK, thanks for the clarification. And I could have expressed myself better: I don't personally think that of her, I never much liked her skating either, but that was the image I got from media representation of her in my part of the world. Funny how knowing things such as family background can inflect our perceptions. From seeing Nancy skate and hearing local commentary on her, I'd never have placed her as "Blue collar Boston" at the time.

And ITA with the comments about the press trying to make her into something she wasn't for the sake of a juicier story. Having her represented like this made the fall from grace even harder, she indeed had more than enough to deal with to care about being the second coming of Grace Kelly.
    And her bitchy comments were funny and quite true too, it's just that in hypocritical FS, you can't say out loud what everyone thinks. She probably just should have said no to the Disney parade though hehe.
    Touching the void.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I've always cut Nancy slack for her remarks. I have no way of knowing how any other skater would have handled the situation since no other skater had to face a physical attack that could have led to "the end of a dream" or permanent maiming.Without question, it had to have had an effect on her emotionally, particularly when the other scenarios came to light, cutting Achilles tendon, murder, etc.

vCash
    Not going to lie. If I was waiting for like 45 minutes to receive a medal and was told the gold medalist was the reason why we couldn't start due to her retouching her make-up, I'd totally laugh if someone made a comment like Nancy's. I thought it was particularly observant because Oksana was already known for her histrionics and over-the-top reactions. I understand her reaction was probably a mix of utter joy and relief and sadness since she lost her mother and really did come from poverty. However, I'm sure other skaters (who I assume are a pretty snarky bunch like any close-knit community tends to be) were probably tired of her antics which would only blow up when she turned pro.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 09-24-2013 at 01:29 PM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I remember reading years ago that the members of the media didn't like either Nancy or Tonya very much during the whole drama. They knew that when Tonya was being nice, she was putting on an act and lying through her teeth, and then she'd go the opposite direction and blow up when pushed. I'm a Nancy fan, but if you've ever watched her in old interviews, her discomfort is obvious; you see her scrunching up her nose and frowning and not giving much information. The media folks felt they weren't getting enough from her. Not that it was fair to Nancy, but when she let go with her real feelings at the end of the Olympics, the media dogs were ready to attack and as I said before, did so with glee.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    I remember Nancy said that it was so uncomfortable under the media spotlight all the time. Even when she went to the cafeteria, the other athletes whispered about the infamous girl who got whacked. She had contrasted it with how carefree and exciting it was for her at the previous Olys in Albertville. I suppose a person could only hold out under such scrutiny for so long. I know her remarks were rather unfortunate, but I also found her honesty refreshing. There's more than one kind of lady skater, they don't all have to cut out of the same ice princess mold.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234