Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

vCash

2014 US Adult Sectionals & Nationals

Since adult eastern sectionals and adult nationals are both near me, I hope to compete in 2014. I've never done this before, and I need to know what types of events are available to compete in, and what the rules are for each. There's no info up on the USFS website, or on the websites of the clubs hosting these events, regarding this. Does anyone know of any resources that can help me? Links online, etc? Thanks!

I'm looking for things like what events are available, what is needed for each event, length of music, etc.

Anyone else hoping to compete?
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 09-19-2013 at 02:55 PM.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Can you tell us what your test levels are, and then you can get a lot more specific information.

vCash
    And what disciplines you skate? AN offers events in FS, pairs, and dance (solo and partnered). Your test level will determine which level you can skate at and the rules.

Here are last year's announcements...they don't change much from year to year.

Easterns: http://www.usfigureskating.org/conte...201.3.2013.pdf

Nationals: http://www.usfigureskating.org/conte...01.20.2013.pdf

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    And what disciplines you skate? AN offers events in FS, pairs, and dance (solo and partnered). Your test level will determine which level you can skate at and the rules.
    Yup. My coach simply told me to "find out" about what I'd do in adult nationals. Beyond "find out about", I've got nothin' to base any of this on, other than my own vague memories of past threads here. I tried searching FSU, but got too many unrelated results.

I am pre-silver in ice dance, pre-bronze adult MITF, no freestyle tests.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    You can skate bronze or pre-silver solo dance, depending on how many pre-silver dances you have passed, I think interpretive (dramatic or comedy) - not sure what level and it might be that you have to be silver to be able to skate interp without freestyle tests, and no freestyle unless you pass your Bronze MITF and Freestyle by the deadline. If you're lucky enough to have a partner, you could also skate couple dance. If you are lucky enough to have a partner and both of you are over 50, you can skate centennial dance.

This is all in the rule book.

Sectionals may or may not allow no-test freestyle and the like. Depends on the club holding the event.

vCash
    For Nationals, you can enter up to 4 events. Pre-Silver dance is an open event, which means you do not need to qualify through sectionals. You could enter both as part of a couple and as a solo dancer (two different events). I believe that you are also qualified to enter the artistic competitions which are offered in Dramatic and Interpretive (again, no qualification necessary), but not entirely sure since you don't have higher MITF tests.

These same events will be available at your sectionals. You may also be able to skate up to Pre-Bronze freeskate or skate no test at sectionals, depending on how they run their non-qualifying competition (skating up is not possible at Nationals, and the first freeskate level is Bronze).
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 09-19-2013 at 04:12 PM.

vCash
    According to the rulebook, if you wanted to skate the Interpretive events, you would have to skate at the Silver level.

Adult Silver Dramatic Skate and Adult Silver Light Entertainment Skate
    A. Test qualifications as of the closing date for entries: Must meet the requirements for the adult silver free skate event, have passed the adult silver pair test or have passed at least one pre-silver dance test but no pre-gold dance tests (see rule 4700).
    (Emphasis on or is mine.) The Bronze level excludes you if you have passed a pre-silver test.

The Duration is 1:40.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Here's your rule book link: http://www.usfsa.org/New_Judging.asp?id=361

Interp starts on page 157, dance on page 203.

vCash
    Thanks to all of you for all of this. I'd been to the rulebook, but hadn't known where to look.

I have pre-bronze MITF, no FS test, and one pre-silver dance test. From what I can tell from what you all have said, and from the links to the rule book, that means that I can do the following:

- Adult bronze solo dance (must have passed all pre-bronze dance tests, and no more than one pre-silver dance test)

- Adult pre-bronze singles free skate (must have passed no higher than adult pre-bronze FS test - so I'm assuming I can do this without any FS tests at all?)

- Adult silver dramatic skate, or Adult silver light entertainment skate (Can have passed one pre-silver dance test)

There is no pre-bronze singles free skate at adult nationals, but there may be one at adult sectionals. The other events I listed are competed at both sectionals and nationals.

Am I interpreting all this correctly? Please correct me where I am wrong!

vCash
    Yep, that sounds about right. Skating PB free without any tests will depend on how they word the announcement. Non-qualifying competitions have some freedom to set their own rules, but if they have a PB event, they'd probably be happy to take your money.

vCash
    Yes, you are correct. There is no Pre-Bronze FS offered at Adult Nats, and you can't skate up a level there. However, you can in the non-qualifying events (everything except Championship Gold and Masters) at Sectionals. Usually, Sectionals offers PB FS so you could compete in that event. If they don't offer PB, they may let you compete Bronze - it never hurts to ask.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    You should also eligible for Pre-Silver Solo Dance. (Passed all bronze but no more than one silver.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    You should also eligible for Pre-Silver Solo Dance. (Passed all bronze but no more than one silver.)
    I agree.
    But you likely can't enter both in the same competition- you'd have to pick a level.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Yes - I believe you have to pick one or the other. Unlike interpretive, where you can do both dramatic and light entertainment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I agree.
    But you likely can't enter both in the same competition- you'd have to pick a level.
    Based on the state of my solo dancing, I'd better pick bronze.

vCash
    For the Adult pre-bronze singles free skate, the Adult silver dramatic skate, and the Adult silver light entertainment skate, can you use music with words? And for the solo dance, is it like a dance test, where the music pretty much is what the music is?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    For the Adult pre-bronze singles free skate, the Adult silver dramatic skate, and the Adult silver light entertainment skate, can you use music with words?
    Yes.

And for the solo dance, is it like a dance test, where the music pretty much is what the music is?
    I think so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    For the Adult pre-bronze singles free skate, the Adult silver dramatic skate, and the Adult silver light entertainment skate, can you use music with words? And for the solo dance, is it like a dance test, where the music pretty much is what the music is?
    You can use music with words for all those categories. It is still somewhat rare in the freeskates, but almost expected in the dramatic/light entertainment. Light entertainment especially you act out a character. (If you have icenetwork check out the archives- some people go all out!) Dramatic you could be a character, or you can 'evoke the feeling' of the music. (Well, you can do that in LE too, but more people play characters.)

I don't dance, but I'm 99% sure the solo dance is the compulsory dances (that part I know) and the music is predetermined (that part I'm almost certain).

vCash
    Yes, the solo dance event is compulsory dances, and they provide the music. They have several standard selections for each dance, which get rotated. You don't know in advance which music you'll actually skate to, so it's to your benefit to practice to as many selections as possible.

vCash
    I think I've decided to do the solo dance. I need to talk to my coach about which level is best. I'm in the middle of preparing to test a second pre-silver dance, so we'd either do that, or not, depending on what level we decide is best for me to skate at. I'm not in it to win it. I just don't want to totally embarrass myself.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast