Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    In retrospect, the most amazing program last night came from Peter and Kitty Carruthers. I could swear that Kitty wore than red-and-white jumper outfit during her competitive days. They looked that amazing and performed magnificently.
    Kitty coaches regularly at a rink just outside Houston, so she's still on the ice quite a bit. Agree that she looks amazing! :) Her son BJ Conrad is a pretty decent skater himself and was competing very well as a novice last I heard. Incidentally, Paul Wylie's mom is also at the same rink (I think she works with Kitty's son too).

Quote Originally Posted by missing
    So I figured Alissa was asked to fill in for someone who was scheduled to skate to that particular song, and simply used some boilerplate choreography (which, because she's Alissa, was graceful and lovely and delightful to watch).
    That makes sense, especially given that Scotty McCreery didn't sing many songs - a good thing, since most Disson programs to live singers are somewhat lacking choreographically. I think Sylvia noted upthread that her picture replaced Ross Miner's on the site. Otherwise, I thought perhaps she had been asked before she had officially withdrawn from Sectionals, when she was technically still an Olympic hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by missing
    I assume they'll tone down the crowd noise for the lutz that will make it onto TV, because the way we cheered you would have thought it was a quad axel quad lutz in combination.
    :) I was wondering if they would as well because the crowd was deafening, but think I've definitely seen broadcasts in the past where the cheering for a particular jump seemed unusually loud and out of place in a program. Guess we'll find out. Max seemed like he really appreciated the audience's support though and came out to talk to audience members after the show.

--

Thought people might like to see Belbin & Agosto, Adam Rippon, Gracie Gold, some Paul Wylie retakes, and Alissa Czisny. :)

vCash
    Thanks so much, marysy!

Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Thanks so much for the awesome reports! So excited to see this show on TV!! Any idea what Marissa and Simon's music was?
    Tweeted by @NickMcCarvel at the show last night:
    .@MarissaCastelli/ @SimonShnapir bringing down the #AmericanLegends house w Lorde's "Royals." He just bowed to her on the queen lyric #brill
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Sarah was not one of the standouts, doing a duet with her young niece who bested her in at least one move (sorry, i dont remember which). It didnt look like she's doing much skating these days - but I have to give her credit for a stunning camel position. That image could be on a book cover.

Were there any other kids of skaters in the show? Actually, Sarah tweets quite a bit about skating and talks about Doug Webster being her choreographer.

Thanks for all of the reports. Really looking forward to seeing The Carruthers.

vCash
    Thank you to everyone for reports/links and special shout-out to marysy for videos!

I'm one of the few that never had a problem with Gracie's SP. This music is 'easier' on the ears I suppose but other than that I see nothing special choreography-wise in this new SP.

vCash
    Thanks for the reports, videos, and pics.

Can't wait to see this televised on February 1, 2014. Looking forward to seeing most of all Dick Button (two time Olympic Gold Medalist from the 40's & 50's), Tenley Albright (first American woman to win Olympic Gold in 1956), Carol Heiss Jenkins (Olympic Gold Medalist in 1960), and the Jenkins Bros. (1960's Olympic Gold Medalists; brothers to boot!) , whom in my mind are truly the living legends because of their age and accomplishments.

Everything else is icing on the cake, especially glimpses of those whom may become first time Olympians in a few months time.

vCash
    Thank you, Sylvia for posting the link to the getty images, and marysy for your videos!

Masters of the spread eagle - Brian, Paul, Jonathan - I could watch all three of them all day & night doing them!

Wyliefan, proud to be a long time member of the Paul Wylie club.

Gabby Marvaldi was sitting with her mom, Isabelle B. just across the aisle from us. She didn't skate in the show, but it was a pleasure talking to them. After the show, I got to speak to Kate Wylie (I thought I recognized her from the Family Tribute Show), and she was so gracious. Ditto for Doug Wilson (of ABC Sports), who has a brand new book When the World Was Our Stage.Just got the book, and now I've got to get "Uncle" Dickie's new book, Push Dick's Button.

RD, looking forward to your still pics, whenever you have a chance to share them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Who should have been there from the current crop of Sochi hopefuls: JASON BROWN. Phooey for not having called him. Oh...and DAVIS/WHITE, who have the greatest chance among ANY Team USA skaters of earning gold medals.
    I don't know about Davis/White, but Jason has final exams this week.

vCash
    RD, looking forward to your still pics, whenever you have a chance to share them.
    Watch the social media space...they're coming. May wait until show airs to post many of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Watch the social media space...they're coming. May wait until show airs to post many of them.

When is the show airing on TV? Really appreciate all the reports, pictures, etc., from everyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    That's too long for us to wait!

NBC air date is:
    Saturday, February 1, 2014
    2:30 – 4:30 PM EST
    (Check your local listings)

Re. Davis/White: All the other current national champions were invited from the beginning so they must have been as well but declined.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I don't know about Davis/White, but Jason has final exams this week.
    Yep...via Twitter:

Jason Brown ‏@jasonbskates 2m
    Final exams have been taken & I just dropped off my final English paper! Another semester has ended...Time to catch back up on sleep! ��

vCash
    Facebook:

The Skating Lesson
    The lovely Lauren Behr attended the Tribute to American Legends of the Ice and was gracious enough to share her experience with TSL.

http://www.theskatinglesson.com/amer...y-lauren-behr/

vCash
    That's a very well-written review.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    That's a very well-written review.
    I agree http://www.theskatinglesson.com/amer...y-lauren-behr/ is very well written and spot on with her observations.
    I saw the show and was really impressed. I don't have much to add after reading Lauren's review, but I will try.

For me the standing ovations that were also standouts:
    Marissa and Simon:
    They were so cool and hip, loved their number it was edgy and entertaining. Shocking edge of your seat head banger, relaxed and confident. I really loved it.

Adam:

The best of the hopefuls, lightening fast centered spins, stunning signature Rippon lutz, amazing height on his split jump and killer spread eagle he sold this number with 100% commitment. I saw some people from where he used to skate in NJ after the show and they commented how Adam had moved to an entirely new level this season. They were really happy for him.

Paul, Nancy & Brian:
    Amazing...I was back in 1988, 1992 and 1994 rooting for all my favs all over again! Paul trimmed down and looked in skating shape, Nancy too, Brian looked like he was still touring.

Honorable Mention:
    Peter for a 1 arm press lift and Kitty for trusting him to launch it.
    Ashley for pushing through obvious jet lag and looking like a pro!
    Scottie McC for acting like he was interested in figure skating (He was very gracious to a mob of kids from the Boys and Girls club)
    Steve Dission for putting together a recipe for a show that may attract a viable audience. (Old timers welcome the next generation of professionals)

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mjames View Post
    I agree http://www.theskatinglesson.com/amer...y-lauren-behr/ is very well written and spot on with her observations.
    I saw the show and was really impressed. I don't have much to add after reading Lauren's review, but I will try.

For me the standing ovations that were also standouts:
    Marissa and Simon:
    They were so cool and hip, loved their number it was edgy and entertaining. Shocking edge of your seat head banger, relaxed and confident. I really loved it.

Adam:

The best of the hopefuls, lightening fast centered spins, stunning signature Rippon lutz, amazing height on his split jump and killer spread eagle he sold this number with 100% commitment. I saw some people from where he used to skate in NJ after the show and they commented how Adam had moved to an entirely new level this season. They were really happy for him.

Paul, Nancy & Brian:
    Amazing...I was back in 1988, 1992 and 1994 rooting for all my favs all over again! Paul trimmed down and looked in skating shape, Nancy too, Brian looked like he was still touring.

Honorable Mention:
    Peter for a 1 arm press lift and Kitty for trusting him to launch it.
    Ashley for pushing through obvious jet lag and looking like a pro!
    Scottie McC for acting like he was interested in figure skating (He was very gracious to a mob of kids from the Boys and Girls club)
    Steve Dission for putting together a recipe for a show that may attract a viable audience. (Old timers welcome the next generation of professionals)
    Was very happy to read all of the positive reviews of Adam's performance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Were there any other kids of skaters in the show? Actually, Sarah tweets quite a bit about skating and talks about Doug Webster being her choreographer.
    Sarah's niece was the only one. Perhaps Doug Webster was choreographing a different number for her? I believe she made an appearance at the Today Show skating at Rockefeller Center recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins
    Thank you to everyone for reports/links and special shout-out to marysy for videos!
    Thanks! Glad to be of service. ;)

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marysy View Post
    Sarah's niece was the only one. Perhaps Doug Webster was choreographing a different number for her? I believe she made an appearance at the Today Show skating at Rockefeller Center recently.

Thanks! Glad to be of service.
    I know that Sarah opened a rink at the seaport recently.

Thanks for your review.

vCash
    Any other videos of the show out there? I love, love the ones posted. Thank you!

vCash
    Twitter:

Disson Skating ‏@DissonSkating 4m
    Our next show is @PGeveryday & @Walmart Tribute to American Legends of the Ice on February 1 at 4:30 p.m. EST!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast