Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Back from NJ. Wow, what a great show! I especially loved seeing the Carrutherses back on the ice....and the Roz/Linda duet.

Gracie's new SP is 100% better than the earlier weird mess. This one has BEAUTIFUL, CLASSICAL music (Grieg piano concerto) and an elegant dress. Gracie looks so much better than before. She now looks Olympic-worthy. Brava!
    Sounds like Gold's new SP is a typical Nichol "makeover" ;-), with Frank's blessing of course.

Saw the photo of the dress (I am assuming this is the new SP dress): http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...hoto/455234531
    elegant, perhaps alittle too dark for the music? But, certainly has Frank's stamp on it, both the music and the dress.

I am still confused as to why Czisny was invited? She is not an Olympian, not a potential Olympian for Sochi. Everyone else on the roster fell into those categories.
    Last edited by B.Cooper; 12-12-2013 at 02:04 PM.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Thanks so much for the awesome reports! So excited to see this show on TV!! Any idea what Marissa and Simon's music was?
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Photos via Getty Images

Thanks for the detailed reports, marysy and Spun Silver!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I would assume Alissa was a last minute substitution.

She skated to a ghastly Scotty McCreery song ("round here people don't eat until they say Amen"), but pretty much except for the fact her routine started when the song started and ended when the song ended, there was no connection between the two (Adam Rippon skated right after, and you could see how thoughtfully his piece had been choreographed).

So I figured Alissa was asked to fill in for someone who was scheduled to skate to that particular song, and simply used some boilerplate choreography (which, because she's Alissa, was graceful and lovely and delightful to watch).

My friend and I got to the event late, but what we saw, we loved. We stayed through the retakes, which gave us a chance to see Max Aaron's number. One of the falls he took on his retake lutz was very big, but probably led to more of a black and blue mark than an injury. I assume they'll tone down the crowd noise for the lutz that will make it onto TV, because the way we cheered you would have thought it was a quad axel quad lutz in combination.

I liked Gracie Gold's new short program, but I'm predisposed to like Gracie Gold, and had also liked her old short program. My concern had been it was going to be too soft and lyrical and pastelish, but it built to a strong climax and her dress was stunning.

vCash
    Great show last night! As for Gold's new short, it is a little better than what she had before, but that's it - only a little.

Piece was still soft/lyrical style and seeing it live, it didn't wow me. Very ordinary/forgettable as someone else put it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by honey View Post
    I like that dress on Gracie. Interesting that (I think) it's actually her sister's. Maybe it's just a placeholder until hers is made, but I think that style suits her.

http://instagram.com/p/RyItABMATq/
    http://instagram.com/p/fydMj6MAfj/
    Who is who on the podium. I don't recognize any of them.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    sarah is really arrogant if she thinks she is such a great skater she can do 0 jumps at her age and still add value. i have more respect for the ones that dont pretend to have a program.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Who is who on the podium. I don't recognize any of them.
    3-time JGP competitor Barbie Long (tallest one in the second photo) won UGL Regionals this season. She will make her senior national debut in Boston. Gracie's twin, Carly, is on the left - sharp-eyed costume catch, honey!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks everyone for the reports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    sarah is really arrogant if she thinks she is such a great skater she can do 0 jumps at her age and still add value. i have more respect for the ones that dont pretend to have a program.
    Sarah was not one of the standouts, doing a duet with her young niece who bested her in at least one move (sorry, i dont remember which). It didnt look like she's doing much skating these days - but I have to give her credit for a stunning camel position. That image could be on a book cover.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Great show last night! As for Gold's new short, it is a little better than what she had before, but that's it - only a little.

Piece was still soft/lyrical style and seeing it live, it didn't wow me. Very ordinary/forgettable as someone else put it.
    I'll be interested to see it. Is the Grieg concerto the one that Miki Ando skated to back in 2011? If so, I don't think it's very lyrical--at least not at the beginning. (For the record, I love that music and think it is a great choice for Gracie).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Photos via Getty Images

Thanks for the detailed reports, marysy and Spun Silver!
    Well, it's apparent that Paul Wylie still has the best Ina Bauer by a man and Brian Boitano still has the best spread eagle by anyone ever. Incredible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nanigirl View Post
    Well, it's apparent that Paul Wylie still has the best Ina Bauer by a man and Brian Boitano still has the best spread eagle by anyone ever. Incredible.
    Jonathan Cassar, anyone? Definitely the best inside spread eagle I've ever seen, with no one else even close. Brian has a great outside spread eagle, though.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ext...hat-020113/14/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nanigirl View Post
    And I think Wylie's spread eagle is second only to Boitano's!

vCash
    Last night was a feast of spread eagles!

Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    I'll be interested to see it. Is the Grieg concerto the one that Miki Ando skated to back in 2011? If so, I don't think it's very lyrical--at least not at the beginning. (For the record, I love that music and think it is a great choice for Gracie).
    My memory of her music got all mixed up after i came home and started listening to chopin concerti etc. to figure out what it was. But if she did use the Grieg, this is the part of the concerto she used, starting after 2:35, where the piano comes in, so definitely a soft, lyrical mood to open with.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n_3oL89...%3Dn_3oL89ekHQ
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 12-12-2013 at 07:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Paul Wylie commanded the ice in a version of his Olympic skate. He was fast, confident, theatrical, landing all his jumps ( although he came back to do a better 2A) - everything people miss about 6.0 programs. He was the biggest highlight of the evening for me - I am now an official Wyliefan.
    Welcome to the club!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I attended last night, only took 2 hours to get home from NJ to Hartford! No traffic home. Worth the trip.
    The over 40 Olympians were so great - Paul, Brian and Nancy! Roz did not have the difficulty, but she really looked great! It was nice seeing Linda too, but she seemed a little tentative. The Carruthers were so good together, Kitty especially looks in great shape.
    Nice to see Tanith and Ben- they seemed happy to be performing together.
    The amateurs were also very good, Adam especially.
    I thought Agnes Z seems a bit more polished.
    I did not know who the male singer was and I am not a country fan, but he has a nice voice.
    When the men with Oly gold came out to intro Brian's solor - so cute how Evan is a head taller than Dick, Hayes and Scott! Cute visual!

vCash
    Wow! You guys are so lucky. If I lived within a 100 mile radius, I would have gone there.

vCash
    Sylvia - thank you for the answer to my question about the picture.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Sorry that Fleming, Hamill, Janet Lynn, Debi T. and Kwan not there. Or Olympic bronze medalist Tim Goebel, among the men. Or Blumberg/Siebert (yeah, even though they just missed out on an Oly medal in '84). Will there ever be an event in which all of the USA's Olympic medalists can show up? Guess not - sigh. On the other hand, it was great seeing all of those who showed up, whether or not skating. In retrospect, the most amazing program last night came from Peter and Kitty Carruthers. I could swear that Kitty wore than red-and-white jumper outfit during her competitive days. They looked that amazing and performed magnificently.

Who should have been there from the current crop of Sochi hopefuls: JASON BROWN. Phooey for not having called him. Oh...and DAVIS/WHITE, who have the greatest chance among ANY Team USA skaters of earning gold medals.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast