Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Interesting...Odd choice, however, given that she is not an Olympic contender...nor is she in the same league as the "legends" (with all due respect, of course).

Still -an already great lineup just got a little better...
    Well, I'd rather watch an injured Aliisa skate than some of "those legends"..

vCash
    Sarah Hughes tweeted this rehearsal photo (Kerrigan, Yamaguchi, Wylie, Boitano, P. & K. Carruthers in foreground): http://pic.twitter.com/JtNsaxElyK

USFS tweeted a similar photo from the other side of the rink (Dick Button? and Tenley Albright in the foreground): http://pic.twitter.com/P1cHAvy9ck

Sarah Hughes again via Twitter - video this time:
    @MaxTAaron nailing a QUAD sal!! @GraceEGold, @Evan_Bates & Olympic Champ Tenley Albright cheer!! ���� #AmericanLegends http://instagram.com/p/hyp2TRiEIL/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    For those who know me on social media I will try to post what I can during and after the show.

vCash
    Twitter:

Disson Skating ‏@DissonSkating 37m
    One hour until #AmericanLegends show time at the @IZODCenter! Skaters are just finishing up warm ups!
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BbPcv5FCcAEoi8e.jpg:large
    EDIT:

Disson Skating ‏@DissonSkating 23s
    Coming up next, @ScottyMcCreery and @MaxTAaron will "See You Tonight." #AmericanLegends
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BbPwCWNIQAAKgsI.jpg:large
    Last edited by dardar1126; 12-12-2013 at 12:57 AM.

vCash
    Just a quick note: Don't like Gracie's new SP. It's too soft and lyrical, like her FS. I didn't much like her original SP music, but darn she performed well to that music and the judges rewarded her for it. The new music does nothing for her!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    what was her new music?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    So inpressed by the oldies! Brian B. Paul W. Nancy K. They got out there and skated! Good for them! A round of motrin and some bags of ice on me! Congratulations!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    what was her new music?
    Someone named Janet tweeted this https://twitter.com/excelerate_/stat...91367662215168

vCash
    Quick recap. Going from memory, those who skated a number:
    Ashley Wagner, Max Aaron, Rosalynn Sumners/Linda Fratianne/Brian Boitano, Peter and Kitty Carruthers, Castelli and Schnapir, Sarah Hughes with her niece, Chock and Bates, Agnes Zawadski, Paul Wylie, Alissa Czisny, Adam Rippon, Belbin and Agosto, Nancy Kerrigan, Gracie Gold, Brian Boitano.

Many of the skaters who were listed on the program not in the above list (besides the Jenkins, Albright, Button) made an appearance on skates in the finale, but didn't do much. The "legends" all lined up at the beginning according to their Olympic year, and those who didn't skate a program (i.e. Sasha Cohen, Tara Lipinski, Evan Lysacek) announced the others. Kristi Yamaguchi and Michael Weiss (the hosts) also did a short interview with Dan Jensen, Bonnie Blair, and Jim Craig.

Among the old timers:
    - Rosalynn Sumners and Linda Fratianne - quite lovely, and Roz especially looked in good shape.
    - Paul Wylie and Nancy Kerrigan both skated routines to music from their Olympic programs. Paul's skating is still so powerful and big and a joy to watch.
    - Audience loved Brian Boitano, who skated to "Bring Him Home," and he even did a triple combination (3T-2T).
    - The Carruthers - Don't think they've skated together in quite awhile, but it was great to see them together. Kitty looks great!
    - Belbin and Agosto did a really beautiful number to "A Thousand Years." She didn't quite get up on his skate for an element (lift? She basically was balanced on his skates and arched her back towards him) during the number but got it on the first try in retakes.

The current crop:
    - Chock and Bates did their short dance.
    - Agnes did "I Will Always Love You" and her skating looked quite polished live, big jumps!
    - Max did a country-ish number that played to the audience. I think he attempted a 3A in the original program but turned out on the landing but only did a 2A in the retakes. He popped a 3Lz originally and had some trouble getting a clean one in the retakes, but audience was really supportive once he finally got it.
    - Alissa skated to a Scotty McCreery number and did a really nice double axel and wonderful spins, as always.
    - Adam did "A Song for You" - gorgeous Rippon 3Lz, blindingly fast back scratch spin. Really impressed with his number, since it could've easily just been skate around/do an element here or there, but he really committed to the performance and sold it.
    - Gracie did her new SP. A piano concerto, slower tempo at the beginning, with a more dramatic and up-tempo cut in the second half. The beginning worked well for her, arms a bit flaily in the second half, but overall, I thought it was more suitable for her than the Three Preludes SP. 3Lz-3T (two-footed, redid it twice in retakes), 3Lo, 2A.
    - Rousing number for Castelli and Schnapir, daring tricks, very crowd pleasing.

Was slightly surprised that Sasha and Tara didn't perform, and while Sarah's program with her niece was cute (they were dressed in matching outfits), she herself didn't skate much (no jumps, one combination spin).

Quite a few retakes at the end (Boitano, Wylie, Gold, Belbin and Agosto, Aaron), with Renee Roca directing them. Fun to see and most of the audience stayed. Michael Weiss even did a back flip to entice people to stay. A decent-sized crowd for a Wednesday evening, and at the end, the entire group took a group photo on the ice, and some of the skaters stuck around to talk to the audience. Max and Nancy especially stuck around for quite some time. Also, there weren't many programs with Scotty McCreery - he sang America the Beautiful for the finale, but otherwise only 2-3 of the individual numbers were to his singing.

Overall, a more enjoyable show than I expected it to be...I thought there'd be a little more skating, but the exhibitions by the current crop were mostly very good. It was also just lovely to see some of the sentimental favorites still bring it (like Paul Wylie) or skate again after not having seen them in awhile (Sumners, the Carruthers, Belbin and Agosto).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Grieg Piano Concerto in A minor is correct - at least the first part of her program comes from the second movement. Beginning of her program is this (2m27 sec into video): http://youtu.be/6AgjXaMsBVM?t=2m27s

vCash
    I wasn't there, but I found a pic of Gracie online. She wore an elegant black dress with a high neckline and sheer long sleeves.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...hoto/455234531

vCash
    Gracie's new short isn't going to blow anyone's mind but I think its fine. Music less frantic and she, as a result, seems less frantic too. The arms are calmed down. The dress is better. The jumps looked good. You can feel Lori & Frank crafting this.

Adam sold the hell out of his program and looks extremely strong & well trained.

Castelli & Shnapir's new exhibition is brilliantly designed for them. I would say they got the most cheers after Boitano. They were clearly having a great time and the audience ate it up. Good for them.

vCash
    I had a wonderful time at the show tonight. An FSU lurker bought my extra ticket and we had great fun discussing all the routines and awarding the medals at Sochi. There was only one fall the whole night and I think it was in a retake.

Uncle Dick did not set foot on the ice and only had a line or two to speak. Evan did not skate. Sasha and Tara only stroked around in the finale. Kristi did not skate, nor did Scott or most of the older Olympians.

On the other hand:

A lot of the skates were to live country music by Scott somebody from AI, who was standing in the audience a few rows behind me. Ashley opened up to a number about how much trouble women are with all their eyelash-batting and heart-breaking. She had fun with it and you'd never have known she was under any Olympic pressure.

Paul Wylie commanded the ice in a version of his Olympic skate. He was fast, confident, theatrical, landing all his jumps ( although he came back to do a better 2A) - everything people miss about 6.0 programs. He was the biggest highlight of the evening for me - I am now an official Wyliefan.

Second biggest highlight was Tanith and Ben skating with immense joy and chemistry in a romantic number that almost made me cry. They must not be allowed to retire from show skating ever again!

Brian Boitano glided into an angelic duet by Rosalyn Summers and Linda Fratianne, and then did a solo full of huge spread eagles and and a triple or two. Did retakes of a couple of jumps even though the mistakes were minor.

Simon and Marissa wowed everyone with their gorgeous lifts and big tricks.

Peter and Kitty Carruthers were the bee's knees. Her death spiral is still *fabulous* and next time you listen to him comment, just remember, this gray-haired guy can still do a one-handed overhead lift.

It is annoying me no end that I cannot place Gracie's very familiar SP music. Something Chopin-like. She doubled and two-footed the 2nd jump of her opening combo but otherwise did fine. The program is lyrical and pretty, but forgettable... I don't hate it, but surely she would get more choreography points for the Gershwin SP after the way she improved it.

The only fall of the night was from Max. He looked great in a plaid shirt and jeans (with flashes of midriff) but had troubles with two of three jumps. I think the fall was in his retakes. It took him four tries to land his lutz right, nonetheless, he looked very natural and charming skating to country music.

Adam was beautiful, taut, and looked Sochi-bound IMO.

Nancy Kerrigan muscled her way through a watered down version of her Olympic program and even did a triple. These Olympians do not hang up their hats!

Agnes was the wonderful, relaxed, happy skater landing all her jumps that we keep looking for in competition. She skated to "I will always love you" which thrilled the Girl Scouts sitting in back of me. They sang along at the top of their lungs, as they did in a couple of other songs too, and you could tell Agnes was cracking up.

Chock and Bates were, along with Wylie and Boitano, my husband's favorite performers of the night. They did their Hollywood Finnstep SD and Madison was, as usual, delightfully over the top.

I had front row seats, to my surprise and joy. After it was over, I realized to my embarrassment that my unbounded enthusiasm is liable to get me on TV (that, and sitting in front of the adorable Girl Scouts). I clapped until my hands were sore, yelled for almost every skater, and cheered on all those hoping to make it to Sochi. I am the middle-aged woman in the black turtleneck.

vCash
    For me, Paul Wylie blew everyone else out of the water. His reprise of Henry V was masterful and fully performed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lilshorty View Post
    I wasn't there, but I found a pic of Gracie online. She wore an elegant black dress with a high neckline and sheer long sleeves.

She looks elegant. The dress is Kerrigan-esque.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Thanks for all of the reports, sounded like a wonderful show!

vCash
    Thanks for all the reports. Can't wait to see this when it is televised.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I had a wonderful time at the show tonight. An FSU lurker bought my extra ticket and we had great fun discussing all the routines and awarding the medals at Sochi. There was only one fall the whole night and I think it was in a retake.

Uncle Dick did not set foot on the ice and only had a line or two to speak. Evan did not skate. Sasha and Tara only stroked around in the finale. Kristi did not skate, nor did Scott or most of the older Olympians.

On the other hand:

A lot of the skates were to live country music by Scott somebody from AI, who was standing in the audience a few rows behind me. Ashley opened up to a number about how much trouble women are with all their eyelash-batting and heart-breaking. She had fun with it and you'd never have known she was under any Olympic pressure.

Paul Wylie commanded the ice in a version of his Olympic skate. He was fast, confident, theatrical, landing all his jumps ( although he came back to do a better 2A) - everything people miss about 6.0 programs. He was the biggest highlight of the evening for me - I am now an official Wyliefan.

Second biggest highlight was Tanith and Ben skating with immense joy and chemistry in a romantic number that almost made me cry. They must not be allowed to retire from show skating ever again!

Brian Boitano glided into an angelic duet by Rosalyn Summers and Linda Fratianne, and then did a solo full of huge spread eagles and and a triple or two. Did retakes of a couple of jumps even though the mistakes were minor.

Simon and Marissa wowed everyone with their gorgeous lifts and big tricks.

Peter and Kitty Carruthers were the bee's knees. Her death spiral is still *fabulous* and next time you listen to him comment, just remember, this gray-haired guy can still do a one-handed overhead lift.

It is annoying me no end that I cannot place Gracie's very familiar SP music. Something Chopin-like. She doubled and two-footed the 2nd jump of her opening combo but otherwise did fine. The program is lyrical and pretty, but forgettable... I don't hate it, but surely she would get more choreography points for the Gershwin SP after the way she improved it.

The only fall of the night was from Max. He looked great in a plaid shirt and jeans (with flashes of midriff) but had troubles with two of three jumps. I think the fall was in his retakes. It took him four tries to land his lutz right, nonetheless, he looked very natural and charming skating to country music.

Adam was beautiful, taut, and looked Sochi-bound IMO.

Nancy Kerrigan muscled her way through a watered down version of her Olympic program and even did a triple. These Olympians do not hang up their hats!

Agnes was the wonderful, relaxed, happy skater landing all her jumps that we keep looking for in competition. She skated to "I will always love you" which thrilled the Girl Scouts sitting in back of me. They sang along at the top of their lungs, as they did in a couple of other songs too, and you could tell Agnes was cracking up.

Chock and Bates were, along with Wylie and Boitano, my husband's favorite performers of the night. They did their Hollywood Finnstep SD and Madison was, as usual, delightfully over the top.

I had front row seats, to my surprise and joy. After it was over, I realized to my embarrassment that my unbounded enthusiasm is liable to get me on TV (that, and sitting in front of the adorable Girl Scouts). I clapped until my hands were sore, yelled for almost every skater, and cheered on all those hoping to make it to Sochi. I am the middle-aged woman in the black turtleneck.

Thanks for all of your observations. You must have been sitting right near us. We were in the same section! It was a total privilege to see Paul reprise his magnificent "Henry V!" I was amazed that he & Brian came back to do retakes. A delightful evening, all in all!

I do hope Ross Miner is recovering well following his withdrawal from TEB.
    Last edited by paskatefan; 12-12-2013 at 11:59 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lilshorty View Post

I like that dress on Gracie. Interesting that (I think) it's actually her sister's. Maybe it's just a placeholder until hers is made, but I think that style suits her.

http://instagram.com/p/RyItABMATq/
    http://instagram.com/p/fydMj6MAfj/

vCash
    Back from NJ. Wow, what a great show! I especially loved seeing the Carrutherses back on the ice....and the Roz/Linda duet.

Gracie's new SP is 100% better than the earlier weird mess. This one has BEAUTIFUL, CLASSICAL music (Grieg piano concerto) and an elegant dress. Gracie looks so much better than before. She now looks Olympic-worthy. Brava!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast