Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    My jaw dropped at the mention of Dick Button on ice. He was on ice at Battle of the Blades a few years ago and looked rather wobbley. Kurt very quietly moved to his side and steadied him.
    Dick had his accident while skating on an outdoor rink when he was in his early 70's. That was over 10 years ago now, I think. Kudos to him for still being outside skating for fun in his 70's, but I'm sure he's been more cautious since that injury, and I respect him for using his experience to volunteer as a spokesperson for the Brain Injury Association.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I am envious of you east coast residents. You get so many skating performances- competitions and otherwise...........Sigh.
    Well, we did lose the Family Skating Tribute in Atlantic City last year, due to Hurricane Sandy (Phoenix got it instead). Grateful that it will be @ Penn State on 11/3. Yes, we have been lucky (some Skate Americas on the East Coast in the past), Boston & Greensboro Nationals coming up in 2014 & 2015, respectively. OTOH, the West Coast has also had several Nationals, Skate Americas, Worlds (in Los Angeles), etc., so hopefully it will balance out. I'm not trying to ignore the middle of the US, either.

vCash
    This sounds like a great one, hopefully it gets televised!

As the years pass I appreciate Mr. Button more & more, no telling how much longer he'll be around, especially with the recent passing of Miss Barbara Ann Scott last year.

Here's hoping there'll be a television event that brings together the surviving Olympic Champions from around the World. (last time they had one was way back in the mid 90's; still have it on VHS, lol).

ETA: I recall how sad Mr. Button was when Barbara passed, probably thinking of his own mortality, as he's only 1 yr. younger than her, and is the same age as her when she passed last year...
    Last edited by NadineWhite; 09-26-2013 at 03:40 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    This sounds like a great one, hopefully it gets televised!

As the years pass I appreciate Mr. Button more & more, no telling how much longer he'll be around, especially with the recent passing of Miss Barbara Ann Scott last year.

Here's hoping there'll be a television event that brings together the surviving Olympic Champions from around the World. (last time they had one was way back in the mid 90's; still have it on VHS, lol).

ETA: I recall how sad Mr. Button was when Barbara passed, probably thinking of his own mortality, as he's only 1 yr. younger than her, and is the same age as her when she passed last year...

Airdate - according to the back cover of the latest issue of IFS Magazine - Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014 2:30 - 4:30 PM EST on NBC

vCash
    Got my ticket - planning to be there!

Seems to be a little confusion over who's just appearing in the show and who will actually perform...anybody "in the know" who can clear this up?

vCash
    Why are they advertising Evan as one of the skaters? Even if he is able to be back on the ice by then, he really shouldn't push himself skating in a show a few weeks before Nationals.

vCash
    RD, glad to hear that you're going! I would think that all of the Olympic eligible skaters will skate. The non-Olympic eligibles (pros) - I guess it depends on their health issues - I would doubt that Dick Button would skate in this, but just to see him there to be honored is worth it to us.

While we are very much looking forward to this show, I do have one bone to pick. I feel that the criteria for the pros should be broadened to include World champions/multi-time world medalists - not limited to Olympic medalists. Since this show showcases American legends, I think that Michelle Kwan & Todd Eldredge should have been invited to skate in this show. As World champs, multi-time World medalists, not to mention multi-time US National champs, IMHO those things should count (not to mention longevity in the sport)! Rant over!
    Last edited by paskatefan; 10-10-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    RD, glad to hear that you're going! I would think that all of the Olympic eligible skaters will skate. The non-Olympic eligibles (pros) - I guess it depends on their health issues - I would doubt that Dick Button would skate in this, but just to see him there to be honored is worth it to us.

While we are very much looking forward to this show, I do have one bone to pick. I feel that the criteria for the pros should be broadened to include World champions/multi-time world medalists - not limited to Olympic medalists. Since this show showcases American legends, I think that Michelle Kwan & Todd Eldredge should have been invited to skate in this show. As World champs, multi-time World medalists, not to mention multi-time US National champs, IMHO those things should count (not to mention longevity in the sport)! Rant over!
    Michelle was invited to the Tribute Show in Atlantic City in 2010. She declined.

vCash
    I don't think Michelle is skating much anymore, she has a new husband, a new job, and a very busy life, including preparing to work for Fox for the Olympics. Not exactly time to plan and practice a program. She has pretty much moved on to a new phase of her life.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Yeah, I think fans have to get used to MK not skating in shows any more. Too bad, because I would have liked to see her skate...and didn't do so the one time I had a chance (a chance I didn't know about until afterward!!)

vCash
    Catching Up with Gold Medalist Brian Boitano
    Olympic champion Brian Boitano talks about his role on the Tribute to American Legends of the Ice and his latest projects.
    (6 min. 30 sec. video): http://www.nbcnewyork.com/video/#!/o...tano/233560351

http://www.dissonskating.com/our-sho...ds-of-the-ice/
    Kristi Yamaguchi and Michael Weiss (co-hosts)

Cast & Special Appearances: Dick Button, Evan Lysacek, Sarah Hughes, Tara Lipinski, Kristi Yamaguchi, Brian Boitano, Carol Heiss Jenkins, Hayes Jenkins, Tenley Albright, Nancy Kerrigan, Sasha Cohen, Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto, Paul Wylie, Rosalynn Sumners, Kitty & Peter Carruthers, Linda Fratianne, Ashley Wagner, Max Aaron, Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir, Gracie Gold, Ross Miner, Adam Rippon, Agnes Zawadzki.

Rippon and Gold are new additions.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-27-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Why are they advertising Evan as one of the skaters? Even if he is able to be back on the ice by then, he really shouldn't push himself skating in a show a few weeks before Nationals.

vCash
    Rosalynn Sumners said she was going to do a duet with Linda Fratianne (if this is the event she was talking about in the interview I read). She didn't feel up to a solo so Disson arranged it. I would guess they want Evan to at least make an appearance as he is the reigning Olympic Champion. They could hardly not invite him.

vCash
    Maybe he's not planning to go to Nationals.

vCash
    I am going to this, too!

vCash
    The advertisement states "Cast & Special Appearances." There is no specific listing of which skaters will skate & which will make a special appearance. ;-)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    http://www.meadowlands.com/Events/P_...f_the_Ice.aspx

P&G & Walmart Tribute to American Legends of the Ice

Wednesday, December 11 at 7:30 PM

"A Celebration of the Great Tradition of American Skating"

Watch performances by current and past National and Olympic medalists including Brian Boitano, Dick Button, Ashley Wagner, Max Aaron, Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir, Ross Miner, Agnes Zawadzki, and many more. The show will be hosted by Kristi Yamaguchi and Michael Weiss.

Plus special musical guest performer Scotty McCreery will perform in the tribute to American skating legends before they head off to Sochi.

Tickets:
    $150, $75, $60, $40

Parking Lots Open:
    TBD

Parking Fee:
    Cars:
    Buses:

Doors Open:
    6:30 PM

Gee, I would love to go to this, here's hoping it's televised.

Seriously, all those names I love, and I can only imagine how fabulous the skating will be! Brings back so many memories of skating specials in the past...

vCash
    ^ airdate is February 1, I think (just in time for the Olympics)

vCash
    Posted: Tuesday December 3, 2013 3:33 AM

Legends hope to get skating back into spotlight

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - Brian Boitano has never spent time with Max Aaron, and he's looking forward to it as much as Aaron is.

Yep, the 1988 Olympic champion and American figure skating icon - the last U.S man to win a gold medal until Evan Lysacek pulled off the feat at Vancouver in 2010 - is eager to chat with the current U.S. champ. They'll do so next week before the Tribute to American Legends of the Ice show at the Izod Center on Dec. 11.
    Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2mRJESyFp

EDIT: I fixed this link.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 12-03-2013 at 07:43 PM.

vCash
    Here's a working link to the same Associated Press article by Barry Wilner: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2013/...ting-back.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast