Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    A bit confused here, VIETgirlTerifa - how are the Duggars benefiting from the system off our backs? They pay taxes for schools they are not using, they are self sufficient, and as far as I know, have totally supported themselves from the get go.
    It was a long time ago, but I remember reading an article about Jim Bob's creative mixing of finances and religion which means that not only is their house exempt from taxes because it is claimed as a church, but they don't pay sales tax on anything that goes into the home. I am unsure if that second part is accurate though. Then there are all those child tax credits. Anyway, there's also some economic calculations of the resources all of this kids are taking up that we will eventually pay for, even if the Duggars are directly paying for them or if they are donated by private actors.

I looked up health care cost of the Duggars, and there was some confusion regarding Jim Bob's Health Care provider and whether, as a former elected official from Arkansas, his family's health care was paid by the Arkansas tax payers. However, it seems like he pays for their insurance, except for Josie who ended up on Medicaid due to being premature and in serious health risk. That is unlike that other "famous" family, the Bates. With the Bates, the Patriarch claimed that his family has no health insurance and they go to the ER for all their medical needs. Apparently, the medical costs are written off, so who gets to pay for those procedures?

I'm not usually one who will be quick to criticize people who find cracks in the system and take advantage of them due to a number of reasons, but I don't think it's quite accurate to say that the Duggars or families like them are totally self-sufficient and haven't benefitted from the system at a cost to taxpayers (local or national). At least the kids will pay into social security (assuming that they have jobs where their salary incurs a payroll tax).
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    ^^ in CA - the tax exemption on your home has to do with property taxes, and not the income taxes that go to pay for schools. Also, you can deduct a portion of your home for an office, I assume that is the same for the Duggar home. I would be surprised if they can deduct their entire property tax.....but then, nothing the government concocts would surprise me.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    ^^ in CA - the tax exemption on your home has to do with property taxes, and not the income taxes that go to pay for schools. Also, you can deduct a portion of your home for an office, I assume that is the same for the Duggar home. I would be surprised if they can deduct their entire property tax.....but then, nothing the government concocts would surprise me.
    A very quick google search reveals that, like many other states as well, Arkansas uses property taxes as their primary school funding.

charming i'm sure
    vCash
    non profits, such as churches can be exempt from taxes. Both sales and property taxes http://atheism.about.com/od/churches...hexemption.htm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I looked up health care cost of the Duggars, and there was some confusion regarding Jim Bob's Health Care provider and whether, as a former elected official from Arkansas, his family's health care was paid by the Arkansas tax payers.
    According to Wikipedia, he was a state representative for only three years (1999-2002). If his large family is still getting paid health care, or even subsidized health care, 12 years after he last served, I don't know that every taxpayer in Arkansas would be OK with that.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    If the house doubles as a "church," some or all of it could be claimed as tax-exempt. Also, if Jim Bob is ordained as a minister, even if the house is not officially a church, some of the house can be claimed as parsonage, entitling him to a significant tax deduction. I also would not be surprised if a lot of the family's earnings from appearances and books are being funneled through non-profit foundations or a family LLC, which allows them to defer taxes and structure things so much of the income is taxed at the lower capital gains rates.

vCash
    Parsonages are considered taxable income. They very well may not pay property taxes, but they would have to pay income taxes on the house if it's considered parsonage. And they would have to pay sales tax on anything ever used as personal property--even if those items are also used for church/worship purposes.

vCash
    I had to giggle at this confessional:

(Someone): Why is Derick a good match for Jill?
    Jennifer: He's a really good man
    Jordyn: He's handsome
    Jennifer: And Jill wants to marry him
    Jordyn: And he's handsome
    Jennifer: And she loves him
    Jordyn: And he's really really handsome

you go Jordyn

Well, congrats to the couple and wishing them well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Parsonages are considered taxable income. They very well may not pay property taxes, but they would have to pay income taxes on the house if it's considered parsonage. And they would have to pay sales tax on anything ever used as personal property--even if those items are also used for church/worship purposes.
    Technically, it's an exclusion from gross income for the fair rental value of the home from income tax purposes. My mother and stepfather get to declare parsonage due to my stepfather being a rabbi and it results in conisderable tax savings.

charming i'm sure
    vCash
    Having been involved, if only slightly, with pastor compensation packages with include either parsonages or housing allowances, it is a muddy situation on how parsonages and/or housing allowances provided to a pastor is considered income.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc417.html
    https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tool.../INF12069.html

I would guess that Jim Bob has researched the entire topic and is using the income tax/property tax and to some extent the non-profit sale tax exemptions to the greatest benefit for him and his family.

vCash
    So Cousin Amy is going to Nashville to try and be a country singer.

I guess fairly soon we will see Jill's wedding special - I think the wedding is supposed to be this month.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I was going to ask something along the lines of I wonder how they are going to pull off a big wedding in June when I think he only proposed back in April. Then I thought ... silly me, its the Duggars!.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovepaydays View Post
    So Cousin Amy is going to Nashville to try and be a country singer.
    The key word being "try"

Really, for someone who claims to have always wanted to be a singer, she seemed kind of amazed that she would have to do things like make recordings in a recording studio, and learn new songs...
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    I was going to ask something along the lines of I wonder how they are going to pull off a big wedding in June when I think he only proposed back in April. Then I thought ... silly me, its the Duggars!.
    Aside from that; they have TLC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    The key word being "try"

Really, for someone who claims to have always wanted to be a singer, she seemed kind of amazed that she would have to do things like make recordings in a recording studio, and learn new songs...
    When Amy made the announcement in front all of the Duggars, I was glad that Jim Bob gave the "you know there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of people in Nashville trying to make it in country music" reality question.

I think what had Amy really surprised was that the recording studio stuff & the learning of new songs would be harder than she thought - and that she would be so criticized about her singing while she did it.

vCash
    And that with one connection with a producer, no studio experience, and no original material of her own, she thought two weeks in Nashville would be all she needed to establish her career. Umm....

Judging by her singing, if that producer is for real, he might get one novelty/celebrity single out of her. Like that awful song about money that Countess LuAnn had on Real Housewives of NY. Get Amy a song like "I'm a Duggar But My Name Starts with A", milk it for all it's worth, and then everyone can move on to more productive things.

vCash
    Meanwhile.....Jill Duggar and Derick Dillard Had a Pounding Party Before Their Wedding!

Looks like the wedding is this Saturday.

vCash
    The wedding was this afternoon. She looks lovely.

http://www.people.com/article/jill-d...s-and-counting

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789