Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Did many say she needed to move on to the next phase of her life when she was preparing for a third Olympics?
    Yes. People did. Whether you think it was "many" depends on your definition of that word, but people were saying she had her chance and should move on as early as 2003.

What he is doing is parallel to what she did in preparing for a third Olympics while injured.
    It's not remotely parallel. Kwan continued to compete from 2003 to 2006. She had a much lighter schedule than other athletes as she tended to skip the Grand Prix but she was at every Nationals and Worlds and she did other things. She was around and competing and training. She wasn't "coming back" during any of that time because she hadn't gone away. It wasn't until 2006 that she had to withdraw from everything and get medical byes. Evan hasn't competed in ages, not seriously, and is attempting to come back which is a completely different animal than continuing to compete while managing injuries.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I said what he is doing now, preparing for another Olympics while injured, was parallel to what Michelle did. Michelle withdrew from all of her 3 planned competitions in 2005
    and did not compete at the nationals prior to the Olympics in 2006. True Evan hasn't competed for a much longer period, but not competing the year before an Olympics is not exactly helpful either (even though it wasn't her fault ), especially considering her limited experience under the new judging system.
    No, your post focused on education for the most part. And I stand by my post. MK HAD competed at Nats and Worlds between the two OLY cycles. As far as dropping out of competitions in 05, no one expected her to come to SA in Atlantic City in 05..she hadn't done the GP in 03 or 04 either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Plushenko only has the SP score from 2012 Euros; he withdraw after the SP.
    Wasn't 2012 Europeans Sheffield, which Pluschenko won - Kevin VDP withdrew after the SP but Evgeni won the competition.

vCash
    Plush withdrew after the SP this year (2013) in Zagreb.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I apologize -- "2012" was a typo. I meant to type "2013."
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Wow I didn't even remember Plush withdrawing in 2013!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Yes. People did. Whether you think it was "many" depends on your definition of that word, but people were saying she had her chance and should move on as early as 2003.

It's not remotely parallel. Kwan continued to compete from 2003 to 2006. She had a much lighter schedule than other athletes as she tended to skip the Grand Prix but she was at every Nationals and Worlds and she did other things. She was around and competing and training. She wasn't "coming back" during any of that time because she hadn't gone away. It wasn't until 2006 that she had to withdraw from everything and get medical byes. Evan hasn't competed in ages, not seriously, and is attempting to come back which is a completely different animal than continuing to compete while managing injuries.
    How did I miss that line? Post of the day!

vCash
    Because it hasn't been blindingly obvious for years now that Lysacek is not going to compete in Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Because it hasn't been blindingly obvious for years now that Lysacek is not going to compete in Sochi.
    Evan just locked in the "Team Citibank" sponsorship, which is actually notable for what seems a selection criteria based more on having already accomplished prior Olympic achievements over hopefuls. Still, it makes me wonder how the contract was penned. For instance, if he competes and does poorly or does not make the team, what kind of marketing plans do they have in store for him? I would bet he would still be in decent position to "represent" for the sponsor as a prior Olympic Gold medalist. But still...

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Here's the "Team Citi" press release from Sept. 20th: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/09/...etes-for-soch/

Phil Hersh @olyphil tweeted today:
    Frank Carroll just told me @EvanLysacek returned to ice last week. "Not complicated things, but some skating."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Spitting Nickels
    vCash

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Relevant excerpt from the article:
    ... [Lysacek] got back on the ice last Thursday and Friday in Los Angeles after being sidelined for about a month.
    Lysacek withdrew from the U.S. International Classic earlier this month with a groin injury, and he has not competed since winning the Olympic gold. He still is scheduled to compete at Skate America Oct. 18-20, but that seems less and less likely, even if Carroll hasn't ruled it out.

“He is not now at the (physical) level he will need to be for Skate America,” Carroll said. “I’m anxious to see how he is doing today.”
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Hopefully they'll just call Jason Brown after Nebelhorn and ask him to be on stand-by. It doesn't sound too promising for Evan.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    ^^^
    That sounds like a wise idea!

vCash
    ^^ I'd love to see Jason at his first Skate America!

Best wishes to Evan in healing and in dealing with the physical frustrations of a brave eager athletic heart in an older body.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Relevant excerpt from the article:
    Translation - Evan will skip the GP events and claim an injury at nationals should he struggle in the short. Then try and petition his way onto the team just like Kwan did for the sake of dollar-dollar bills.

vCash

Frank Carroll concerned: crunch time for Evan

Quote Originally Posted by savedbyscreetch View Post
    Translation - Evan will skip the GP events and claim an injury at nationals should he struggle in the short. Then try and petition his way onto the team just like Kwan did for the sake of dollar-dollar bills.
    Except Evan will still need an international event to qualify for the Olympics

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by savedbyscreetch View Post
    Yea because a skater winning Nationals the year before and placing 4th at Worlds is the same as someone who hasn't competed in 4 years.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    Yea because a skater winning Nationals the year before and placing 4th at Worlds is the same as someone who hasn't competed in 4 years.
    What did you say your favorite cookie is?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Hopefully they'll just call Jason Brown after Nebelhorn and ask him to be on stand-by. It doesn't sound too promising for Evan.
    TSL seemed to indicate that they already have called Jason...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast