Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Also, unlike Evan, Plushenko seems to be healing from his surgeries, rather than suffering new or re-injuries. He also is currently landing quad toes and 3 axels in practices. So, yes, I'd agree he is well ahead of Evan in the comeback sweeps. (Actually, so even is Weir, who is also landing 3 axels in practices.)

Of these three, I think Lysacek is also the only one who still needs to post an Olympic qualifying score.

That's not actually true. She started college the year after Nagano and was both training and preparing for life after skating during the last several years of her eligible career. In addition to working on her degree, she also served as a good will representative for the US and was developing State Department contacts with an eye to her long term career goals.
    From her Wikipedia page:

After graduation from Rim of the World High School in 1998, Kwan attended UCLA for one year. In the fall of 2006, she transferred to the University of Denver.[12]

Like I said, it took her body breaking down for her to start building a new life. Nothing wrong with that at all though. Like I said, Evan could learn a lot from her in a good way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Weir had 0% chance of making the Olympic team since he will not be eligible to compete at Nationals. (He did not register by the September 1st deadline)
    Where did you hear this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post

Where did you hear this?
    AP and ESPN Olympic tweeted today that Weir did not register with USFSA by the deadline.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Where did you hear this?
    http://espn.go.com/olympics/figuresk...stering-season

vCash
    Weir had 0% chance of making the Olympic team since he will not be eligible to compete at Nationals. (He did not register by the September 1st deadline)
    Maybe he didn't register because he knew he had 0% chance of making the Olympic team.....

vCash
    Thanks for that news. So his chances are merely the same as I already thought they were, but it is just confirmed officialy now.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Plushenko only has the SP score from 2012 Euros; he withdraw after the SP. He still needs a FS score. Weir had both Olympics/4C's qualifying scores from 2012 Finlandia, but as reported earlier today, didn't sign up for Regionals. Lysacek needs both scores before the Olympic entry deadline of 27 January 2014.

There are two international events for Senior Men between US Nats and the Olympic entry deadline.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    These type of cases are for us are what the likes of Miley Cyrus are for Pop cloture crowd,

We can see through it, We realise it's the oldest trick in the book,
    yet the amount of text we spill here about this is .....

Well, You get the idea

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    IMO, Evan needs to have a long talk with someone like Michelle Kwan on building a new life. I can understand why he wants to stay competitive ... no pro circuit anymore, and (probably) not having found a new career that really interests him, but if he doesn't give it up, he may really hurt himself badly.
    Michelle was going on 27 when she started college seriously. Did many say she needed to move on to the next phase of her life when she was preparing for a third Olympics? Most I think wanted her to compete in one more Olympics. Evan is 28 now. Evan still has time for college if he wants that. He was outstanding academically in high school so he should have no problem with that if that is the direction he wants to go. Which is to say, I don't think Ms Kwan is the person to advise Evan. What he is doing is parallel to what she did in preparing for a third Olympics while injured.

vCash
    When Plushenko came back, he and Mishin entirely restructured his training regime to account for his body and the injuries. He changes up the way he trains to accommodate whatever he's recovering for at the time.

Lysacek doesn't seem to do this. He seems to think he can train now the way he did when he was 20. Only, his body can't cope anymore. He was not likely to make the Olympic team anyway.

vCash
    It is always hard to relinquish a dream.

vCash
    delete

vCash
    Evan still has time for college if he wants that. He was outstanding academically in high school so he should have no problem with that if that is the direction he wants to go.
    I think one of the early posters in this thread hit the mark in wondering if perhaps Evan has not really found yet what he wants to do after skating.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Michelle was going on 27 when she started college seriously. Did many say she needed to move on to the next phase of her life when she was preparing for a third Olympics? Most I think wanted her to compete in one more Olympics. Evan is 28 now. Evan still has time for college if he wants that. He was outstanding academically in high school so he should have no problem with that if that is the direction he wants to go. Which is to say, I don't think Ms Kwan is the person to advise Evan. What he is doing is parallel to what she did in preparing for a third Olympics while injured.
    Michelle had been competing all along.While she didn't do the GP series, save for 02 Skate America, she did compete at Nats and Wolds in 03, 04, 05....winning 3 more Nat titles, winning Worlds and medaling and finishing just off the podium in 05. Not the same at all.

vCash
    He was outstanding academically in high school so he should have no problem with that if that is the direction he wants to go.
    I have no idea how he'll do if he decides to go into academics again; but if he hasn't kept studying all this time- he may find it very difficult. Returning students are often shocked at what they have forgotten, even those with 4.0s and AP classes while they were in high school.

Transition is so hard, and I do agree with the person who says it is hard to give up a dream.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    IMO, Evan needs to have a long talk with someone like Michelle Kwan on building a new life. I can understand why he wants to stay competitive ... no pro circuit anymore, and (probably) not having found a new career that really interests him, but if he doesn't give it up, he may really hurt himself badly.

Jerry Hall is in Melbourne doing press calls for a show she is in at the moment.

Maybe Evan and Vera Wang can do a national tour of THE GRADUATE together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Michelle had been competing all along.While she didn't do the GP series, save for 02 Skate America, she did compete at Nats and Wolds in 03, 04, 05....winning 3 more Nat titles, winning Worlds and medaling and finishing just off the podium in 05. Not the same at all.
    I said what he is doing now, preparing for another Olympics while injured, was parallel to what Michelle did. Michelle withdrew from all of her 3 planned competitions in 2005
    and did not compete at the nationals prior to the Olympics in 2006. True Evan hasn't competed for a much longer period, but not competing the year before an Olympics is not exactly helpful either (even though it wasn't her fault ), especially considering her limited experience under the new judging system.

vCash
    That is precisely why I believe that Ms. Kwan would be a good source of advice for Evan. She knows, from experience, how risky it is to prepare for an Olys while injured, and the long term consequences of such injury.

vCash
    OT: regards injuries, now I know why Rachael Flatt has said she will *not* get surgery on her bulging discs until her competitive career is truly over (just like Michelle Kwan didn't get her hip surgery until after the 2006 Olympics). Smart. Because I heard one's body is never the same, thus some athletes choose to delay surgery until after their competitive career is truly over. I suppose it depends on the athlete and the nature of the injury. Either way, I take my hat off to them all!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast