Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

vCash

Frank Carroll concerned: crunch time for Evan

Getting back to Evan, which international comps are still available for Evan?

vCash
    Re-posting from earlier in the thread:

Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria (Nov. 19-24) is the latest of the 6 Senior B comps currently listed on USFS' International Assignments page; USFS has sent skaters in previous years to Golden Spin of Zagreb in Croatia - 2013 dates are Dec. 5-8.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Why not cheer when a Russian pair wins the OGM? It's a very understandable reaction. Is she supposed to keep a blank face, or may be you would have preferred if she had screamed like Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic- how could S&P possibly lose? You don't like Rodnina's joy when a Russian pair wins (unprofessional according to you) and you see nothing wrong with Sandra whining because 'her' pair did not win.
    You've just made a huge assumption about me. It is possible to think that if someone was commentating and is expected to have some sort of objectivity that both behavior was less than professional. Let's turn the situation around. Had S/P won and Sandra Bezic screamed for joy, would you have been ok with that?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Torn labrum? Evan Lysacek's competitive career is over. Full stop. No US Nationals, no Sochi, no medical miracles. I expect this thread will meander on until the inescapable truth can't be avoided any longer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
    Torn labrum? Evan Lysacek's competitive career is over. Full stop. No US Nationals, no Sochi, no medical miracles. I expect this thread will meander on until the inescapable truth can't be avoided any longer.
    Wow, I'm actually a doctor and I wouldn't feel comfortable saying that for sure. You must have some magical insight into his hip injury to absolutely be sure of this. I don't expect a good outcome here skating-wise either, but good grief, let's let the situation develop first before we make dire pronouncements.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    From Bonnie D. Ford's Olympics blog article for ESPN.com: http://espn.go.com/blog/olympics/pos...ks-sochi-hopes
    Lysacek took the opportunity to steer the conversation away from himself and toward what he considers a credibility issue in skating's scoring system.

He said too many men are trying quad jumps without any realistic chance of executing them, ruining the flow of programs but still racking up points.

"They've never landed a quad in their lives, but they put three or four in their program and go down on every one because they get more points for that than a triple. That to me is where an audience member will not understand that," Lysacek said. "If that happened in snowboarding, they wouldn't get it. If that happened in aerial skiing, they wouldn't get it. So why in figure skating do we think audience members are going to be able to wrap their brains around that?"
    The wording in the part of his quote I bolded above is unfortunate, IMO.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I think he should go ahead and skate at Skate America. He could do very little and still get the minimum scores required.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I think he should go ahead and skate at Skate America. He could do very little and still get the minimum scores required.
    Really, with a torn labrum? You might want to do a little research about the injury.

vCash
    She's wrong. He's wrong. For her it's not 2010 anymore lots of men do clean quads every competiton they Enter. She's just wrong about what's going on. He's just wildly exaggerating and being ridiculous As there is no 4 quad all falls performance. This is just wrong and like his comment prior about clean performances with quads being rarer than non quad Performances or whatever. Lots of performances with quads are clean. This article was a duet of ignorance.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    funny, i cant remember many 4 quad attempt programs
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    Kevin Reynolds, I believe, was "attempting" 4 quads a couple seasons ago in his LP. I can't find any protocols that indicate that - at the CoC 2011 his protocols have three quads, with one (the Loop) receiving a downgrade.

Anyway, I'd be interested who particularly Lysacek was referring to when he made his statement, because a number of the men that have fallen on the quad have certainly landed it before.

vCash
    Clean performances with quads are muuuch less than those aren't clean. If he can compete, if he can still be rock solid, there's still a chance, why not. Look at Jeffrey Buttle at 2012 Japan Open, Elvis Stojko at 2000 worlds, or Todd Eldredge at 2001 worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    you're much more likely to see a unicorn

ahh...here's one:

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    Clean performances with quads are muuuch less than those aren't clean. If he can compete, if he can still be rock solid, there's still a chance, why not. Look at Jeffrey Buttle at 2012 Japan Open, Elvis Stojko at 2000 worlds, or Todd Eldredge at 2001 worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Why not cheer when a Russian pair wins the OGM? It's a very understandable reaction. Is she supposed to keep a blank face, or may be you would have preferred if she had screamed like Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic- how could S&P possibly lose? You don't like Rodnina's joy when a Russian pair wins (unprofessional according to you) and you see nothing wrong with Sandra whining because 'her' pair did not win.
    Actually IIRC, VIETgrlTerifa was one of those who was pretty amused by Rodnina's reaction and has consistently been put off by Sandra Bezic. I think her overall point was that there was simply a lack of professionalism involved and that it's not particularly fair to be so overly critical of our country's commentators when others do the same thing .

I will confess that Rodnina's reaction was somewhat cathartic for me after being subjected to NBC's behavior ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    Actually IIRC, VIETgrlTerifa was one of those who was pretty amused by Rodnina's reaction and has consistently been put off by Sandra Bezic. I think her overall point was that there was simply a lack of professionalism involved and that it's not particularly fair to be so overly critical of our country's commentators when others do the same thing .

I will confess that Rodnina's reaction was somewhat cathartic for me after being subjected to NBC's behavior ...
    I couldn't help it. I'm a huge Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze fan and how can you not love Rodnina, the queen of Pairs skating.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Yazmeen, others with labrum or medical experience - have you ever heard of a hip labrum healing without surgical intervention?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    "They've never landed a quad in their lives, but they put three or four in their program and go down on every one because they get more points for that than a triple. That to me is where an audience member will not understand that," Lysacek said. "If that happened in snowboarding, they wouldn't get it. If that happened in aerial skiing, they wouldn't get it. So why in figure skating do we think audience members are going to be able to wrap their brains around that?"
    UGH. Please. I've never been a fan of Evan. At all. But I'm soooo over his hypocrisy. Either have an opinion and stick to it, or just be quiet. This is the guy who kept attempting quads throughout 2006-2008 when he rarely landed a clean quad internationally. And criticized those who didn't even attempt it as taking the sports backwards. Then had the guts with all his failed Quads to advocate for a Figure skating jumping competition X-games style. Then criticized Abbott for winning 09 Nats and Chan for winning 09 4CC without even attempting a quad. Then goes ahead and wins worlds and the Olympics without a quad. Then suddenly adopts the stance he's always advocated against: "Quads are not everything!" And now he has the balls to criticize skaters going for quads and make up stories about make-believe skaters who attempt 4 quads without ever having landed one?????

Be graceful you sour puss. /rant

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    you're much more likely to see a unicorn

ahh...here's one:
    ahh...that's three unicorns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Wow, I'm actually a doctor and I wouldn't feel comfortable saying that for sure. You must have some magical insight into his hip injury to absolutely be sure of this. I don't expect a good outcome here skating-wise either, but good grief, let's let the situation develop first before we make dire pronouncements.
    My magical crystal ball. But let's do it your way--we'll let the situation develop first. Then around, say, January-ish, can I come back and say "I told you so?"

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast