Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Yeah, the winner of

- 2 Olympic Gold Medals
    - 5 World Championships
    - A European Championship
    - 7 National Championships

probably does not have clue about skating . . .
    Only I have never said that Button does not have a clue about skating. I said that he is talking shit a lot of the time, which he is. He seems to be obsessed about certain issues whilst ignoring a lot of others. Which gives a very skewed image of skaters' performances. It's fine if you are equally nitpicky with everyone or equally lenient with everyone. But Button will nitpick certain things and completely gloss over others.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    And not just Dick Button, there are lots of other experts, they are all craps. Ok, let's watch out how Ziggy's knowledge about figure skating. I am a curious person and like to study.
    No, not all of them. However, I am yet to find an English speaking commentator who is not talking shit a lot of the time (as in making mistakes, not knowing the rules and so on). If you find one, please let me know.

I guess nowadays I either try to watch skating sans commentary or watch it in other languages so it's definitely possible there are great commentators out there that I have never listened to. I guess PJ Kwong is probably one. You can tell that she really cares about skating and she definitely does her research.

It always shocks me how Chris Howarth and Nicky Slater - both of whom work in skating as coaches and choreographers - often lack knowledge of the IJS rules and fail to notice a lot of errors that should be apparent to somebody who's a skating insider. They also don't seem to do much background research on skaters and seem to know less about them than many skating fans do.

P.S. Not everybody will know everything, it's only natural. When you don't know about something simply don't mention it, instead of pretending that you do know it and talk bullshit...

The Polish Eurosport commentator is actually very decent. He knows what he's talking about, he points out a lot of details and gives some interesting background info as well (he won't for example say 'fantastic' when a pair team does a triple twist where a lady collapses onto the man instead of being caught by the waist and put down - which Chris/Simon/Nicky do regularly). I disagree with him a lot but he's honest and makes clear arguments for why he thinks a certain way and you can take it or leave it.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 09-28-2013 at 03:12 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Not ridiculous at all. Lysacek beat Plushenko by 1.31 points. The base value of the jump that Plushenko omitted from his Free Skate was worth more than 1.31 points.
    You're missing my point,

What i meant was, Had the double been performed,
    Those points could have easily gone missing somewhere else in the score, You see ?

vCash
    It always shocks me how Chris Howarth and Nicky Slater - both of whom work in skating as coaches and choreographers - often lack knowledge of the IJS rules and fail to notice a lot of errors that should be apparent to somebody who's a skating insider.
    There is a difference between not noticing errors and not mentioning them. When they are working a broadcast, they are not there to be judges or teachers. They are there to make an entertaining broadcast. The vast majority of their audience does not want every program to be picked to death. They want to take it for what they see. People especially disliked broadcasters picking out small errors during the program, as it detracted from enjoyment of the performance.

It's the same reason most US broadcasters gloss over the math details of scoring. They started out trying to explain everything, but figured out pretty early on that much of the audience finds too much talking about detail more annoying than helpful. So, they settled on mentioning levels and base values, deductions and the second half bonus, without going into the math or the detail.

I suspect this is at least in part because skating is not just sport but also art. Too much focus on the one kills the other.
    Last edited by Susan M; 09-28-2013 at 08:32 AM.

vCash
    I like the british commentators, they love every skaters, unlike the NBC commentators, who are tooooooo biased, they never shut up and always criticize any non-Americans to make their Americans look better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    I like the british commentators, they love every skaters, unlike the NBC commentators, who are tooooooo biased, they never shut up and always criticize any non-Americans to make their Americans look better.
    Of course, if there is a British connection, they might not be so boldly positive of Russians (case and point: 1995 Worlds Ice dance - Sandra Bezic was actually more impartial than the Eurosport duo).

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    That reminds me of the Russian broadcast of the 2002 SLC Pairs where Irina Rodnina was doing commentary. When Sale/Pelletier's scores came up and people saw that they were second, Rodnina cheered. Highly professional, right?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Only I have never said that Button does not have a clue about skating. I said that he is talking shit a lot of the time, which he is.
    I thought this long post was about your skating knowledge, actually it's a showoff of your knowledge about certain commentators. I thought you were trying to prove all those commentators were craps, it turned out it's just some times they talked shit about certain things. Together with your statement that saying Yagudin's footwork was all 3 turns and top picks, all totally rubbish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    That reminds me of the Russian broadcast of the 2002 SLC Pairs where Irina Rodnina was doing commentary. When Sale/Pelletier's scores came up and people saw that they were second, Rodnina cheered. Highly professional, right?
    Commentators will always cheer for their own. Norwegian commentators are orgasming every time some Norwegian wins in skiing, they scream so loud they have no voice left and I fear they will have a heart attack.
    I agree it's not professional. Swedish commentator Roger Blomqvist in 2002 were gushing over S&P the whole pairs comp, since their coach was Swedish, he was so biased it was disgusting, B&S got no cred at all. No need to say I was furious, and equally happy when it said 2 next to S&P's names!

vCash
    I like Evan unlike many in this thread it seems but I really hope he pulls the plus on his comeback. He isnt competitive with the best in the World anymore even at his best, and he has had too many injuries and too long off to realistically try and return to amateur competition and doing quads and triple axels at this age. You know the saying nothing to lose and everything to gain. Well for Evan it is more a nothing to gain and everything to lose, including possibly his own long term physical well being.

Whether some disagree with it or not he will always be an Olympic, World, and Grand Prix final Champion, and that is something nobody can take away from him.

vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    Just like when people talked about 6.0 footwork, they like to take Yagudin as an example. They are the representative person, you should be proud of it.
    If Inman praised Yagudin's footwork, I'm ready to forgive him.

vCash
    I mean I think it's safe to say that Yagudin and Morosov brought footwork back in style despite how simple it used to be. Compare people's footwork sections before and after SLC.
    I agree but wouldnt you say Plushenko did as well. Both had footwork far beyond the field, and very complex and musical, although totally different styles of footwork, almost equally effective.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    I agree but wouldnt you say Plushenko did as well. Both had footwork far beyond the field, and very complex and musical, although totally different styles of footwork, almost equally effective.
    of course... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKEEuxPEP0U fantastic, very fast, exciting, fan to watch

Spitting Nickels
    vCash
    Okay, I'm giving up on this Evan thread which seems to have become a Plushy thread.

vCash
    I started this thread, will be more than happy to have an Admin put it out of its misery...
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Twitter:

U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating 24s
    NEWS: "I'm working with my doctors, but my injury will prevent me from competing at Skate America" - @EvanLysacek
    U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating 31s
    "I am really disappointed." Lysecek says. He said his goals are still intact and is working with @USFigureSkating to achieve min. Oly score.
    EDIT:

Nancy Armour ‏@nrarmour 4m
    Lysacek already talking with @USFigureSkating on getting int'l event. "(The injury) is extremely unfortunate but it's not end of world."
    Last edited by dardar1126; 09-30-2013 at 04:31 PM.

vCash
    NBCOlympics ‏@NBCOlympics
    .@EvanLysacek admits "it's been an arduous journey" to recovery & announces he will miss Skate America but is focused on the "big picture."

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...y-torn-labrum/

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Tweeted by @amyrosewater at the Olympic Media Summit in Park City, Utah:
    @EvanLysacek said he has been assured by @USFigureSkating that he can enter another international event to post score needed for Sochi.
    Tweeted by @KellyWhiteside:
    With a torn labrum, Evan Lysacek will miss Skate America & his chances for Sochi a lot longer
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-30-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash

vCash
    Why not cheer when a Russian pair wins the OGM? It's a very understandable reaction. Is she supposed to keep a blank face, or may be you would have preferred if she had screamed like Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic- how could S&P possibly lose? You don't like Rodnina's joy when a Russian pair wins (unprofessional according to you) and you see nothing wrong with Sandra whining because 'her' pair did not win.

Sandra Bezic has been openly pro-Canadian in just about every competition she commented on.

I have not listened to much of other countries' commentators, but I thought the Canadian commentators were biased too in the GPF 2002 SP. The European commentators were 'nice' but sometimes inaccurate (it's a small sample size, and I admit that I need to listen to more of those).

Overall though I feel our US commentators may be the worst. There are mistakes in their commentaries, and sometimes endless gushing mostly about American skaters. Dick Button is one of the few that may say something negative about a US skater and something glowing about a Russian (how dare he?- sarcasm). The quality of FS commentating is just not good, and that could be a part of the reason majority of people (not fans) don't understand it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Only I have never said that Button does not have a clue about skating. I said that he is talking shit a lot of the time, which he is. He seems to be obsessed about certain issues whilst ignoring a lot of others. Which gives a very skewed image of skaters' performances. It's fine if you are equally nitpicky with everyone or equally lenient with everyone. But Button will nitpick certain things and completely gloss over others.

No, not all of them. However, I am yet to find an English speaking commentator who is not talking shit a lot of the time (as in making mistakes, not knowing the rules and so on). If you find one, please let me know.

I guess nowadays I either try to watch skating sans commentary or watch it in other languages so it's definitely possible there are great commentators out there that I have never listened to. I guess PJ Kwong is probably one. You can tell that she really cares about skating and she definitely does her research.

It always shocks me how Chris Howarth and Nicky Slater - both of whom work in skating as coaches and choreographers - often lack knowledge of the IJS rules and fail to notice a lot of errors that should be apparent to somebody who's a skating insider. They also don't seem to do much background research on skaters and seem to know less about them than many skating fans do.

P.S. Not everybody will know everything, it's only natural. When you don't know about something simply don't mention it, instead of pretending that you do know it and talk bullshit...

The Polish Eurosport commentator is actually very decent. He knows what he's talking about, he points out a lot of details and gives some interesting background info as well (he won't for example say 'fantastic' when a pair team does a triple twist where a lady collapses onto the man instead of being caught by the waist and put down - which Chris/Simon/Nicky do regularly). I disagree with him a lot but he's honest and makes clear arguments for why he thinks a certain way and you can take it or leave it.

You may have a point. However, if there is a great commentator, I have not heard him/her. Many commentators have their strong points, but sometimes their weaknesses become overpowering.

I am wondering if the famous skaters that become commentators later put less work into understanding the changes in the rules, etc. while those who were not that famous put more work into it? It's just a hypothesis, and I don't know if that's true. My personal preference is for commentators that explain specific moves - what was good about it, or not so good (or downright bad) and why. I like them to leave out unnecessary chatter, and unnecessary gushing. Simple praise is much more effective, IMO. That's just me though.

I still have a soft spot for Dick & Peggy, and I have missed seeing them in recent years (Dick in particular).

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast