Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Frank Carroll concerned: crunch time for Evan

New article at the NBC Olympics site:

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...skate-america/

At this point, it's not looking very good for Evan.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    New article at the NBC Olympics site:

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...skate-america/

At this point, it's not looking very good for Evan.
    anyone surprised by this news?

vCash
    Evan's body is telling him it's time to give up competing. Even though he hasn't competed since the Olympics he always seems to be hurt. His overtraining is probably the reason and since he's not 20 anymore he probably should have held back a bit.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    What will a Nationals be without all the Evan's ELFs and Johnny's Angels in the stands, warring pieces of flair, banner-knitting duels, hissy fits at each other, and all?

vCash
    IMO, Evan needs to have a long talk with someone like Michelle Kwan on building a new life. I can understand why he wants to stay competitive ... no pro circuit anymore, and (probably) not having found a new career that really interests him, but if he doesn't give it up, he may really hurt himself badly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    IMO, Evan needs to have a long talk with someone like Michelle Kwan on building a new life. I can understand why he wants to stay competitive ... no pro circuit anymore, and (probably) not having found a new career that really interests him, but if he doesn't give it up, he may really hurt himself badly.
    I hope for his own sake he move onto the next phase of his life, and I would say that even if I was a huge fan (probably even moreso if I were a huge fan, which admitedly I am not). The same goes for Plushenko for that matter. Both are trying to ruin their bodies to the point it will impact their future lives if they arent careful and for what. There isnt even a possible tangible reward in the end for either (well for Plushenko maybe competing on home ice is enough of a carrot).

vCash
    ^This!

vCash
    May be it's better for Evan to find out at the US nationals what shape he really is in. The USFSA is not going to select him just because he is the reigning OGMlist.

For Plushenko it's a different situation. He can find out early on how his body is doing. Competing in his home country that has never hosted winter Olympics must mean a lot to him. He does not have as much competition as Evan has at his nationals (although all of us could be in for a surprise at the RN). I fully understand him wanting to compete if his body can hold up. Unlike Evan, he has competed after the 2010 Olympics and he has looked good. I don't recall seeing Evan competing at all since the 2010 Olys.

vCash
    But I wanna see Curry Lysacek.

vCash
    I wonder if the USFS does anything to help their skaters transition. It has to be tough.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Oh, I think Evan has quite a future. Even if he only tours with SOI for their 6 dates a year () he looks so great on camera, any hosting or commentating gig would probably be open for him. I would love to see a Vegas-type show starring Evan. He has great star power. Michelle seemed to have other interests outside skating. There's no reason why Evan has to "move on" from the skating world entirely if he is not doing elite competitive skating.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I wonder if the USFS does anything to help their skaters transition. It has to be tough.
    You would think so. Even Cirque du Soleil has a department that helps their artists transition out of the circus.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Oh, I think Evan has quite a future. Even if he only tours with SOI for their 6 dates a year () he looks so great on camera, any hosting or commentating gig would probably be open for him. I would love to see a Vegas-type show starring Evan. He has great star power. Michelle seemed to have other interests outside skating. There's no reason why Evan has to "move on" from the skating world entirely if he is not doing elite competitive skating.

vCash
    IMO, Evan needs to have a long talk with someone like Michelle Kwan on building a new life.
    I agree but for slightly different reasons. It took Michelle's body completely breaking down before she built a new life outside skating. If anyone knows what Evan is going through right now, I suspect it's her.

vCash
    Unlike Evan, he has competed after the 2010 Olympics and he has looked good.
    Also, unlike Evan, Plushenko seems to be healing from his surgeries, rather than suffering new or re-injuries. He also is currently landing quad toes and 3 axels in practices. So, yes, I'd agree he is well ahead of Evan in the comeback sweeps. (Actually, so even is Weir, who is also landing 3 axels in practices.)

Of these three, I think Lysacek is also the only one who still needs to post an Olympic qualifying score.

It took Michelle's body completely breaking down before she built a new life outside skating.
    That's not actually true. She started college the year after Nagano and was both training and preparing for life after skating during the last several years of her eligible career. In addition to working on her degree, she also served as a good will representative for the US and was developing State Department contacts with an eye to her long term career goals.
    Last edited by Susan M; 09-17-2013 at 08:53 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Also, unlike Evan, Plushenko seems to be healing from his surgeries, rather than suffering new or re-injuries. He also is currently landing quad toes and 3 axels in practices. So, yes, I'd agree he is well ahead of Evan in the comeback sweeps. (Actually, so even is Weir, who is also landing 3 axels in practices.)

Of these three, I think Lysacek is also the only one who still needs to post an Olympic qualifying score.
    Evan still has more chances to qualify for the Olympics than Weir. I would give Lysacek 3% and Weir 0% even if Weir is much more likely to be at Nationals and skate well than Evan. I expect Evan to probably announce he is ending his comeback in a couple weeks, but even that said I give him more chance of the Olympic team than Weir only since I couldnt imagine the U.S judges and USFSA putting Weir on the team no matter what he does at Nationals.

vCash
    I think if only one of the two shows up at nationals, that person has a better chance. Your chance is always better if you compete.. I mean, a rip roaring stomach bug could take out the whole field except Johnny and William Brewster, and doesn't whichever won have to go? (Or is that just the World team and the Olympic team is whomever the US wants?)

Although, now that I think about it, an epic food illness likely favors Joshua Farris- doesn't he normally bring all his own food due to allergies?

*And I don't think Johnny is going to nationals. Though I applaud him for showing up at Finlandia last year.

vCash
    I know Evan probably wont be at Nationals to begin with and as I said I am predicting him to announce his comeback is over in a few weeks time or sometime before Nationals, but lets say you have 20% chance to be at Nationals and 20% to make the team, that is still about 4%. Those are about how I would sum up Evan right now. Weir's chances even if we assume 100% he will be at Nationals, which I wouldnt, are still less than 4% probably.

Weir has a much better shot to actually follow through on his comeback and not make a fool of himself than Evan, but he still has the smaller of two tiny odds to make the team.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Evan won't make any team if he doesn't compete internationally before the end of January and earn the minimum score.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    I know Evan probably wont be at Nationals to begin with and as I said I am predicting him to announce his comeback is over in a few weeks time or sometime before Nationals, but lets say you have 20% chance to be at Nationals and 20% to make the team, that is still about 4%. Those are about how I would sum up Evan right now. Weir's chances even if we assume 100% he will be at Nationals, which I wouldnt, are still less than 4% probably.

Weir has a much better shot to actually follow through on his comeback and not make a fool of himself than Evan, but he still has the smaller of two tiny odds to make the team.
    Weir had 0% chance of making the Olympic team since he will not be eligible to compete at Nationals. (He did not register by the September 1st deadline)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    anyone surprised by this news?
    I'm not.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast