Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Johnny Weir did not register to qualify for 2014 U.S. Nationals

Tweeted by the Associated Press' Nancy Armour today: https://twitter.com/nrarmour/status/380062577159454720
    No Sochi for @JohnnyGWeir _ at least as skater. Deadline for nationals qualifiers Sept. 1 and he didn't register. Czisny, @RachaelFlatt did
    AP article: Skater Johnny Weir out of Sochi
    Excerpt:
    Johnny Weir won't be going to the Sochi Olympics.

At least, not as a skater.

U.S. Figure Skating confirmed Tuesday that the two-time Olympian did not register for the qualifiers for the national championships, where the Sochi team will be selected. The deadline to register was Sept. 1. The three-time U.S. champion can't get a free pass to nationals, either. According to U.S. Figure Skating rules, only skaters who placed in the top five at last year's nationals or who won medals at the most recent Olympics or world championships are eligible for byes.

Weir has not competed since withdrawing from last year's Rostelecom Cup, his first major event since finishing sixth at the Vancouver Olympics. He did not return a text message asking for comment.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-18-2013 at 02:37 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Shocker!

vCash
    Aw Glad to see Rachael on the lists, though! Good for her.

Quadless
    vCash
    Not surprised. I hope we'll see Johnny at Nationals and perhaps Sochi in the broadcast booth.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    I hope we'll see Johnny at Nationals and perhaps Sochi in the broadcast booth.
    honey badger ftw . Johnny was a good addition to the IN commentary team & it would be good to have him around in that capacity again.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    honey badger ftw . Johnny was a good addition to the IN commentary team & it would be good to have him around in that capacity again.
    Yes, he was. He was articulate and knowledgeable. "Shake that hair, Adam!"

vCash
    Sad but expected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Not surprised. I hope we'll see Johnny at Nationals and perhaps Sochi in the broadcast booth.
    Ah yes, my wish come true, I hope.

The news Johnny's not competing may be surprising only to those who are familiar with Johnny's high profile off the ice, and who know that he's a former Olympic figure skater, but who have never followed skating and know next to nothing about it. Sorta like the anchorman in one of Johnny's recent interviews (I noticed Johnny was very careful to say ..."if I qualify," while the news anchor seemed to think it was not such a long-shot). It was not a bad interview btw. Great responses from Johnny and another former Olympian re Sochi 2014 and the Russian anti-gay legislation. Johnny has done several related interviews on television news broadcasts in recent months, and I can't locate the one I'm referencing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Johnny has done several related interviews on television news broadcasts in recent months, and I can't locate the one I'm referencing.
    I posted many video links in the Johnny news thread in the Trash Can (there's another interview video link in post #700): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3973525
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia.

vCash
    Well, this is interesting.

Last night, Weir did an interview in which he said, "If I'm lucky enough to qualify for the Olympics, I will bring the usual Johnny Weir."

(Full story here: http://www.queerty.com/johnny-weir-s...#ixzz2fBqeBOmX)

So, he answered that way knowing he wasn't even going to try to qualify. Hmm.

vCash
    Or did he just forget to register? That would suck.

vCash
    I'm more surprised that anyone is surprised...

vCash
    He was never going to make it anyway. Lets be real here.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyich View Post
    Well, this is interesting.

Last night, Weir did an interview in which he said, "If I'm lucky enough to qualify for the Olympics, I will bring the usual Johnny Weir."

(Full story here: http://www.queerty.com/johnny-weir-s...#ixzz2fBqeBOmX)

So, he answered that way knowing he wasn't even going to try to qualify. Hmm.
    i think he's hoping to qualify as a paid commentator. i hope he does.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I'm more surprised that anyone is surprised...
    I'm not surprised that he won't compete, but I am slightly surprised that he didn't even register. It seems more typical (of top names, not just Johnny specifically) to wait to officially take themselves out of the field very late in the game, unless there's a very serious injury.

vCash
    A longer version of the AP article by Nancy Armour is now available at the link in post #1.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-18-2013 at 12:25 AM.

vCash
    Even if his making the team was a long shot, I was still looking forward to watching Johnny skate again. I hope whatever direction his life takes is a happy one for both him and Victor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    He was never going to make it anyway. Lets be real here.
    No one knows that; not even you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Even if his making the team was a long shot, I was still looking forward to watching Johnny skate again. I hope whatever direction his life takes is a happy one for both him and Victor.
    I agree. Johnny is a beautiful skater. He is a three time US Champion who always made Nationals enjoyable to watch. I was looking forward to seeing him skate in Boston. Best of luck to Johnny in his future endeavors.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast