Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Kiira Korpi's latest injury setback

Article in Finnish: http://yle.fi/urheilu/kiira_korpi_ka...aiskun/6832667

Via Google Translate:

Figure skater Kiira Korpi has suffered another setback. Korpi will have to leave at least the beginning of the season competitions between the Achilles tendon in his left leg was found to rupture. It is not yet known if injury requires surgery.

California farewell speech prepared Korpi was injured last week's exercises. Korpi felt a strong effort in the bet and the pain in the left leg calf. MRI scans revealed a partial tear in the left leg of the Achilles tendon.

Korpi tweeted Instagram photos earlier today:

http://instagram.com/p/eT63JrkAWl/
    "Doctor told me some bad news. My Achilles tendon was partially torn last Tuesday while jumping on the ice. I will go to Finland for further examination and rehab. I hope to come back on the ice soon and be stronger than before!"

http://instagram.com/p/eT8LowkAXt/
    "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it. -Lou Holtz #positiveattitude #notgivingup #achillestendontear"

Juulia Turkkila will replace Korpi at Nebelhorn Trophy, Sept. 25-28, and attempt to qualify an Olympic ladies' spot for Finland. This unfortunate news was first posted in the Nebelhorn Trophy thread in Kiss and Cry - link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3995544
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-16-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: To add article excerpt via Google Translate
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash

vCash
    It seemed things were going so well for her at the Arutunian camp.

Curiously curious
    vCash
    Sorry to hear this. I was looking forward to having her back on the scene. Best wishes for a swift recovery.

(Is there any realistic hope of salvaging any part of the season, particularly Olys, I wonder?)

vCash
    No no no

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    Sorry to hear this. I was looking forward to having her back on the scene. Best wishes for a swift recovery.

(Is there any realistic hope of salvaging any part of the season, particularly Olys, I wonder?)
    She has no chance at Olys no matter how fast she recovers unless Turkkila earns a spot at Nebelhorn. Very sad news, I was looking forward to seeing her again too.

vCash
    So depressing.

(((Finnish ladies and their injuries)))

All the best Kiira.

vCash

Get it together Kiira!

I am sure she could still go to Nebelhorn and put out a few doubles and still get a spot with the ridiculously high components she gets.....

vCash
    Was she in the united states when this happened?

vCash
    Poor Korpi. Wishing her a speedy recovery. Is it just me or do a lot of Arutunian skaters get injured?

I wonder how motivated Turkkila would be at Nebehorn.

vCash
    It's terrible. I don't think she can make it to Nebelhorn. Best wishes for her quick recovery.

In my calculation, to earn a Finnish spot Juulia Turkkila needs to place 3rd or higher at Nebelhorn among those from a country seeking an Olympic spot. It's definately doable for her, if she's prepared.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat decaro View Post
    It's terrible. I don't think she can make it to Nebelhorn. Best wishes for her quick recovery.

In my calculation, to earn a Finnish spot Juulia Turkkila needs to place 3rd or higher at Nebelhorn among those from a country seeking an Olympic spot. It's definately doable for her, if she's prepared.
    Why do you think she needs 3rd or higher? The top six countries without an Olympic spot earn one here. If any spots go unused, the 7th-highest skater then gets the spot, and so on.

vCash
    Feel sad for Kiira Hope she will have chance to skate in Sochi. Oh, this injuries/
    Get well soon!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
    Why do you think she needs 3rd or higher? The top six countries without an Olympic spot earn one here. If any spots go unused, the 7th-highest skater then gets the spot, and so on.
    Is that right? I mistakenly thought Olympic spots for singles were fixed at 30. In that case, the chances for Finnish ladies to get that spot are very good.

vCash
    Poor Kiira, I hope she recovers well and soon

vCash
    Oh, not again! I am so terribly sorry . I will be really sad for her if she doesn't get to skate in Olympics.

vCash
    Poor girl! It's even worse when it happens in an Olympic season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat decaro View Post
    Is that right? I mistakenly thought Olympic spots for singles were fixed at 30. In that case, the chances for Finnish ladies to get that spot are very good.
    24 slots are filled from Worlds (for ladies and men). It is not necessarily the top 24 finishers. Yu-na Kim earned three spots for South Korea, for example, even though she was the only entry at the event. Skaters such as Kerstin Frank (AUT) will still have to qualify for Sochi, even though she made the final free skate at Worlds. The other 6 slots are earned at Nebelhorn, as well as slots that may open due to a country not using an entry.

vCash
    (((((Kiira))))))))). It must be so frustrating for her :-( Everything seemed to be back on track after her big move to California... Wishing her a speedy recovery!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
    24 slots are filled from Worlds (for ladies and men). It is not necessarily the top 24 finishers. Yu-na Kim earned three spots for South Korea, for example, even though she was the only entry at the event. Skaters such as Kerstin Frank (AUT) will still have to qualify for Sochi, even though she made the final free skate at Worlds. The other 6 slots are earned at Nebelhorn, as well as slots that may open due to a country not using an entry.
    That clears up for me, thanks. I thought countries which finished top 24 at Worlds would get at least one spot. I understand now that Austria, Australia and Spain still need to qualify for ladies spots.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast