View Poll Results: Have you ever seriously wished (a) certain skater(s) to fall/fail?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course!

99 78.57%
  • Only once ...

3 2.38%
  • No! Never!

10 7.94%
  • Won't tell ...

10 7.94%
  • Other! Other?

4 3.17%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Loss of memory - temporary
    Loss of memory - permanent
    An amnesiac skater is a romance novel heroine waiting to happen - and not a good kind of romance novel. So you really shouldn't give anyone such ideas.

vCash
    How about a poll to show the jinx anyone has received to himself/herself by wishing ill to others?

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    I have not ever wished a skater to fall, but there are times I have been glad when they did.
    Is the second half of this sentence any better or essentially any different to the first?
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Of course I have!

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. In football you hope the other team fumbles the ball and your team gets it. In basketball you hope the other team turns the ball over when they pass or misses when they shoot. In baseball you hope the outfielder drops the ball and your team scores..why should it be any different in figure skating?

I find it weird that it seems to be so taboo for a skating fan to wish for another skater to mess up just so their favorite can win. If you admit to hoping for someone to make mistakes or, God forbid, actually verbalize it (ie. post something about hoping someone makes mistakes) you are looked at like you're the worst person ever. Everyone always lies and says, "I hope everyone skates their best," knowing good and well the second Skater A pops/falls/URs a jump you whisper, "Yes!", especially if that mistake lessens Skater A's chances of beating your favorite, Skater B.

I don't see anything wrong with admitting you want your favorite to win and if that means other people need to mess up then so be it. This is supposed to be a sport after all. Why is figure skating the only sport where you have to root for everyone to do their best? Why can't we cheer when someone we don't like makes a mistake? Does that make us bad people? If so what does that say about football/basketball/baseball/hockey/soccer fans? They cheer their heads off when the other team messes up...

Why do figure skating fans have to sit on a high horse and politely cheer for everyone, including the people they don't like? That's so phony and fake. No wonder people don't view figure skating as an actual sport...if you laugh/clap when someone messes up, people treat you like the devil.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyre View Post
    How about a poll to show the jinx anyone has received to himself/herself by wishing ill to others?
    No, that would simply be bad karma. A sports jinx is when something good is happening and you point it out and then things go wrong (like in baseball, where you're not supposed to talk about a no-hitter).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    No, that would simply be bad karma. A sports jinx is when something good is happening and you point it out and then things go wrong (like in baseball, where you're not supposed to talk about a no-hitter).
    OK, wrong word. What I meant was bad karma to oneself.
    Last edited by Eyre; 09-17-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Of course I have!

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. In football you hope the other team fumbles the ball and your team gets it. In basketball you hope the other team turns the ball over when they pass or misses when they shoot. In baseball you hope the outfielder drops the ball and your team scores...
    No. I do not. Never have.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I don't think there's anything wrong with that. In football you hope the other team fumbles the ball and your team gets it. In basketball you hope the other team turns the ball over when they pass or misses when they shoot. In baseball you hope the outfielder drops the ball and your team scores..why should it be any different in figure skating?
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    No. I do not. Never have.
    Well, assuming you follow those sports, that makes you a very unusual fan - the whole point of playing defense in football and baseball is to get the ball from the other team without them scoring, and causing turnovers is an excellent way of doing this. It's not just about who has the best offense. Baseball is somewhat different, but there too players will sometimes try to make things more difficult for the other team (e.g. sliding into second base to break up a double play). Of course, that highlights why these sports are not really an applicable parallel for skating: the goal in skating is not for everyone to screw up but the winner, but for the best skater to win. Figure skating is not a contact sport (crashy twists and warmup collisions notwithstanding).

OTOH, skating is a more subjective sport, and my impression of skaters doesn't always align with that of the judges. Which means that sometimes I do hope that not everyone will be at their best in order to have a result I like. But I don't enjoy watching skaters fall, and that's one thing I don't hope for.

vCash
    There have been times where I've hoped a person would mess up and would laugh if they did...I guess I'm a horrible person.

I'm cool with that though. After all, it's just figure skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Oh I forgot Chan. I hate to wish this on anyone but he is not who I want to see win big events so I have to root for 7 falls from him each time, as with 6 or less he is a lock to be given gold by the judges each time. Given that his main competitors currently are slightly inconsistent too, sometimes I need to root for 9 assuming they might have 2.
    But, yeah....I'm there, rooting with you.

vCash
    You are funny and honest! I have too.

vCash
    I've hoped skaters would fail (whether that meant falling or something else, like pop a jump or not do enough rotations in their spins to get a level, I didn't care what the mistake was) so my favorite would win; but I would never take that as far as wishing injury onto a person.

Just like I'd wish basketball players will miss their free throws (using an example where the defense doesn't get to play).
    It's natural in sports.

However, I don't have many favorite skaters, so I often just cheer for good skating overall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    but I would never take that as far as wishing injury onto a person.

However, I don't have many favorite skaters, so I often just cheer for good skating overall.
    Whoa, now I've never gone so far as to wish an injury on someone. I'm not that mean spirited! I would hope for a fall or something so that person wouldn't win...but wishing for an injury is a bit too malicious for me.

Most of my "I hope she messes up" moments came back when I was rooting solely for the Kween. Every other skater could suck it...I wanted the Kween to win! Now, I don't root for only one skater. I've got about a dozen I love and all of them are top skaters which means my faves are almost always on the podium. I prefer it that way. It allows me to relax and enjoy watching skating instead of maintaining eye contact and muttering a jinx while the person is on the ice...

vCash
    Whoa, now I've never gone so far as to wish an injury on someone. I'm not that mean spirited! I would hope for a fall or something so that person wouldn't win...but wishing for an injury is a bit too malicious for me.
    I only said that because of the post insinuating we were hoping skaters would hurt themselves, all the way up to break their neck in a fall. I don't think almost anyone here would ever wish injury.

vCash
    I would never ever wish injury on anyone and I hate it when they fall hard. Ouch.

But I have to confess to hoping MCM would mess up JUST A LITTLE BIT so Brendan Kerry could beat him at JGP Riga, because if that happened, maybe Brendan could win. But I wanted MCM to come second to him. And then I guess karma bit me in the butt and they both bombed and finished off the podium.

But I prefer not to wish for skaters to mess up, but rather, the ones I want to win to blow everyone else out of the park. Much more fun like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I only said that because of the post insinuating we were hoping skaters would hurt themselves, all the way up to break their neck in a fall. I don't think almost anyone here would ever wish injury.
    ...and I'm glad you made that distinction. I'm not sure how we got from fall , as in 'make a mistake' to wishing someone was seriously injured. That's quite an illogical jump, and I have faith that the great, great majority of posters here would not wish that on anyone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I am not too sure. You are still skateBOY.
    Okay, you got me.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I was not sad when Sasha Cohen made her mistake on the 2nd Salchow at 2004 Worlds. Does that count ?

Banned Member
    vCash
    As a former skater who sustained numerous and several severe injuries with fractures and internal organ contusions as a result of falls while skating, my response is a resounding, "NO."

Any other response would be very questionable, IMHO, as very serious injuries can result. Skating and pair skating can be extremely dangerous.

vCash
    It's not quite the same as wishing for a fall, but I have occasionally snickered with pleasure after a skater did fall. I remember Tara's classic butt-splat in the SP at 98 Nationals made me laugh out loud.

I can't quite bring myself, though, to actually root for falls ahead of time. I usually just hope the rival skater messes up in some more minor way (like an uncontrolled landing or a doubled jump), so they are just enough off to make it hard for the judges to justify putting him/her/them ahead of my favorite.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast