Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    My favorite was "Um she's Indian, no disrespect but this is America". The irony of the statement made me

And really, I didn't know that being in the military, having tattoos, and hunting made you a real American. I do none of those things, I must be an Arab Indian terrorist
    She is of Indian origin as in the country of India. Not Native American. Those are two different groups of people. So not the irony you seem to be attributing to that.

Either way, these responses are ridiculous and disturbing.

vCash
    She is of Indian origin as in the country of India. Not Native American. Those are two different groups of people. So not the irony you seem to be attributing to that.
    Oh no, I know that. It just made me laugh to hear someone say that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Some of the girls last night did have talent.
    "Some" is pretty generous But bad talent is part of Miss America's charm IMHO.

Nevertheless, if you've studied opera singing but aren't all that confident in it, it's probably not a great idea to choose a really popular number like "Nessum Dorma". Because with a choice like that even non-opera fans can tell which are the right notes and which aren't
    Last edited by overedge; 09-16-2013 at 10:13 PM.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post

Either way, these responses are ridiculous and disturbing.
    Whitneyskates already responded, but I wanted to throw it out there that the irony of the statement is that "America" isn't a race...it's a mash-up of people ALL over the world. The only true natives of this country are the Native Americans...although there may be more of some "type" than others, ALL other races came to here as transplants at one point or another. That's one of the things that I love about the US; that we don't have a "race", but embrace the very best that the world has to offer. I'm your typical "white" American but my extended family is from Europe. Miss New York's heritage is from India. But we both belong here! So in summary, the commentator who assumed that "America" means white and Western, couldn't be more wrong.

Sorry, I just started typing and I got a bit carried away. :p

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    But we both belong here!

vCash
    What concerns me is that because of her dark complexion some ignorant people are assuming that she is Muslim, a member of Al Queda (one idiot even posted "just 4 days after 9/11...."), that she was not born in this country (well, they say that even about our president!). This is dangerous. I will never forget that a Sikh man was shot and killed in Mesa, Arizona shortly after 9/11 because the killer mistook him for a terrorist because of his turban.

Nina may be safe in NY in that respect, but if she is going to travel around the country, she may need a bodyguard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    Whitneyskates already responded, but I wanted to throw it out there that the irony of the statement is that "America" isn't a race...it's a mash-up of people ALL over the world. The only true natives of this country are the Native Americans...although there may be more of some "type" than others, ALL other races came to here as transplants at one point or another. That's one of the things that I love about the US; that we don't have a "race", but embrace the very best that the world has to offer. I'm your typical "white" American but my extended family is from Europe. Miss New York's heritage is from India. But we both belong here! So in summary, the commentator who assumed that "America" means white and Western, couldn't be more wrong.

Sorry, I just started typing and I got a bit carried away. :p
    Well, gee, thanks. I had no idea that America had people of many races...that never came up while I got a history degree, especially during the master's level courses on the 20th C when race was never an issue in this country. /sarcasm off

All over the web today, I have seen people who are perhaps, shall we nicely say, less educated proclaim that she is most certainly 100% American because "Indians were here first"--thus they, well meaning as they are, think that Indian-American means Native American.

vCash
    Not sure about the US, but in Canada a lot of people with heritage from India refer to themselves as being "South Asian". Which gets past the Indian/Native Indian confusion.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    She referred to herself as Indian-American. And yes, I was pointing out the tweets that treat "American" or America as a race.

Now, before I say this, I want to say that I have the utmost respect for those who serve in our armed forces, I have military members in my family, as well as good friends who have, and are currently, serving overseas - however, I am sick to death of this http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runnin...ost_todd_s.php Just because someone is in the military, or hunts, doesn't make them any more "American" than anyone else. I've seen similar posts and tweets all over the web referring to her as a "true American" simply because of hobby and occupation.

vCash
    Nina went to high school with my cousins and my future brother-in-law in the next town over from where I was born and raised. A few old coworkers who also went there knew her personally. I thought that was quite cool!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Well, gee, thanks. I had no idea that America had people of many races...that never came up while I got a history degree, especially during the master's level courses on the 20th C when race was never an issue in this country. /sarcasm off

All over the web today, I have seen people who are perhaps, shall we nicely say, less educated proclaim that she is most certainly 100% American because "Indians were here first"--thus they, well meaning as they are, think that Indian-American means Native American.
    Oh, it was not my intention to attempt to "school" you at all...it was just something that had been floating around in my brain for awhile that I wanted to get out. I apologize if the timing made you feel like I was criticizing you.

vCash
    Three cheers for STEM!! Woohoo!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    She referred to herself as Indian-American. And yes, I was pointing out the tweets that treat "American" or America as a race.

Now, before I say this, I want to say that I have the utmost respect for those who serve in our armed forces, I have military members in my family, as well as good friends who have, and are currently, serving overseas - however, I am sick to death of this http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runnin...ost_todd_s.php Just because someone is in the military, or hunts, doesn't make them any more "American" than anyone else. I've seen similar posts and tweets all over the web referring to her as a "true American" simply because of hobby and occupation.
    Heh, if people want to give up global tech giants such as Google and Apple and Microsoft to another country so we can be more militaristic instead of tech-oriented and forward-thinking, they're welcome to.

vCash
    Here is Miss America's Bollywood number:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh_0PzIsv5g

vCash
    Thanks for posting, that was impressive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Not sure about the US, but in Canada a lot of people with heritage from India refer to themselves as being "South Asian". Which gets past the Indian/Native Indian confusion.
    That's not bad, but it doesn't differentiate people from India from Pakistan or other countries. I think if we never say Indian when we mean Native American would be more helpful. Just because people from the 15th century & earlier were misinformed doesn't mean we need to perpetuate the idea that Columbus reached Asia.

People who have a problem with her being Miss America (a pretty useless title) need to get over themselves. Who cares? It's not like she's our Secretary of State. She won a beauty contest. A contest for which the criteria is a) female, b) single, c) American, d) beautiful. Brains or talent isn't necessary.

vCash
    South Asia is pretty general, and not very helpful unless the conversation progresses into "What country from SEA are you from?". I am sure most Indians would not want to be confused with being from Pakistan, which its Islamic culture (nothing wrong with it but they could be mistaken for terrorists- LOL).....although the Indo-American beauty did not escape from that prejudice.

It's better to say - "I am from India" instead of saying "I am Indian" which causes confusion (Native American).

vCash
    I don't think Native Americans ever say "I am Indian".

vCash
    Congrats to the new Miss America but I must say I really do not like that yellow dress.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    South Asia is pretty general, and not very helpful unless the conversation progresses into "What country from SEA are you from?". I am sure most Indians would not want to be confused with being from Pakistan, which its Islamic culture (nothing wrong with it but they could be mistaken for terrorists- LOL).....although the Indo-American beauty did not escape from that prejudice.

It's better to say - "I am from India" instead of saying "I am Indian" which causes confusion (Native American).
    But if you are NOT from India, as is the case with the new Miss America, then her referring to herself as Indian-American, is certainly correct and shouldn't cause any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I don't think Native Americans ever say "I am Indian".
    And I doubt they would ever use the term Indian-American to describe themselves.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast