Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 112 of 112
  1. #101
    Saint Smugpawski
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    Posts
    11,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33860
    Years ago I spent a little time on a Sioux reservation. They referred to themselves as Lakota but they also called themselves Indians. The people I talked to on the reservation (one of them a medicine woman) weren't fans of the phrase "Native American" at all and didn't refer to themselves as Native Americans. "We're Indians," they said. They thought the phrase Native American was just more horse hooey from the white man.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

  2. #102

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    But if you are NOT from India, as is the case with the new Miss America, then her referring to herself as Indian-American, is certainly correct and shouldn't cause any confusion.

    And I doubt they would ever use the term Indian-American to describe themselves.
    You are correct in her case. It would be like-e.g.- 'Japanese American'. Unfortunately many Americans assume that 'Indian' means American Indian.

  3. #103

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,274
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30411
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    South Asia is pretty general, and not very helpful unless the conversation progresses into "What country from SEA are you from?"
    I beg to differ.
    First, it's the term that many Canadians with heritage from that region have chosen to use. It's not something imposed externally. And if it's acceptable to them, and they find it useful, then it's really the listener's problem if it's "not very helpful".

    Second, it is usually only used by people with Indian heritage. People with ties to Pakistan, Sri Lanka, etc., call themselves [name of country]-Canadian. So confusion over exactly which country it means is not usually an issue.

    Third, when I was a kid, the term that was used for people from that region was "East Indian". That's even less helpful, and also very colonial.The "east" was to indicate that they were not Canadian (native) Indians, but it could also apply to native Indians from eastern Canada. And, of course, not everyone from that region is Indian, but everyone from that general area got stuck with the same term.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  4. #104

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I beg to differ.
    First, it's the term that many Canadians with heritage from that region have chosen to use. It's not something imposed externally. And if it's acceptable to them, and they find it useful, then it's really the listener's problem if it's "not very helpful".

    Second, it is usually only used by people with Indian heritage. People with ties to Pakistan, Sri Lanka, etc., call themselves [name of country]-Canadian. So confusion over exactly which country it means is not usually an issue.

    Third, when I was a kid, the term that was used for people from that region was "East Indian". That's even less helpful, and also very colonial.The "east" was to indicate that they were not Canadian (native) Indians, but it could also apply to native Indians from eastern Canada. And, of course, not everyone from that region is Indian, but everyone from that general area got stuck with the same term.
    In that case I guess you have to somehow know that 'Southeast Asia' means only India. It won't work in the USA. I can guarantee that.

  5. #105
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Years ago I spent a little time on a Sioux reservation. They referred to themselves as Lakota but they also called themselves Indians. The people I talked to on the reservation (one of them a medicine woman) weren't fans of the phrase "Native American" at all and didn't refer to themselves as Native Americans. "We're Indians," they said. They thought the phrase Native American was just more horse hooey from the white man.
    I've met people who I would refer to as Native Americans who called themselves Indian (when not using their actual tribe; my experience is with people who are Cherokee and Navajo, although one wouldn't check either box on the forms and went with "other" and wrote in Human. We had a few people of every ethnicity who did that each year. Made record keeping a PITA). Likely because when Columbus came and called them Indians, they didn't speak the same language- so the term he gave to them (and the term Indian is the same in English in Spanish) was probably the term they used for their group when speaking with the settlers. So the various tribes grew to think of themselves as Indians in relation to the white settlers, because that was the word they were given to communicate with them. It wasn't for centuries until they were then told to call themselves Native Americans.

    It's a bit white privilege of me to be offended by the term Native American, but I don't like it personally. If you were born here, you're a native to the country. (And even the earliest people came here from somewhere... so what's the cut-off date?) I prefer the way Canada calls them First Nations.

  6. #106

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,274
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30411
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    In that case I guess you have to somehow know that 'Southeast Asia' means only India. It won't work in the USA. I can guarantee that.
    The term is "South Asian", not "Southeast Asian". And since India takes up a considerable part of South Asia, even someone with only a vague familiarity with Asia should be able to figure out what it refers to.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  7. #107

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    The term is "South Asian", not "Southeast Asian". And since India takes up a considerable part of South Asia, even someone with only a vague familiarity with Asia should be able to figure out what it refers to.
    I have more than a vague familiarity with Asia. I am not nitpicking the two terms. I am in the USA and it makes no difference to me.
    Last edited by Vash01; 09-17-2013 at 10:48 PM.

  8. #108

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,274
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30411
    When I said "anyone" I wasn't referring to you in particular. I know that you know where Asia is.

    And the issue we're discussing is what terminology can be used outside of India - which, last time I checked, includes the US - to refer to people of Indian descent. This report might give some idea of why this is an important issue for America .
    http://saalt.org/wp-content/uploads/...ation-2012.pdf
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  9. #109
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,970
    vCash
    1670
    Rep Power
    0
    East Indian reminds me of East india company . I prefer the way English call people of South Asia, Asians... between how do people differentiate between Pakistanis, Indians and Bangladeshi... It is very hard, especially since they where all part of one big country. It is somewhat more easier to differentiate between south and north indians.

  10. #110
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,007
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I saw something a couple days ago that I hadn't realized. Miss New York was crowned Miss America 30 years to the day after Vanessa Williams, also Miss New York, and also from the Syracuse area, was crowned Miss America, and she too received death threats and hateful comments because she was the first black Miss America.

  11. #111

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    Posts
    5,834
    vCash
    4511
    Rep Power
    9461
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Here is Miss America's Bollywood number:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh_0PzIsv5g
    Who was sitting next to Miss New York (wearing the black dress) who thought she was the one who was called to the stage? I can't remember them by State at this point.

    I always like it when you see something different in the Talent portion. I still remember years ago when Miss Hawaii won and had the hula routine. I loved the Bollywood, Irish Dancer, violin and ballerina. And what would Miss America be without a baton routine (but she missed out of the flames).

  12. #112

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Thankfukky watching skating
    Posts
    13,654
    vCash
    317
    Rep Power
    41192
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    I saw something a couple days ago that I hadn't realized. Miss New York was crowned Miss America 30 years to the day after Vanessa Williams, also Miss New York, and also from the Syracuse area, was crowned Miss America, and she too received death threats and hateful comments because she was the first black Miss America.
    I remember that. The first hateful comments might have been because she was black. But mostly it was because she had made porn.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •